Have we really come that far?

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
While letting my mind wander dangerously, I got to think about what the ancients did when faced with a natural disaster. Even IF they had some sort of primitive government, I doubt that they blamed it. They were at least wise enough to know that somethings were beyond the control of mortals. When they looked to the heavens, I also doubt that they blamed any supreme being for the catastrophy.
My guess is that they primarliy looked to themselves and wondered "What in the hell did we do wrong"? They may have resorted to human sacrifice or rituals (as seems to be happening in some form or another today) but (again I'm guessing) they tried to learn from the experience and not make the same mistake again.

dilloduck said:
My guess is that they primarliy looked to themselves and wondered "What in the hell did we do wrong"? They may have resorted to human sacrifice or rituals (as seems to be happening in some form or another today) but (again I'm guessing) they tried to learn from the experience and not make the same mistake again.

Sacrifices were offered to the Gods, who they probably felt punished them. :huh:

Said1 said:
Sacrifices were offered to the Gods, who they probably felt punished them. :huh:

Do you think that they thought so far as to change something they were doing in addition to performing the sacrifices? Something like--don't live under a volcano? Maybe they did just like we're fixing to do. Just rebuild and hope it doesn't happen again.

dilloduck said:
Do you think that they thought so far as to change something they were doing in addition to performing the sacrifices? Something like--don't live under a volcano? Maybe they did just like we're fixing to do. Just rebuild and hope it doesn't happen again.

Being so practical minded, I would have moved without fear of reprisal from the Volcano Gods causing the erutptions.

Said1 said:
Being so practical minded, I would have moved without fear of reprisal from the Volcano Gods causing the erutptions.

I think I would have gotten the hell out of there too. I think common sense existed then too. Watching my buddies fry would have got my feet moving and I woulda thought about why it happened and how to stop it at the next hunt or something.

Interesting topic, Dillo. Wish I could rep you for it! :)

Perhaps the difference is simple: too much government today. People expecting every boo boo, large or small, to be kissed and made all better by Uncle Sam. :huh:

Abbey Normal said:
Interesting topic, Dillo. Wish I could rep you for it! :)

Perhaps the difference is simple: too much government today. People expecting every boo boo, large or small, to be kissed and made all better by Uncle Sam. :huh:

thanks-saying you liked it is enough for me-----I think wierd thoughts sometimes so I use this place to get some feedback from other wierd people :cof:

dilloduck said:
thanks-saying you liked it is enough for me-----I think wierd thoughts sometimes so I use this place to get some feedback from other wierd people :cof:

Are you calling me weird???

:alco:

Abbey Normal said:

Absolutely! What is it about Americans that gives them this sense of entitlement? I don't want to hear "lib this, commie that" because I've noticed this among Americans of all political stripes.

Abbey Normal said:
I like to say it the Southern way:

"She's just a touch different, bless her heart". ;)

LOL---ya--I had never heard of any being called "teched" until I got to Texas. :clap1:

Forum List

Back