Happy birthday to the greatest actor who ever lived...Marvelous Marlon Brando

• Banned
fame, Brando believed, was an amoral beast, one that he wrestled with for decades without managing to awaken it. he didn't want fame. he wanted to be a normal person.

he was never like other celebrities. he was a thinker and observer, pointing out injustices.

Great actor. Though he sometimes overdid it, which fell flat with me. Overacting is worst than underacting, but his era all followed that recipe to some degree. Probably based on how much radio acting they were exposed to in which overacting was necessary to create imagery.

All opinion of course, for me all-time I tend to go with Orson Welles. I don't care about his politics, he was fantastic on radio, in front of the camera, and as a writer.

Comparing old movies to todays lazy, uncreative writing is like comparing Beethoven to Drake, it's night and day in terms of talent and commitment to the art.

Last edited:
the camera, as always, is on him!

Oddly, when thinking of best actors, Brando does not even enter my mind! When I think of great actors with range who can truly act outside their box (how they are in real life), some of the names that come to mind are (in no particular order):
  • Robert Duvall
  • Jack Nicholson
  • Peter O'Toole
  • Charlie Chaplin
  • Jimmy Cagney
  • Kirk Douglas
  • and surprisingly, Jim Carrey.

Not a big fan of Brando. I thought he tended to overact.
Liked him in On the Waterfront.....but not much else

I coulda been a contenda with Rod Steiger was one of the best scenes ever

Last edited:
....IMO he didn't have the range of someone like Sutherland or Duvall did.....he was good in One-Eyed Jacks....and Apocalypse Now....those were good roles for him....in Mutiny on the Bounty he seemed ''subdued''

immediately upon entering drama class, Brando was branded a genius by his teacher

he was a genius who fought against his genius

did you know?

Brando earned 3 million dollars for a 3-minute role in Superman in 1978

Although I'm hardly a film buff, I always evaluate actors (and actresses) on whether they are able to portray DIFFERENT characters believably. Most actors play pretty much the same person, inserted into different scenarios. By that standard, I think Brando was one of the best, although some of his performances didn't measure up (of course).

As a person, though, he didn't seem all that special. Just a rich, self-centered ass.

Although I'm hardly a film buff, I always evaluate actors (and actresses) on whether they are able to portray DIFFERENT characters believably. Most actors play pretty much the same person, inserted into different scenarios. By that standard, I think Brando was one of the best, although some of his performances didn't measure up (of course).

As a person, though, he didn't seem all that special. Just a rich, self-centered ass.
Brando won an Oscar for his portrayal of Vito Corleone in The Godfather. I always thought he was cartoonish with his mouth stuffed with cotton and mumbling his lines.
Sort of like Tom Hanks in Forest Gump. Create a funny voice and use it throughout the movie.

Robert DeNiro was a better Godfather

Brando won an Oscar for his portrayal of Vito Corleone in The Godfather. I always thought he was cartoonish with his mouth stuffed with cotton and mumbling his lines.
Sort of like Tom Hanks in Forest Gump. Create a funny voice and use it throughout the movie.

Robert DeNiro was a better Godfather
Brando refused to accept the Oscar and sent a Native american woman to refuse it on his behalf

"once you've got enough, money doesn't matter. i hate the conflation of art and commerce. there are no real artists anymore. they all sell-out" - Brando in 1994

i wonder what he would have made of our clickbait culture if he were still alive today, my friends!

Forum List

Back