Government as Employer

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Here in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania we have an archaic institution called the State Liquor Control Board, and we have the undying pleasure of being able to purchase our wine and spirits directly from the Commonwealth. Indeed, with a few insignificant exceptions, we (and our drinking establishments) are compelled to buy ALL of our wine and spirits from the Commonwealth.

We buy it in what are called, "State Stores," staffed by unionized state employees, many of whom are quite knowledgeable about the stuff they sell. There are a couple thousand of them.

We have, in Pennsylvania, a Republican Governor, and a Republican majority in both the House and the Senate. The "Republicans" claim to want to get rid of the PLCB (or revamp it to permit privatize liquor sales), but WE CAN'T DO IT!

Why? Because the State Store unionized employees are MORE POWERFUL THAN THE GOVERNOR, THE STATE HOUSE AND THE STATE SENATE COMBINED!

Makes me want to be an anarchist.

As a matter of public policy, what difference should it make to me whether the people selling liquor in Pennsylvania are government employees or private employees? Do I care if they are making $50k/yr rather than twice as many of them making half that? I prefer the latter! Do I care if they are going to be retiring at age 52 and I'll be supporting them (and providing them virtually free health benefits) for the rest of their blood-sucking lives? You bet I do!

Makes my blood boil. And I don't even drink!

Forum List

Back