Government Take-Over of Rental Housing

I don't recall you proposing anything except to repeat housing is a right you made up in your head.
Basic human right.
So let's hear of this solution of yours.
What do you think?
How does a country now near 30 trillion in debt provide housing to everybody?
What's your thought on this?
I mean......if they provide you with housing, then they should provide everybody with housing to make it fair, right?
What do you think about that?

Let me try to clarify her statement: If there are no profits involved in owning rental property, there is no use in having rental property.
Okay.
If I can't make money as a landlord, then I don't want it and neither will anybody else.
Okay.
If government is going to control how much profit I can make, again, my money is going to be put to better use in different investments where there are no limits on what my money can make.
Sounds good.

Getting the training or skills to have a job where you can afford housing yourself.
Sounds nice, but with rents skyrocketing 30% - 50% NOW, that isn't going to work NOW. We're in a MASSIVE crisis.
If you live in one of these leftist areas where the cost of living is so high, you just about need to be a doctor to afford housing, you move the hell away from there.
Virtually nowhere to go at this point - it's a massive national crisis.

This is definitely on track. For example, every dollar invested in materials that go towards an owner-built tiny home is money that appreciates in value. It’s not a traditional sprawling venture, though the philosophy is powerful. ‘Home ownership is a profoundly American idea.’ (Desmond, Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City)
Tiny homes could definitely be a solution.

I've never seen anything like that here, and that's a common practice with illegals and not Americans. The solution is to get rid of the illegals.
It's happening everywhere. Getting 30 million plus illegals out would solve the problem, agreed.
I never said it was.
Great - anecdotes from 50 years ago have limited value.
What I said is that some had the same problems in the 60s, and that's how they solved their problem.
Great, but it's still not 50+ years ago. Times have changed greatly, including BILLIONS more people, and tens of millions more illegals here.
There is no reason we can't do that today.
See above.

I've lived in slum homes...first as a poor teenager, but then later I paid out the nose to rent a slum vacation rental that I had to pay to fix just so it wouldn't kill me because of a housing shortage during the winter here in florida....government control of housing will not lower rent. It regulates and subsidizes it which both raise rent. Overpopulation and government spending leading to inflation are what is pushing up rent...............really think getting rid of illegals and their anchor offspring citizenship would be best to make housing affordable.,
Concur.

In that statement alone I can tell you have no idea what you're talking about.
Fallacious/irrelevant ad hominem.
Years ago a mother and son came here from New York.
50 years ago?
Her son wanted to attend motorcycle school here and of course needed a place to live.
Okay.
I couldn't rent to him (he had no job) so I rented the unit to her and he lived in it.
Great.
He got out of school and ended up getting a job and staying here.
Sounds good.
While he was here, he told me our cost of living was unbelievable.
"Was" perhaps the operative word.
He said if I could move my rental units to the outside of NYC, I could not only easily charge three times what I was getting for my rental units here, but I'd have a waiting list a mile long.
Location, location, location.
I think you need to get out a little more.
One of us does; I'm living in 2021 myself. :)
Rental prices do not reflect where the jobs are because there are jobs everywhere in the US.
Incorrect; partially correct.
Rental costs are proportional with the cost of living of an area.
To some extent.

Of course I do.
Ridiculous.
You don't have land investments.
Presumption.
You need to have reasonable intelligence to be a landlord.
I thought you said you were a landlord...?
You can't even answer a post without breaking it up sentence by sentence.
Irrelevant.
Furthermore, if you had any experience being a landlord, you sure as hell wouldn't be talking the way you do.
Fallacious nonsense.
It seems you are totally clueless about what it takes to manage rental property, especially the costs associated with it.
Fallacious derailing ad hominem nonsense.

Wait a minute, where is it written I should be the one providing that human right?
Nowhere.
I didn't get into this to provide human rights.
Great.
That's not what investments are for.
They can be, but fine.
When I bought my properties, I read the loan papers from the bank.
Smart move.
Nowhere did it say I'm obligated to provide you with affordable housing.
Nor have I said this.
It's not written anywhere except in your head.
Your head; I never said this.
I should invest in something else?
Why not? Knock yourself out! Or not.
How about you should invest in yourself to make sure your labor can pay you enough to afford shelter.
Sounds good; housing is a basic human right.

Good grief man, you want guns to be a fundamental right but not food, a place to live, and basic healthcare?

Good grief leftist, our founding fathers guaranteed firearms are a fundamental right. There’s a very wise reason why they didn’t make food, housing and healthcare a fundamental right. See if you can tamp down your feelings long enough to let some of your long lost common sense rise up and figure out why?

If you're confused by words, look them up. :)
Double exactly.

"to call housing a right is to misunderstand rights entirely"

This. This is the pervasive, yet subtle, problem undermining most of our politics. And it's not just because some people stupidly claim that goods are rights - it's because the real meaning of rights is getting lost in the process. We have people screaming to destroy actual rights in the name of delusional rights.
Housing? It's a BASIC human right.

Highly doubtful; rents in the Seattle area are skyrocketing in the 30% - 50% range; it's a crisis.

I've parroted nothing; housing is housing.

Obviously.

See Websters; I won't play the "define what you mean by what" game.

Obviuously not.

Housing is a basic human right.

Great.

Bizarre comment.

Nonsense.

More nonsense.

Irrelevant; housing is a basic human right.

Irrelevant/derailing.

Housing is a basic human right.
LOL.

In all that mess all you did is parrot the same thing again and again whilst being utterly unable to actually define what you mean by 'housing is a basic human right.'

IOW, you have no idea what you even mean. It is telling when you cannot even parse your own statements.

Defining what? Do you not have access to Google? On purpose?
Don't be an evasive twat. You keep chanting that phrase, over and over again, as though it implies something profound. Why? What policy does it dictate? Why is it so import for you to say?

I'm beginning to think you have no interest in being understood, that you're just trolling. Which is fine I guess. You're certainly not the first, nor the only, troll on USMB.

Forum List

Back