Gradeschool Teacher Shoots Herself In The Leg

I shudder to think about the words that the Pudbite threw into his Google search to find this story. :badgrin:
Dan Simpson is a liberal political blogger who has written for various websites and is the co-founder of Firebrand Progressives

--LOL

Which is exactly why we need to stop this bullshit discussion over gun "rights" and just ban all of them. No more guns, no more accidents like the one in the OP. Simple as that.

Have you actually thought through what happens next? If in your perfect world there were absolutely no guns? Please elaborate.

Teachers are not solders. They are trained to teach, not kill. Putting a gun in the hands of someone who doesn't know what there're doing is a disaster waiting to happen.
While it's true that few teachers would be comfortable carrying concealed firearms and by no means should they be required to. But there are some teachers who are experienced shooters and would have no problem wearing a gun. And an armed, well-trained teacher or two would make a big difference if an armed psycho invaded their school.

The chance of a teacher being in a life and death situation with an armed gunman in the classroom is about 1 in 10 million. What do you think the chances are that this teacher who has worked for years in the classroom and never faced this situation will make the right split second decision?
:You're quite right about the odds. But I believe one of the reasons schools appeal to mass shooters is the current awareness that there are no armed personnel to be concerned with. This aversion to guns is a virtual invitation to them.
Although you make a good point, I really don't think arming teachers is a good idea. I would never trust a non-police/military trained person to be carrying guns around a school my kids attend. Simply have police officers present in the schools, it's what our taxes pay for.

18 states have given teachers permission to carry guns at school with little more required than a permission slip, although few teachers are doing so. One reason might be that most of these states, have not given teachers the kind of authority they give police in dealing with violence. The question as to what the teacher's legal position might be if he misinterprets the situation and kills an innocent student, or draws his weapon to prevent what he believes might be a violent act and causes the violence he's trying to prevent, or a student uses his weapon against other students etc.... A policeman's use of his weapon is well defined but not so with teachers.

I think in the long run, the only teachers that will carry guns are those in schools in high crime areas where the teacher is in fear for himself and his students, certainly not in schools like Sandy Hook or Columbine.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear the teachers are arming themselves. If all teachers did this there would never be another Newtown or Columbine. If all soldiers did this there would never be another repeat as we saw at Ft. Hood.

smarterthantheaveragebear said:
why not just put police at school?

Yes, because we can always trust the frick'n police. :badgrin:
I'd trust a cop with a gun more than I'd trust some teacher who believes that teaching my kid that having two daddies is normal is an important part of education with a gun.

PERIOD
Because a teacher that does not blame a student for their parents is so much less trustworthy than a cop that has to have cameras to make them behave.

Teachers are not solders. They are trained to teach, not kill. Putting a gun in the hands of someone who doesn't know what there're doing is a disaster waiting to happen.
While it's true that few teachers would be comfortable carrying concealed firearms and by no means should they be required to. But there are some teachers who are experienced shooters and would have no problem wearing a gun. And an armed, well-trained teacher or two would make a big difference if an armed psycho invaded their school.

The chance of a teacher being in a life and death situation with an armed gunman in the classroom is about 1 in 10 million. What do you think the chances are that this teacher who has worked for years in the classroom and never faced this situation will make the right split second decision?
:You're quite right about the odds. But I believe one of the reasons schools appeal to mass shooters is the current awareness that there are no armed personnel to be concerned with. This aversion to guns is a virtual invitation to them.
Although you make a good point, I really don't think arming teachers is a good idea. I would never trust a non-police/military trained person to be carrying guns around a school my kids attend. Simply have police officers present in the schools, it's what our taxes pay for.

18 states have given teachers permission to carry guns at school with little more required than a permission slip, although few teachers are doing so. One reason might be that most of these states, have not given teachers the kind of authority they give police in dealing with violence. The question as to what the teacher's legal position might be if he misinterprets the situation and kills an innocent student, or draws his weapon to prevent what he believes might be a violent act and causes the violence he's trying to prevent, or a student uses his weapon against other students etc.... A policeman's use of his weapon is well defined but not so with teachers.

I think in the long run, the only teachers that will carry guns are those in schools in high crime areas where the teacher is in fear for himself and his students, certainly not in schools like Sandy Hook or Columbine.
I think it would be FUN to arm teachers. It would make parent teacher conferences much more civil.

I'm glad to hear the teachers are arming themselves. If all teachers did this there would never be another Newtown or Columbine. If all soldiers did this there would never be another repeat as we saw at Ft. Hood.

smarterthantheaveragebear said:
why not just put police at school?

Yes, because we can always trust the frick'n police. :badgrin:
I'd trust a cop with a gun more than I'd trust some teacher who believes that teaching my kid that having two daddies is normal is an important part of education with a gun.

PERIOD
Because a teacher that does not blame a student Wtheir parents is so much less trustworthy than a cop that has to have cameras to make them behave.

what commander? who said jack about blaming kids for their parents?

I think it would be FUN to arm teachers. It would make parent teacher conferences much more civil.
I only go with one interest in mind,,will the female teachers have sex with me....

My brother shot himself in the leg at age 17, while playing Wyatt Earp out in the woods back in 1958. He almost had it down pat: draw, cock, fire. But then he had a slight distraction, and he: cock, fire, draw. Luckily it was only a 22. he hardly limps today.....

Parents and other school employees have the right to know if teachers/school personnel are carrying loaded guns. Surely, no one would disagree with that.

Yes, they should have meetings with the school board and decide if they want teachers to carry guns....as far as implementing the policy, the names and locations in the school district of the armed staff and teachers should be secret...that way they can arm fewer teachers and staff but the not knowing provides protection for the entire district...since the killers won't know which schools have armed staff and how many may confront them...
Most school violence is caused by students that attend the school, not mad gunman. If a teacher or principal has to use a gun, he will probably be to killing one of his students.

If a teacher or principal has to use a gun, he will probably be to killing one of his students.

With respect...the teacher has many options in dealing with a student that becomes violent....they generally have only really bad options in the face of a killer rampaging through the school ( a gun free zone) with guns....

Some perspective on the issue would be nice...

as of 2011

there are 99 thousand public schools in the USA

so the odds are much greater then one in ten million

when you look at the school shooting in Newtown for example

the principal made a split second decision to act

unfortunately she was only "armed" with a book

Sad story, hope it didn't hurt too bad, and no you cannot have my guns, or my rights to own them.

And by the way Ludely, I know you're hoping stories like this happen.

This is the type of story that makes Luddy masturbate furiously.

These stories of accidents and accidental death further their cause...it hurts ours...so which side do you think really wants better safety education for firearms...?

These stories of accidents and accidental death further their cause...it hurts ours...so which side do you think really wants better safety education for firearms...?

of course the pro gun side promotes firearms safety

at one time the brady

certainly not the gun banners

they hate programs like eddie eagle for example

Which is exactly why we need to stop this bullshit discussion over gun "rights" and just ban all of them. No more guns, no more accidents like the one in the OP. Simple as that.

Okay, then what...you guys never answer that...there is still going to be violence against innocent people...more, since now you have disarmed the people who weren't victims before...there is still gun violence in Britain...more and more to the point they are beginning to arm their Bobbies, and in Australia...among "Bikey" gangs and foreign immigrants...

Forum List

Back