Has anyone tried the Theragun?

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas!
I'm talking about the name brand massage gun.
After doing some research it's obviously a better product than the knock offs but damn they're expensive!!
If I knew they worked I wouldnt even blink at the price. The low end model goes for $289. The middle of the road unit is $329 And the top of the line goes for $420.
The price difference from the low end to the middle is only $45 bucks, the top end model is $90 bucks more than the middle of the road model.
It would seem the middle of the road unit would be the best option going by price.
If the thing works as advertised $329 is a steal if not it's a decent chunk of change down the shitter.
I know I get some relief using a simple tennis ball and having the Wife press down on the offending muscle group.
I can steal one of the dogs tennis balls for nothing VS. $329 bucks for the Theragun.

Lacrosse balls are better for rolling pressure point massage. I don't think Theraguns are worth the money, my son has one. The only thing you don't get is the pulsing action, not sure how important that is for massage.

My niece's husband brought theirs when they visited last summer and used it on my really sore shoulder and neck, and it worked really well. I think part of what helped was that they used it to pound on the muscles with a percussive effect, and I don't know if you could do that on your own. If your wife kind of hammered on the muscle with the tennis ball, I'd imagine it would do the same.

Good luck. It sure felt good when they used it on me.

My niece's husband brought theirs when they visited last summer and used it on my really sore shoulder and neck, and it worked really well. I think part of what helped was that they used it to pound on the muscles with a percussive effect, and I don't know if you could do that on your own. If your wife kind of hammered on the muscle with the tennis ball, I'd imagine it would do the same.

The Wife will only be to glad to use it on me.
She hates doing it manually because she cant really push hard enough to be effective.
The Wife is the CFO of a ritzy resort that costs $15K for a membership and another $20K a year.
They of course buy the top end model for use at the gym and exercise portion of the club and they sell them as well.
Thats where she learned about them and they can barely keep them in stock.

The Wife will only be to glad to use it on me.
She hates doing it manually because she cant really push hard enough to be effective.
The Wife is the CFO of a ritzy resort that costs $15K for a membership and another $20K a year.
They of course buy the top end model for use at the gym and exercise portion of the club and they sell them as well.
Thats where she learned about them and they can barely keep them in stock.

Might be worth it.

I was that impressed by the relief I got when my relative used it on me.

Try looking at the PULSE ATLAS or the TIMTAM. Both are lots cheaper.

I looked at a bunch of them but none of them had the power the Theragun has.
I ended up going with the Elite model for $330 VS. the Pro at $420.
The only real difference between the two is the force needed to stall the unit.
It takes 40lbs of pressure to stall the Elite while the Pro requires 60lbs to stop it.
From what I read you wont be pushing hard enough to stall the Elite without some serious pain.
None of the competitors even come close to the performance of the Theragun.
I figure I can return it if it doesnt live up to the hype.

Lacrosse balls are better for rolling pressure point massage. I don't think Theraguns are worth the money, my son has one. The only thing you don't get is the pulsing action, not sure how important that is for massage.

Apparently the pounding action raises the temp of the muscle which tells the body to send more blood to the area.
A lot of pro athletes swear by them. I just hope it's not a placebo effect.

They have multiple heads you can put on it.
They have one in particular that I'm interested in. It's a cone shape which allows you to target smaller spots in the muscle.

.My niece's husband brought theirs when they visited last summer and used it on my really sore shoulder and neck, and it worked really well. I think part of what helped was that they used it to pound on the muscles with a percussive effect, and I don't know if you could do that on your own.

You can't. Most muscle problems are due to a build up of lactic acid and the pounding breaks it up out of the tissue, but you can't do it yourself because the muscle has to be totally relaxed and you can't relax a muscle if you are using it.

I looked at a bunch of them but none of them had the power the Theragun has.
Actually, one model of the TIMTAM generates 80 pounds of force to the Theragun's 60. But I really like the design of the Theragun. You need a good design to apply all of the force and stay comfortable and not get tired. I think that is the biggest liability of the Pulse Atlas.

I ended up going with the Elite model for $330 VS. the Pro at $420.
Let us know how you like it.

You can't. Most muscle problems are due to a build up of lactic acid and the pounding breaks it up out of the tissue, but you can't do it yourself because the muscle has to be totally relaxed and you can't relax a muscle if you are using it.

It really depends on what muscle group you're targeting.
I my case I'll need the Wife to operate the thing since my pain is between the shoulder blades.
If it were say my thigh I could easily target it while in its relaxed state.
Of course I'd still hit the Wife up to run it regardless.

Actually, one model of the TIMTAM generates 80 pounds of force to the Theragun's 60. But I really like the design of the Theragun. You need a good design to apply all of the force and stay comfortable and not get tired. I think that is the biggest liability of the Pulse Atlas.

Let us know how you like it.

After reading this comparison I'm glad I went with the Theragun.
As I mentioned 40 lbs of pressure is is more than adequate,anymore and it's gonna hurt. Putting 80lbs of pressure on a small point is way overkill.
Kinda like having an 80 lb chick stepping on you with stiletto heels.
The Theragun also has more options and tip options.
And the availability of the TimTam is also an issue.
As far as the price goes it's not that different when comparing apples to apples.
I guess we'll see and I'll be sure to get back with my verdict.
Thank God for quick overnight shipping from Amazon,it's supposed to be here before 10 am tomorrow.

Detailed TimTam Vs. Theragun Review: Which One Is The Best?

I my case I'll need the Wife to operate the thing since my pain is between the shoulder blades.
I know the spot well. It requires pinpoint targeting. There is a nerve ganglia there.

If it were say my thigh I could easily target it while in its relaxed state.
Of course I'd still hit the Wife up to run it regardless.
Yeah, it is just so much better when you can relax the whole body as tension, even in one spot, tends to spread and affect many other places in response to the pain and develop secondary issues themselves all interconnected and released, if you are allowed to fully relax while the target area is attacked.

I know the spot well. It requires pinpoint targeting. There is a nerve ganglia there.

Yeah, it is just so much better when you can relax the whole body as tension, even in one spot, tends to spread and affect many other places in response to the pain and develop secondary issues themselves all interconnected and released, if you are allowed to fully relax while the target area is attacked.

This is the first time I've experienced pain between my shoulder blades and man does it Suck!!!
It started several days ago and has gotten progressively worse.
Even the morphine tabs I take for my hip and back pain isnt enough,in fact it barely does a thing for it.
The only thing that really helps is lying flat on my back.

As I mentioned 40 lbs of pressure is is more than adequate,anymore and it's gonna hurt. Putting 80lbs of pressure on a small point is way overkill.
Well, realize that you are always in control of that pressure and by simply backing off on the force YOU apply in applying it to the body, that force can be lessened as needed but is there if you need it.

Thank God for quick overnight shipping from Amazon,it's supposed to be here before 10 am tomorrow.
Oh, you got it from Amazon? Those idiots have been such total clusterfucks the past six months that I've all but cut off buying anything from them and I've told them. My new policy is that I only shop Amazon now as a last resort if I can't find anywhere else. Recently I found a rare music CD of a friend that I've looked for for 20 years, then got an email from the seller saying that they received it back from USPS in such bad damaged condition that they didn't even bother shipping it through to me, they sent it back to the seller instead. Then I was lucky enough to find it from another seller for a few more bucks, but Amazon boxed it with a quart container of ceramic tile cement and didn't bother to put anything at all in the box with the two items to keep things from moving around!

When the box arrived and I picked it up, first thing I noticed was that there was this heavy object roiling around freely all over inside the box! And you guessed it, when I opened the box, the cement was OK, but the CD was just laying face down in the box and the whole back of the case was all busted and cracked as if it had been pounded by a fist and I wrote the seller who assured me that they gave it to Amazon in very good condition!

One thing seems obvious is that the Theragun is just way better designed to make it easy to hold with BOTH hands whereas the others seem designed for one, and that alone would make a big difference in being able to keep the application point steady and aimed on the intended spot as well as allow the user far less arm and wrist fatigue.

Last edited:
This is the first time I've experienced pain between my shoulder blades and man does it Suck!!!

When I get it, I have a small (3" ?) knobby "Yoga Ball" that I put behind me and lean back into in my recliner that has knobs on it that with skill and practice, digs into just the right spot to eventually release the trigger point and allow the muscle to relax.

Forum List

Back