HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY EVERYONE !!

fighting-terrorism-since-1492.jpg

Happy Perspective Day...

Technically, America is different from "occupying someone else's land" because England doesn't own America anymore. America is more of "regular citizens without a country moving there to live". It's more of "Europeans without a country joining Native Americans & establishing a country".

Aside from that, I've always found Columbus to be more English than Italian. I didn't even know he was an Italian until Italians told me about it. Seems a little disgusting to me. Italy had no part in it. Feels more like Italians tagging along & mooching off American glory. Why Italian flag for Columbus? As someone who didn't know Columbus was Italian until Italians told me about it, Italian flag on Columbus day just feels like "Italy clinging to American glory".

Technically, America is different from "occupying someone else's land" because England doesn't own America anymore. America is more of "regular citizens without a country moving there to live". It's more of "Europeans without a country joining Native Americans & establishing a country".

Aside from that, I've always found Columbus to be more English than Italian. I didn't even know he was an Italian until Italians told me about it. Seems a little disgusting to me. Italy had no part in it. Feels more like Italians tagging along & mooching off American glory.

Actually he was working for Spain, but yes, Italian.

I wrote a newspaper piece many years ago about Columbus' actual impacts on the native population and got blowback from readers calling it a slur on Italian Americans. Even though I wrote nothing whatsoever about Italy, Spain or any other country. People will just plug in their own shit. Guess that hasn't changed.

Slur is legal anyway as far as I know. I asked a lawyer. He told me "being a jerk isn't illegal". Aside from whether yours was a slur or not.

People act like every other country wasn't established after conquering LOL
That's like I was on another forum the other day and I got into it with a guy from the UK about violence and war and how shitty America is. WTF makes him think he has any right to argue that? His country has invaded almost every fuckin country on Earth.
Ignorant knee-jerk bullshit.

Aside from that, I've always found Columbus to be more English than Italian. I didn't even know he was an Italian until Italians told me about it. Seems a little disgusting to me. Italy had no part in it. Feels more like Italians tagging along & mooching off American glory. Why Italian flag for Columbus? As someone who didn't know Columbus was Italian until Italians told me about it, Italian flag on Columbus day just feels like "Italy clinging to American glory".

Are you telling us that you did not learn about Columbus being Italian and was sent by the Spanish to establish permanent settlements on the island of Hispaniola, initiated the Spanish colonization of the New World in elementary school?
What school did you go to?

Slur is legal anyway as far as I know. I asked a lawyer. He told me "being a jerk isn't illegal". Aside from whether yours was a slur or not.

There was no slur. It was invented by some reader with a martyr complex. My entire piece was about his actions, like taking Indians back to Europe as specimens, like sending them out to find gold and when they came back empty because it didn't exist there, cutting off their hands -- that sort of thing. Never mentioned where Columbus came from or who he sailed for, yet here was an Italian reader setting up his own strawman so he could be pseudo-offended. I took that to mean he had no argument against what I actually wrote. That's generally how it works.

Interesting that Columbus did his thing in 1492 --- the same year Ferdie and Bella kicked out the Muslims and Jews. Not that there's anything to learn from history or anything....

Last edited:

Forum List

Back