Halloween is not just for the kids

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
My wife and I are a retired couple, and we look forward to Halloween. We share in our grandchildrens' preparations (costumes, etc.), and look forward to the kids coming door to door in costume, and all that nonsense. We decorate the house, my wife wears a mask (used to wear a costume), and prepare for it.

THis year, we have the unusual circumstance of two homes, and were prepared to give out candy at both. Ten kids at the main house, and one group of six or seven at the townhouse. The townhouse is a row of twenty-five townhouses, all within 20 feet of a common sidewalk. When I was a kid, it would have been a Halloween bonanza.

Our own 3 grandkids went out and enjoyed it immensely. Not our neighborhood.

Is this custom dying or is it just around here?

My wife and I are a retired couple, and we look forward to Halloween. We share in our grandchildrens' preparations (costumes, etc.), and look forward to the kids coming door to door in costume, and all that nonsense. We decorate the house, my wife wears a mask (used to wear a costume), and prepare for it.

THis year, we have the unusual circumstance of two homes, and were prepared to give out candy at both. Ten kids at the main house, and one group of six or seven at the townhouse. The townhouse is a row of twenty-five townhouses, all within 20 feet of a common sidewalk. When I was a kid, it would have been a Halloween bonanza.

Our own 3 grandkids went out and enjoyed it immensely. Not our neighborhood.

Is this custom dying or is it just around here?

A lot more competition from community events, trunk or treats at churches, etc. Plus it is sunday. Friday and saturday Halloweens seem to bring out more people. It is why I would be fine with them changing the date to the last saturday in October.

Nice time to sit in the driveway, hand out candy, and see neighborhood parents we're just beginning to see again after everybody has been sticking indoors all summer due to the Arizona heat.

List of top websites to Find GIFs or Animated Images

Wife always decorates, so far only a dozen have come by. Mostly little kids. Maybe the neighborhood has rolled over. Used to have dozens.

I've always had the bad luck of living in neighborhoods where there's been hardly anybody interested in handing out candy or decorating for Halloween. I remember when I was around 5 years old, my granny had to drive me to the "richer" parts of the city to go TRT-ing, because our neighborhood just didn't get into it, even though there were many kinds that lived on the block.

If anything was done for Halloween, it was done at school.......class parties, haunted house (in the gym), cake walks, pin the tail in on the pumpkin, bobbing for apples, musical chairs, etc....

Years ago our neighborhood was loaded with kids. SUVs would bring loads to the end of the street and drop em off.

Now, not so much.

Trick or treating isn't dying out it's just evolving. Statistacally the number of trick or treaters has remained consistent but like Dexter stated they are going to more centralized, organized events.

A couple of postings on a local neighborhood site had others who had to rush to the store to buy more candy midway through the TorT period. More of a working class neighborhood than where I live.

Forum List

Back