Guess who BP gave the most $$$ too?

Guess who BP gave the most $$$ too?

Is that why President Obama is making them pay for the cleanup?

BP is obligated to pay for the cleanup. Obama had nothing to do with it.

Oh really?

If Obama is in the pocket of BP like the OP in this thread claims it would be easy enough to forgive BPs responsibility. Isn't that what political contributions are for? Future favors?

Obama with all his power cannot change the law.

And it's very important to point out that the TOTAL campaign donations to Obama over the years from BP was in fact less than $80,000.

Obama received a total of $77,051 from the oil giant

Read more: Obama biggest recipient of BP cash - Erika Lovley - POLITICO.com

And that was over a 20 Year period.

Which is such a small amount in the grand scheme of things that it is laughable.

Such a small amount of money was most likely received from individual donations from employees over the years.

Last edited:
Obama Ad 2008

Obama: Since the gas lines of the ’70s, Democrats and Republicans have talked about energy independence, but nothing’s changed — except now Exxon’s making $40 billion a year, and we’re paying $3.50 for gas.
I’m Barack Obama. I don’t take money from oil companies or Washington lobbyists, and I won’t let them block change anymore. They’ll pay a penalty on windfall profits. We’ll invest in alternative energy, create jobs and free ourselves from foreign oil.
I approve this message because it’s time that Washington worked for you. Not them. "

The point here is that OBAMA LIED!!!

BP is obligated to pay for the cleanup. Obama had nothing to do with it.

Oh really?

If Obama is in the pocket of BP like the OP in this thread claims it would be easy enough to forgive BPs responsibility. Isn't that what political contributions are for? Future favors?

Obama with all his power cannot change the law.

But the Dems in Congress, with Obama's blessing, are trying to raise the liability cap to $10B, ex post facto. Menendez has co-sponsored the bill.

Lawmaker: Higher Liability Cap To Apply To Gulf Coast Spill - KFWB NEWS TALK 980

And it's very important to point out that the TOTAL campaign donations to Obama over the years from BP was in fact less than $80,000.

Obama received a total of $77,051 from the oil giant

Which is such a small amount in the grand scheme of things that it is laughable.

Such a small amounut of money was most likely received from individual donations from employees over the years.

Maybe from oil workers who were tired of the dangers their employers put them in.

Did Obama promise not to take these types of donations?

Is that what the right here is claiming?

He didn't promise he wouldn't take oil company dollars. He said as a matter of fact "I don’t take money from oil companies".

Which we now know is a lie.

Employees of an oil company are not the same as the oil company itself.

Employees are in fact free to donate to whomever they want, as private citizens.

Did BP make a corporate donation to the Obama campaign? Do you have proof of that?

I'm willing to bet that you don't, mainly because such donations were illegal up until the recent supreme court decision, a decision that every one of you on this thread supported.

BP and its employees have given more than $3.5 million to federal candidates over the past 20 years, with the largest chunk of their money going to Obama, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

Obama Ad 2008

Obama: Since the gas lines of the ’70s, Democrats and Republicans have talked about energy independence, but nothing’s changed — except now Exxon’s making $40 billion a year, and we’re paying $3.50 for gas.
I’m Barack Obama. I don’t take money from oil companies or Washington lobbyists, and I won’t let them block change anymore. They’ll pay a penalty on windfall profits. We’ll invest in alternative energy, create jobs and free ourselves from foreign oil.
I approve this message because it’s time that Washington worked for you. Not them. "

No, he didn't. Individual donations from employees of a company that happen to support his politics is NOT the same as taking corporate donations.

Are you now saying that employees of a corporation should not be allowed to make political donations???

*cough* Doodad Pro *cough*

We don't really know from whom Obama received his campaign donations.

In fact, as Mr Obama raised several hundred million dollars in campaign donations in 2008, I suspect one could pick any company at random, and there would be a good chance that he is "the biggest recipient" of campaign donations from them.

*cough* Doodad Pro *cough*

We don't really know from whom Obama received his campaign donations.

All campaign donations are registered and trackable, despite your lame implications.

So unless you have some PROOF, you should really just not bother, it calls YOUR credibility into question, not Obama's.

Last edited:
In fact, a quick search of "Open Secrets" shows us that Obama received a little over $1000.00 in campaign donations from BP in the last election.

Presidential Donor Lookup Results | OpenSecrets

That's right, I said ONE THOUSAND. Not one million, not even ten thousand, ONE THOUSAND, and that was from 5 individual donors.

I can see why the right wingers think he is in the pocket of BP.........they look at him like their equivalent of Dick Cheney

Obama Ad 2008

No, he didn't. Individual donations from employees of a company that happen to support his politics is NOT the same as taking corporate donations.

Are you now saying that employees of a corporation should not be allowed to make political donations???
Only if the company approves and it goes to a Right wing party.

My friend's dad was one of those BP oil workers that gave money to Obama, and I could care less if he did.. He is a liberal, who agrees with Obama's politics, and should have ever right to donate to Obama's campaign. He is also not an evil oil man.

And he had every right to do so. My point is that this sort of thing goes on. Obama claimed he that he didn't take money from oil companies. NO POLITICIAN does. So his remark misrepresented the facts. Also, just because someone works for a particular company should not preclude that person from making a political donation.... it is also fact that corporations pay candidates through personal donations from its employees. That's a bad thing. See, things are often not black or white.... they are gray. Like Obama pretending that he's 'forcing' BP to pay.

I didn't think he was saying he was forcing them to pay, I think he was making the point that they would. Which he has to do, because people like Lost Soul and others will bitch about him being too soft on them..

Did the WH spokesperson, Gibbs, not use the phrase 'foot on the neck' when referring to BP paying for the clean up? Exactly what was that supposed to infer? Words are important - the WH knows that better than most. They allow the public to get the impression (by the way they phrase their statements) that make the WH sound like its holding BP accountable. I want proof from anyone that BP have ever even suggested that they would NOT pay.

In fact, a quick search of "Open Secrets" shows us that Obama received a little over $1000.00 in campaign donations from BP in the last election.

That's right, I said ONE THOUSAND. Not one million, not even ten thousand, ONE THOUSAND, and that was from 5 individual donors.

If Obama took one dallar he still lied when he said he doesn't take money from oil companies. No matter how you spin it the fact is OBAMA LIED!!!

If Obama took one dallar he still lied when he said he doesn't take money from oil companies. No matter how you spin it the fact is OBAMA LIED!!!

He took money from employees, not the corporation, what is so hard to understand?

Forum List

Back