Hard-liners move to keep Iranian voters at home

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I imagine the hardliners figured there would be too many moderates and reformers voting. Regardless of who wins, though, isn't the head Ayatollah the one who has the final say.

Hard-liners move to keep Iranian voters at home

TEHRAN, Iran — Opinion polls show Reformists and moderates have the upper hand ahead of Iran’s key upcoming parliament and Assembly of Experts elections. This has caused serious apprehension among hard-liners about a possible landslide victory for supporters of President Hassan Rouhani. To avoid such an outcome, hard-liners have brought into play a scheme that few could have imagined: getting people to abstain from taking part in the elections and making them doubt the results.

Summary⎙ Print Ahead of Iran’s hotly disputed parliamentary and Assembly of Experts elections, hard-liners are seemingly making efforts to lower voter turnout.
Author Rohollah FaghihiPosted February 25, 2016
In a speech that signals the anxiety of the hard-liners, Gholam Ali Haddad-Adel, head of the main Principlist ticket for the parliamentary elections, said, “During the previous elections, [foreign] satellite TV channels [opposed to the Islamic Republic] used to constantly urge people not to participate in the elections; however, now they are instructing people to cast their votes and have even introduced their preferred candidates.” Moreover, Mehdi Chamran, the conservative chairman of Tehran City Council, said, “Instead of boycotting the elections, the enemies are telling people which candidates they [should] cast their votes for and whom to leave out."

In this vein, the Iranian state broadcaster, which is controlled by hard-liners, has made an unexpected move. It usually always urges people to participate in polls and depicts society as fully willing to cast ballots in the Islamic Republic’s election — even though there is always a minor portion that prefers not to take part in elections. However, Iranian state TV now has begun airing interviews with people who say they don’t want to vote for anyone because their votes won’t count.

Read more:

Hard-liners move to keep Iranian voters at home - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East

You think they'll count any votes they don't like?
Iran IS NOT FLORIDA,you should at times put your brain into gear before opening your Mouth......we are not All Lemmings on Here,....we do actually have a BRAIN

Great. Who's "we"?
In Jamaican parlance for you then...."I and I" leave you to figure out,get back to me.....see you in a couple of years then,steve

I'm just teasing 9th I.......steven

In a quick few days we see how the article, subject of the thread, was anti-Iran propaganda.

In a quick few days we see how the article, subject of the thread, was anti-Iran propaganda.

My, my -- must be an ex-Iranian who misses the Ayatollahs or converted to be a Shia. Whatever, Montelatici is, anything he doesn't like is propaganda. So knowing that, every time he says something is propaganda, you let it go in one ear and out the other. Meanwhile, since Montelatici seems to have little to do with his life except hang around forums, perhaps instead he should move to Iran and open up a bakery. The recipe for this cake is included in the article, and Montelatici can practice and practice until he makes it to perfection.

Learn to make this easy Middle Eastern cake | Toronto Star?

My, my -- must be an ex-Iranian who misses the Ayatollahs or converted to be a Shia. Whatever, Montelatici is, anything he doesn't like is propaganda. So knowing that, every time he says something is propaganda, you let it go in one ear and out the other. Meanwhile, since Montelatici seems to have little to do with his life except hang around forums, perhaps instead he should move to Iran and open up a bakery. The recipe for this cake is included in the article, and Montelatici can practice and practice until he makes it to perfection.

Learn to make this easy Middle Eastern cake | Toronto Star?

I like it saturated and filled with cream.

Forum List

Back