Half In Poverty

Sonny Clark

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2014
Gadsden Alabama
The Real Numbers: Half of America Is in Poverty -- and It's Creeping Upward

The costs of food and housing and education and health care and transportation and child care and taxes have been well-defined by organizations such as the Economic Policy Institute, which calculated that a U.S. family of three would require an average of about $48,000 a year to meet basic needs; and by the Working Poor Families Project, which estimates the income required for basic needs for a family of four at about $45,000. The median household income is $51,000.

The following discussion pertains to the half of America that is in or near poverty, the people rarely seen by Congress.
(1) -- The Official Poverty Threshold Should Be Much Higher
The original poverty measures were (and still are) based largely on the food costs of the 1950s. But while food costs have doubled since 1978, housing has more than tripled, medical expenses are six times higher, and college tuition is eleven times higher. The Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Census Bureau have calculated that food, housing, health care, child care, transportation, taxes, and other household expenditures consume nearly the entire median household income.

(2) -- Almost Half of Americans Own, on Average, NOTHING
The bottom half of America own just 1.1% of the country's wealth, or about $793 billion, which is the same amount owned by the 30 richest Americans. ZERO wealth is owned by approximately the bottom 47 percent.

(3) -- Half of Americans are "Poor" or "Low-Income"
This is based on the Census Department's Relative Poverty Measure (Table 4), which is "most commonly used in developed countries to measure poverty." The Economic Policy Institute uses the term "economically vulnerable." With this standard, 18 percent of Americans are below the poverty threshold and 32 percent are below twice the threshold, putting them in the low-income category.

The official poverty rate increased by 25 percent between 2000 and 2011. Seniors and children feel the greatest impact, with 55 percent of the elderly and almost 60 percent of children classified as poor or low-income under the relative poverty measure. Wider Opportunities for Women reports that "60% of women age 65 and older who live alone or live with a spouse have incomes insufficient to cover basic, daily expenses."

(4) -- It's Much Worse for Black Families
Incredibly, while America's total wealth has risen from $12 trillion to $77 trillion in 25 years, the median net worth for black households has GONE DOWN over approximately the same time, from $7,150 to $6,446, adjusted for inflation. State of Working America reports that almost half of black children under the age of six are living in poverty.

(5) -- Nearly Half of American Households Don't Have Enough to Hold Them for 3 Months
That's according to the Corporation for Enterprise Development. Even more striking, a survey by Bankrate.com concluded that only one in four Americans has "six months' worth of expenses for use in emergency, the minimum recommended by many financial planning experts."

The Real Numbers Half of America Is in Poverty -- and It s Creeping Upward Alternet

What was once the richest nation on Earth, has fallen, and is headed towards third world status. Prosperity and opportunity is no longer a given quantity in America. Our government has failed us, and it's obvious that it has no intentions to lift us up and out of an economic downward spiral. We are a nation of debt, dependency, homelessness, and growing poverty. As many reports indicate, this is a trend that has become entrenched and embedded do deeply, that only a miracle can save us from economic devastation.

The questions become, "how can we reverse this trend, and is it even possible at this stage to reverse it?"

The costs of food and housing and education and health care and transportation and child care and taxes have been well-defined by organizations such as the Economic Policy Institute, which calculated that a U.S. family of three would require an average of about $48,000 a year to meet basic needs; and by the Working Poor Families Project, which estimates the income required for basic needs for a family of four at about $45,000. The median household income is $51,000.

The following discussion pertains to the half of America that is in or near poverty, the people rarely seen by Congress.
The original poverty measures were (and still are) based largely on the food costs of the 1950s. But while food costs have doubled since 1978, housing has more than tripled, medical expenses are six times higher, and college tuition is eleven times higher. The Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Census Bureau have calculated that food, housing, health care, child care, transportation, taxes, and other household expenditures consume nearly the entire median household income.

The bottom half of America own just 1.1% of the country's wealth, or about $793 billion, which is the same amount owned by the 30 richest Americans. ZERO wealth is owned by approximately the bottom 47 percent.

This is based on the Census Department's Relative Poverty Measure (Table 4), which is "most commonly used in developed countries to measure poverty." The Economic Policy Institute uses the term "economically vulnerable." With this standard, 18 percent of Americans are below the poverty threshold and 32 percent are below twice the threshold, putting them in the low-income category.

The official poverty rate increased by 25 percent between 2000 and 2011. Seniors and children feel the greatest impact, with 55 percent of the elderly and almost 60 percent of children classified as poor or low-income under the relative poverty measure. Wider Opportunities for Women reports that "60% of women age 65 and older who live alone or live with a spouse have incomes insufficient to cover basic, daily expenses."

Incredibly, while America's total wealth has risen from $12 trillion to $77 trillion in 25 years, the median net worth for black households has GONE DOWN over approximately the same time, from $7,150 to $6,446, adjusted for inflation. State of Working America reports that almost half of black children under the age of six are living in poverty.

(5) -- Nearly Half of American Households Don't Have Enough to Hold Them for 3 Months
That's according to the Corporation for Enterprise Development. Even more striking, a survey by Bankrate.com concluded that only one in four Americans has "six months' worth of expenses for use in emergency, the minimum recommended by many financial planning experts."

The Real Numbers Half of America Is in Poverty -- and It s Creeping Upward Alternet

What was once the richest nation on Earth, has fallen, and is headed towards third world status. Prosperity and opportunity is no longer a given quantity in America. Our government has failed us, and it's obvious that it has no intentions to lift us up and out of an economic downward spiral. We are a nation of debt, dependency, homelessness, and growing poverty. As many reports indicate, this is a trend that has become entrenched and embedded do deeply, that only a miracle can save us from economic devastation.

The questions become, "how can we reverse this trend, and is it even possible at this stage to reverse it?"

How can 47% own zero wealth?

Aren't tattoos an investment in the future?

What we need to do is redefine "poor".

We have the fattest, most nattily dressed, high-tech poor in the world.

Virtually every American is a 1%er, compared to the rest of the world.

Our problem is we can't help the truly poor for the slugs on the dole that should be working.

Last edited:
I don't believe a damn thing from this Federal government anymore. Especially something under this Obama regime. They have propaganda down to a science. which they then throw science up in your face to justify it

HALF of America, right

The picture needs to be painted far more accurately. For example, what $48,000 buys in LA, CA is very different from rural Ohio. Also averages are pretty meaningless on income or wealth. Then there is the actual definition of poverty in America. TVs and cell phones figure into that how?

You want to turn it around?
Stop taxing the shit out of the American people and small business would be a good start.
But truthfully I see no hope for this country as long as we have the current crop of politicians in washington.

Interestingly, white folks make up the majority of America's poverty-stricken people but the Mainstream Media loves to remind us of all of those poor minorities.

race-poverty.jpg

The Whiteness Of Poverty The Dish

I believe that is what this government wants. to drive us all into the poorhouse so YOU can climb on the TAXPAYER funded Gravy Train. Then they can be OUR MASTERS. Maybe people will wake up. maybe not

When your own President releases a video like this. What does that tell YOU?

snip:

The Obama campaign released an interactive piece called "Julia", a cradle-to-grave chronology of all the wonderful things Obama's expanded government will do for women from birth until death. It's a celebration of a how a woman can live her entire life by leaning on government intervention, dependency and other people's money rather than her own initiative or hard work.

I believe that is what this government wants. to drive us all into the poorhouse so YOU can climb on the TAXPAYER funded Gravy Train. Then they can be OUR MASTERS. Maybe people will wake up. maybe not

When your own President releases a video like this. What does that tell YOU?

snip:

The Obama campaign released an interactive piece called "Julia", a cradle-to-grave chronology of all the wonderful things Obama's expanded government will do for women from birth until death. It's a celebration of a how a woman can live her entire life by leaning on government intervention, dependency and other people's money rather than her own initiative or hard work.

I couldnt agree more.
I'll never understand the progressive rush to become a ward of the state.
Shit makes my stomach turn.

I wonder how many in the 43% white race are women, and children? I am a 66 year old white woman, (yes I am white and I do matter). I worked until I was totally disabled in 2005. I live on my social security check and the kindness of friends. Before I get my monthly payout, a monthly payment for Plan B is deducted. From my net, I pay out another 230.00 on supplemental insurance and a drug plan. My portion to pay on drugs is maybe 75.00 a month. I live on the rest. I am about $50.00 a month above the poverty level. I have a 15 year old car, and no debt. I shop at thrift stores, and know where to go for food bargains. I take on work sometimes, and it's always temporary, but every little bit helps.

I had no intention of spending my last couple of decades being concerned about how I was going to pay for meds and still be able to eat. I expected to work longer than I actually did. I didn't anticipate a divorce. The interesting part of this is that I am not an exception, I am the rule of thumb. My kids are 20 years from ending their work life. There is no way to tell if they will have enough to live comfortably, or end up like me. Working hard is not the answer to retiring with money in the bank. Neither is saving unless you are in the clouds with the rich.

There are too many people on this planet who are poor, and that number increases every second. Perhaps more wars and a few rampant plagues will level the playing field somewhat. I wouldn't expect the rich to give a lot of money away.

It sure is sad what the progressive movement has done to this country. The welfare/warfare state they love, promote, and wish to expand is the very thing that will destroy the nation.

It sure is sad what the progressive movement has done to this country. The welfare/warfare state they love, promote, and wish to expand is the very thing that will destroy the nation.
What other choice do we have except for welfare?
The war on poverty has been an abysmal failure and yet the left wants it continued and expanded without modification. Those who espouse changes want the poor to die and are considered racists, by the left.

It is well known that should a government subsidize something, you get more of it. But then, commonsense is not a left wing trait.

Prosperity and opportunity is no longer a given quantity in America.

I agree, the latest 20 years or so the economic situation for the 80% of americans has seen a decline.
Nevertheless claiming that half of America is in poverty conditions is extreme.
Usually the level for extreme poverty is below 2 USD per person / day . That would be 8 USD for a household of 4.
The international threshold for poverty is 10 USD per person / day. That would be 40 USD for a houshold 4.
That would be 14,600 USD a year for a household of 4.
Even if we adjust this to consider the cost of living is higher in the US than in most third world countries, this would yield 23,360 USD.
This is slightly below the current minimum wage.
That said, the trend of the household income is not encouraging at all.
US_GDP_per_capita_vs_median_household_income.png

Last edited:
Prosperity and opportunity is no longer a given quantity in America.

I agree, the latest 20 years or so the economic situation for the 80% of americans has seen a decline.
Nevertheless claiming that half of America is in poverty conditions is extreme.
Usually the level for extreme poverty is below 2 USD per person / day . That would be 8 USD for a household of 4.
The international threshold for poverty is 10 USD per person / day. That would be 40 USD for a houshold 4.
That would be 14,600 USD a year for a household of 4.
Even if we adjust this to consider the cost of living is higher in the US than in most third world countries, this would yield 23,360 USD.
This is slightly below the current minimum wage.
That said, the trend of the household income is not encouraging at all.
US_GDP_per_capita_vs_median_household_income.png
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. It supports the poor and dependent society that we've created.

Why blame the wellfare state and not the excesive military expenditure ?
I understand the US has to deal with the non NATO nuclear powers . But still military expenditure more than triple of Rusia and China combined.
You may argue that such expenditure is needed to keep the US safe. But doesn't universal healthcare achive the same in a different way?

Why blame the wellfare state and not the excesive military expenditure ?
I understand the US has to deal with the non NATO nuclear powers . But still military expenditure more than triple of Rusia and China combined.
You may argue that such expenditure is needed to keep the US safe. But doesn't universal healthcare achive the same in a different way?

Just wow.....

Forum List

Back