Happy Jim Crow Songs

edthecynic

Censored for Cynicism
Oct 20, 2008
We have been told by racist bigots that blacks did not sing the Blues during Jim Crow. So all who support the racist Ducks, please post all those happy Jim Crow songs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Web007rzSOI]Billie Holiday-Strange fruit- HD - YouTube[/ame]

"Strange Fruit" performed by Billie Holiday 1939.

Southern trees bear strange fruit
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees

Pastoral scene of the gallant south
The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth
Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh
Then the sudden smell of burning flesh

Here is fruit for the crows to pluck
For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck
For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop
Here is a strange and bitter crop
Removed Morbid Image XXXXXX
Link to image too REAL for the Right!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ThomasShippAbramSmith.jpg
The photograph that was cited by the songwriter as the inspiration for the song: Thomas Shipp and Abram Smith, August 7, 1930.

Last edited:
If this is a indirect reference to Phil's willingness to ignore the fruits of segregation in northeast Louisiana, well, please understand it is not just Phil. It was all of white Monroe at the time.

We have been told by racist bigots that blacks did not sing the Blues during Jim Crow. So all who support the racist Ducks, please post all those happy Jim Crow songs.

<snipped>

Phil Robertson was speaking specifically about the blacks he encountered. You don't score any rhetorical points by overgeneralizing.

There is plenty Robertson said which was objectionable without the need for you to make things up.

<snipped>

Phil Robertson was speaking specifically about the blacks he encountered. You don't score any rhetorical points by overgeneralizing.

There is plenty Robertson said which was objectionable without the need for you to make things up.

Sure, like they would RISK becoming the strange fruit on Phil's trees! :cuckoo:

Served with a guy from Monroe who said the sixties into the seventies there was a wild time for race problems. Maybe Phil did not talk to many black folks then. And I don't think Phil was into bad stuff like that either: he was a jock and a toker.

<snipped>

I know. What Robertson said was stupid and lacked insight into how guarded blacks of that time would have been. I'm simply pointing out that he said something less broad than you implied.

idiocy-dead-sky-rat-crankyhead-demotivational-poster-1286214460.jpg

Who dwells on notions like "blacks didn't sing the blues during Jim Crow" except latent or overt racists? If you polled the political affiliation of every KKK member during the civil rights struggle you would have found a card carrying democrat.

I know. What Robertson said was stupid and lacked insight into how guarded blacks of that time would have been. I'm simply pointing out that he said something less broad than you implied.

Just so.

Jim Crow had a very profound effect on music, and it is hard to believe that Phil never heard of Jazz while he worked in the fields with the Blacks.

PBS - JAZZ A Film By Ken Burns: Jazz in Time - Jim Crow Era

Segregation and Jim Crow caused several things to happen. Undoubtedly, the intensification of segregation brought together the Creole (bi-racial) and black communities of the South in ways that would not have happened had more race-mixing been permitted. In New Orleans, this had a dramatic effect in the creation of jazz as both Creole and black musicians brought different but crucially important elements to the mix of this music that might never have come together if these two groups did not find themselves forced together socially and politically. Segregation made it possible for further black cultural syncretism to take place, which made jazz not only a viable expression across a broad spectrum of the artistic black community, but also an expression open to experimentation because it was built on the idea of blending. Because of the Creole influence, jazz was always open to European and parlor influences. Because of the black influence, jazz always had a foundation of African and gutbucket expressions and traditions that continued to inform the music throughout the 20th century. Second, indirectly, southern segregation led to black migration from the South after 1914, spreading the music and de-regionalizing it, thus making it a more compelling art. Third, segregation closed many avenues of expression to blacks as well as many professions; but one that was not closed was music, which compared to other work that blacks could do at that time, was a relatively attractive occupation. So directly, segregation probably accelerated the development of jazz because such a large number of talented young men (and some women) went into it who might have, if the society had been less racially restrictive, either played some other form of music or not played music at all.

Black people much prefer rap where black men sing about beating and killing the bitches and hoes.

Of course black people are much happier today when the five year olds are killed in their own yards and their nine year olds shot in their beds. Under jim crow a black person could not sit at the lunch counter. Now they can sit at the lunch counter but can't read the menu.

Jim crow was a horrible and awful period. It is just much worse today.

Billie Holiday-Strange fruit- HD - YouTube

"Strange Fruit" performed by Billie Holiday 1939.

Southern trees bear strange fruit
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees

Pastoral scene of the gallant south
The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth
Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh
Then the sudden smell of burning flesh

Here is fruit for the crows to pluck
For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck
For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop
Here is a strange and bitter crop

ThomasShippAbramSmith.jpg

The photograph that was cited by the songwriter as the inspiration for the song: Thomas Shipp and Abram Smith, August 7, 1930.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sls5H4xVHys]The Most Racist Cartoon Ever! - YouTube[/ame]

If this is a indirect reference to Phil's willingness to ignore the fruits of segregation in northeast Louisiana, well, please understand it is not just Phil. It was all of white Monroe at the time.
I know that area really well.

It was never all white. Phil even said he was classed as white trash working in the fields. Because he worked with black guys.

Oh and by the way, West Monroe would be considered yank territory at one time. :eusa_angel: Just like Shreveport.

I know my south really well and would not have a problem discussing this with you.

Served with a guy from Monroe who said the sixties into the seventies there was a wild time for race problems. Maybe Phil did not talk to many black folks then. And I don't think Phil was into bad stuff like that either: he was a jock and a toker.

He worked in the fields with blacks. How close can you get? Phil said he was considered white trash.

I mean come freaking on here. He said he was dirt poor and the blacks he worked with in the fields were dirt poor but he was trying to point out what held them together was their faith in Christ and could still sing hymns all day and coming out of the fields.

For crying out loud, that was his point. They all believed in Jesus.

Man oh man you people are some fucked up on your judgement when you can't even grasp what he was saying.

Who dwells on notions like "blacks didn't sing the blues during Jim Crow" except latent or overt racists? If you polled the political affiliation of every KKK member during the civil rights struggle you would have found a card carrying democrat.

And poll the KKK today. Which party would they support.

He worked in the fields with blacks. How close can you get? Phil said he was considered white trash.

I mean come freaking on here. He said he was dirt poor and the blacks he worked with in the fields were dirt poor but he was trying to point out what held them together was their faith in Christ and could still sing hymns all day and coming out of the fields.

For crying out loud, that was his point. They all believed in Jesus.

Man oh man you people are some fucked up on your judgement when you can't even grasp what he was saying.
Well, I have read that the KGB said the Ukrainians were happy during the purges of the 1930's.

Phil was telling about his experience. If you were not there then STFU, you don't know that what he said wasn't true.

Phil was telling about his experience. If you were not there then STFU, you don't know that what he said wasn't true.

Yea i kinda know it wasn't true. What black guy in 1950's LA would tell any white what he really thought?

I can see it now:

Phil: "Hey Big Jim, what do you think about all of this segregation stuff?"

Big Jim: "O Mister Robinson, I don't trouble myself with that stuff. I am happy the Lord blessed me with a job."

Big Jim back at his tennant house: "You won't believe what that white boy Robinson asked me today...."

Forum List

Back