Gun owners aren't telling people they own guns....researchers are irritated....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Yeah...you have anti-gun extremists putting the names of concealed gun owners in their papers, you have government agencies targeting gun stores....so there is absolutely no reason to tell random callers claiming to be pollsters that you own a gun.....and this is irritating to anti-gun researchers....

owever, it seems a recent study took a look at it and realized it’s a bigger deal than folks thought.

“Some individuals are falsely denying firearm ownership, resulting in research not accurately capturing the experiences of all firearm owners in the U.S.,” says Allison Bond, a doctoral student with Rutgers University’s New Jersey Gun Violence Research Center and lead author of “Predicting Potential Underreporting of Firearm Ownership in a Nationally Representative Sample,” published last month in Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. “More concerningly, these individuals are not being reached with secure firearm storage messaging and firearm safety resources, which may result in them storing their firearms in an unsecure manner, which in turn increases the risk for firearm injury and death.”
Bond frames the problem of dishonesty among survey respondents as posing a danger to those surveyed since they don’t receive proper firearm safety information. But her deeper concern is with the validity of research into firearms culture and policy in a country where experts don’t have anywhere near as good a handle on the prevalence of gun ownership as they had believed.

“The implications of false denials of firearms ownership are substantial,” claim the authors. “First, such practices would result in an underestimation of firearms ownership rates and diminish our capacity to test the association between firearm access and various firearm violence-related outcomes. Furthermore, such practices would skew our understanding of the demographics of firearm ownership, such that we would overemphasize the characteristics of those more apt to disclose. Third, the mere existence of a large group of individuals who falsely deny firearm ownership highlights that intervention aimed at promoting firearm safety (e.g., secure firearm storage) may fail to reach communities in need.”

Yeah...you have anti-gun extremists putting the names of concealed gun owners in their papers, you have government agencies targeting gun stores....so there is absolutely no reason to tell random callers claiming to be pollsters that you own a gun.....and this is irritating to anti-gun researchers....

owever, it seems a recent study took a look at it and realized it’s a bigger deal than folks thought.

There's quite a movement in WA state of people who refuse to register their firearms.

That pisses the the gov goons off!

Last edited:

Not rocket science. The only reason there are polls is so they can manipulate the data. I quit answering any pollster about 40 years ago. Its none of their business. If you give them no ammo, they can't manipulate it.

I wouldn’t tell anyone, particularly over the phone, that I did not know if I owned firearms.

Too many whacky gunophobes out there.

I don’t tell a doctor if they ask because they do it for the CDC.

I wouldn’t tell anyone, particularly over the phone, that I did not know if I owned firearms.

Too many whacky gunophobes out there.

I don’t tell a doctor if they ask because they do it for the CDC.

WTF business is it of a doctor's if you do or don't own a particular tool?

I'll take "Why I Don't Go To Doctors" for $2000, Alex.

Rutgers

That bastion of liberal anti gun wokeness

Why should gun owners trust them?

Yeah, tell us why, when a doctor asks for information that has nothing to do with healthcare, it's not perfectly okay to lie.

Self defense.

Doctors are not God. Far from it. Medicine is the third leading cause of death in America.

I don't tell anyone I own guns.

Most of my friends don't know I carry either.

It's none of their business.

Forum List

Back