Gov. Perry cut firefighters budget by 75%: Republican Leadership and Foresight?

Anyone else want to dispute the budget date?

I can put up more links if you want.

I'm just waiting for people to start claiming the budget data I posted is incorrect or somehow misleading...

Hell's bells I'm waiting for any kind of debate besides "Perry bad", "Perry prays", "Perry eeeeeevil".

I thought school had begun and basements were empty of lib kids off to classrooms with their tofu lunches.

Sadly this does not appear to be the case.

:lol:

I'm not 100% sure, but usually government budgets start in September or October.

According to the article, this budget is now in effect.

This highlights a big problem, IMO. States and cities have almost no choice now but to cut services but cutting services means more people will die and more property will be lost. And we cannot depend on other states to help us as much as they have in the past.

Texas's fiscal year begins July 1, so they are now on the 2012 budget and the cuts are in effect.

With all due respect, you are in error.

September 1 is the beginning of the Texas fiscal year.

So Perry relented, but his support for tapping the Rainy Day Fund now came with an ultimatum about the budget that begins Sept. 1.

This is from Bloomberg. If you google it, it's out there but here is the Bloomberg link.

Texas' economic miracle beginning to tarnish - BusinessWeek
Either way.

The cuts have already gone into effect.

I'm not 100% sure, but usually government budgets start in September or October.

According to the article, this budget is now in effect.

This highlights a big problem, IMO. States and cities have almost no choice now but to cut services but cutting services means more people will die and more property will be lost. And we cannot depend on other states to help us as much as they have in the past.

Texas's fiscal year begins July 1, so they are now on the 2012 budget and the cuts are in effect.

So Perry relented, but his support for tapping the Rainy Day Fund now came with an ultimatum about the budget that begins Sept. 1.

This is from Bloomberg. If you google it, it's out there but here is the Bloomberg link.

You are correct. A certain article I read misstated that it was July 1. Either way, the 2012 budget is now in effect.

You are correct. A certain article I read misstated that it was July 1. Either way, the 2012 budget is now in effect.

And if you all go read the budget specifics I took the time to research, you'll see Perry did NOT slash firefighters budget by 75%. That is a lefty talking point and a complete fallacy.

The point isn't that cuts went into effect this day or that day, the point is that cutting services means you won't have them when you need them.

The point isn't that cuts went into effect this day or that day, the point is that cutting services means you won't have them when you need them.

read the budget details I posted above.

Look where Perry INCREASED salaries, benefits and supplies for the Forest Service, and DECREASED waste.

Then tell me about cutting services.

And if you all go read the budget specifics I took the time to research, you'll see Perry did NOT slash firefighters budget by 75%. That is a lefty talking point and a complete fallacy.

Except I don't think they were the right budget numbers. The OP was about the budget for volunteer FDs not the state FF budget.

Oh dear lord, you're quoting some freaking pencil pusher accountant at the Department of Finance and I'm quoting firefighters who say it makes a REAL difference with only 3 men.

I think both the California legislature (and by the way their budget cuts were requested by Governor Brown) and the Texas legislature are insane for cutting this deep in both States.

This is an essential service. I think both Legislatures are full of assholes for this move. As I said in another post this is bipartisan political retardation at it's finest.

I find both actions in both States to be absolutely appalling.

Of course the firefighters are going to say not to cut their jobs and I agree with them, but without FACTS to counter a study of 7 years of response times, they're barking up an empty tree.

Last edited:

Except I don't think they were the right budget numbers. The OP was about the budget for volunteer FDs not the state FF budget.

The budget issues were with the Forest Service. The ones tasked with fighting these fires. Look it up.

The claim is that Perry slashed money for fire fighters by 75%, which is total bullshit.

EDIT:
I normally don't cite huffPo, but...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/07/rick-perry-campaigns-slashes-budget-texas-burns_n_952738.html?ir=Green
The wildfires threatening Dunkerley and her neighbors are being met by an inadequately funded response team. Back in May, Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) signed a budget presented by the state legislature that cut funding for the state agency in charge of combating such blazes.

The Texas Forest Service's funding was sliced from $117.7 million to $83 million. More devastating cuts hit the assistance grants to volunteer fire departments around the state. Those grants were slashed 55 percent from $30 million per year in 2010 and 2011 to $13.5 million per year in 2012 and 2013. Those cuts are effective now.

A... the Forest Service budget was cut by 30%, and the data I provided showed that was almost entirely waste that was cut, with INCREASES in salaries, benefits and supplies... All for the agency tasked with putting out the forest fires, which is what everyone is whining about.

B... the volunteer fire departments had their budgets cut by 55%... and they have nothing to do with putting out the forest fires.

Last edited:

Agreed. And I'm royally pissed off at any State Legislation that seriously impairs the ability of firefighters to do their horrifically dangerous jobs.

I'm being non partisan here and being angry across the board at any government body that makes truly large and dangerous cuts to their firefighting forces.

What I am truly getting enraged at though is the talking point about Perry when it was the state lawmakers that passed this budget and the sheer hypocrisy of the left wing morons who won't condemn California for slashing their fire fighters budget as well.

This is truly left wing hypocrisy on full peacock strutting display. It's like the current echo chamber of the left on Obama and his Libyan war. Crickets. Freaking crickets.

I detest hypocrisy. If one wants to be pissed off at Texas then one must be pissed off at California as well if one has atl least a shred of decency.

The budget issues were with the Forest Service. The ones tasked with fighting these fires. Look it up.

The claim is that Perry slashed money for fire fighters by 75%, which is total bullshit.

EDIT:
I normally don't cite huffPo, but...

Rick Perry's Budget Leaves Texans In Bind Amidst Historic Wildfires
The wildfires threatening Dunkerley and her neighbors are being met by an inadequately funded response team. Back in May, Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) signed a budget presented by the state legislature that cut funding for the state agency in charge of combating such blazes.

The Texas Forest Service's funding was sliced from $117.7 million to $83 million. More devastating cuts hit the assistance grants to volunteer fire departments around the state. Those grants were slashed 55 percent from $30 million per year in 2010 and 2011 to $13.5 million per year in 2012 and 2013. Those cuts are effective now.

A... the Forest Service budget was cut by 30%, and the data I provided showed that was almost entirely waste that was cut, with INCREASES in salaries, benefits and supplies... All for the agency tasked with putting out the forest fires, which is what everyone is whining about.

B... the volunteer fire departments had their budgets cut by 55%... and they have nothing to do with putting out the forest fires.
:doubt:
Volunteer firefighters in Texas make up almost 80 percent of your state's firefighting force, and they are the first responders to 90 percent of the state's wildfires.

"Volunteer programs are our No. 1 defense," Forest Service Director Tom Boggus told Reuters, which also reported that since 2002, the Forest Service has given out $153 million in grants that have paid for 44,000 sets of protective clothing, 1,200 fire engines and funded the training of about 34,000 firefighters.

And it seems the financial situation for Texas firefighters is so dire that many of them are reportedly using their personal money to help pay for supplies and equipment.

Texas Wildfires 2011: Was Rick Perry Wrong to Cut Firefighters? Budget? - International Business Times

Agreed. And I'm royally pissed off at any State Legislation that seriously impairs the ability of firefighters to do their horrifically dangerous jobs.

I'm being non partisan here and being angry across the board at any government body that makes truly large and dangerous cuts to their firefighting forces.

What I am truly getting enraged at though is the talking point about Perry when it was the state lawmakers that passed this budget and the sheer hypocrisy of the left wing morons who won't condemn California for slashing their fire fighters budget as well.

This is truly left wing hypocrisy on full peacock strutting display. It's like the current echo chamber of the left on Obama and his Libyan war. Crickets. Freaking crickets.

I detest hypocrisy. If one wants to be pissed off at Texas then one must be pissed off at California as well if one has atl least a shred of decency.

I'm still trying to figure out why the libtards are all up in a bunch about the forest fires, and how Perry slashed volunteer fire fighter budget by 75%...

when it was only 55%, and the volunteer fire fighters DO NOT WORK ON FOREST FIRES!

The Forest Service handles those, and their money for salaries, benefits and supplies was INCREASED by Perry.

In other words... PERRY INCREASED THE AMOUNT OF MONEY GOING TO THE PEOPLE WHO FIGHT THE FOREST FIRES.

It's not rocket science, libtards.

And any libtard who is pissed that Perry has not 'put out the fires', is a fucking hypocrite unless they said the same thing about Obama and the BP gulf oil spill.

and the volunteer fire fighters DO NOT WORK ON FOREST FIRES!
Quote:
Volunteer firefighters in Texas make up almost 80 percent of your state's firefighting force, and they are the first responders to 90 percent of the state's wildfires.

"Volunteer programs are our No. 1 defense," Forest Service Director Tom Boggus told Reuters,
which also reported that since 2002, the Forest Service has given out $153 million in grants that have paid for 44,000 sets of protective clothing, 1,200 fire engines and funded the training of about 34,000 firefighters.

And it seems the financial situation for Texas firefighters is so dire that many of them are reportedly using their personal money to help pay for supplies and equipment.
Texas Wildfires 2011: Was Rick Perry Wrong to Cut Firefighters? Budget? - International Business Times

While the budget numbers I provided prove that the money for firefighters was NOT cut by 75%, but by 55%, it is now apparent that I was incorrect in one area...

...that would be the volunteers.

Ravi correctly pointed out that volunteers are indeed first responders, and a large part of the force that fights wild fires.

I apologize to the board in general for my error. This information was not in any of the multiple sources I found.

Kudos to Ravi for providing an actual link to information proving me incorrect on that point.

This is interesting. I found this at Red State. Someone has been crunching numbers appropriately it seems finally.

Pardon bad grammar. I'm on the fly.

[UPDATE: Via WILLisms, via @bdomenech, comes another reading error from the netroots.

Turns out that some of the n-dimensional geniuses over on that side of the blogosphere looked at last year's Forest Service budget and inexplicably failed to notice that it included a one-time new equipment allocation: which caused them to mistake this year's budget as a reduction.

What makes it particularly funny is that the allocation was due to stimulus funds... which meant that in their haste to go negative, the netroots completely messed up the opportunity to make a positive argument about their policy positions. And they wonder why nobody respects them...]

And it appears Obama's feds are really screwing up the deal in Texas in a variety of ways.

And the federal government is not letting critical federal firefighting resources be used… because of a contract dispute.

Nearly half of the federal government’s firefighting air tankers are siting idle at a California airport, grounded by the Obama administration in a contract dispute just weeks before wildfires swept through Texas killing a mother and her child, and destroying 100,000 acres.

[snip]

The U.S. Forest Service terminated the contract with Aero Union five weeks ago to operate seven P-3 Orions that are critical to the agency’s firefighting mission, leaving the federal government with 11 tankers under contract to help battle more than 50 large uncontained wildfires now burning nationwide.

While the budget numbers I provided prove that the money for firefighters was NOT cut by 75%, but by 55%, it is now apparent that I was incorrect in one area...

...that would be the volunteers.

Ravi correctly pointed out that volunteers are indeed first responders, and a large part of the force that fights wild fires.

I apologize to the board in general for my error. This information was not in any of the multiple sources I found.

Kudos to Ravi for providing an actual link to information proving me incorrect on that point.

I can't rep you on my damn phone, but I will as soon as I can. (Ravi too) ;)

And not sure if this has already been posted in the thread, but it bears repeating.

For example: the federal government is not letting volunteers help.

Firefighting-trained volunteers from around the state converged on Bastrop and Smithville Tuesday to lend a hand to the beleaguered local firefighters battling the Bastrop County Complex Fire — only to be sent away as federal officials arrived at the scene and took command, apparently because local officials never made a formal request for volunteers.

“We were at the station getting set up into strike teams, and this guy came up and said that the U.S. Forest Service had ‘assumed control of the situation, and that ‘If you don’t have a vehicle that squirts water, go home,’” said Gordon Greer of Kirbyville, who drove all night Monday to arrive in the town beset by the worst wildfire in Texas history.

Forum List

Back