Gov. Perry cut firefighters budget by 75%: Republican Leadership and Foresight?

fire doesnt recognise city , county , state or even country borders you complete fool.

NO it should not be a local concern. There is NO logical reason for you to say that. The only reason you say that is you are a blind partisan hack.

NOTE: those firefighters did not just watch it burn did they?

They spent their own money to travel to the fire and paid for their own equipment for the pleasure of risking their lives to save people and property.

They are HEROS

you are an idiot and a coward.

He ran away after I told him that

I have no intention of running away.

I'm still here hoping that you will address my posts that have Democrats in California slashing and burning their firefighters budget as well.

Because they have to cut everything fella.

Your little republican run of eight years fucked them real good.

we will be back.

And we will be storming the castle while the right spews hate on us again for being a major economic power.

Perry and team would like the cuts to be forever. That is the republican philosophy.

Kill any government they can.

Make the people powerless.

Let the corporations have EVERYTHING

Let's contrast this shall we?

Texas is proposing cutting the state's volunteer firefighting budget by more than 50%.

California is proposing cutting the number of people per truck from 4 to 3.

Are these two things really equal in your eyes?

It appears firefighters in California consider these cuts to be horrific. And to me, firefighters eyes are the only ones that matter.

I refuse to be a partisan hack on this issue.

The Brown administration looked at the 7-year-old policy of assigning four state firefighters to every engine versus having only three people. They found a similar success rate in corralling a fire before it burned more than 10 acres.

"There was virtually no difference in terms of response times. About 90 percent effectiveness in controlling those fires fairly swiftly," says H.D. Palmer from the California Department of Finance.​

Gov. Brown calls for firefighting cut backs

You also didn't answer the question...is cutting back from 4 to 3 per truck equal to over 50% cuts in a budget?

He ran away after I told him that

I have no intention of running away.

I'm still here hoping that you will address my posts that have Democrats in California slashing and burning their firefighters budget as well.

Because they have to cut everything fella.

Your little republican run of eight years fucked them real good.

we will be back.

And we will be storming the castle while the right spews hate on us again for being a major economic power.

Perry and team would like the cuts to be forever. That is the republican philosophy.

Kill any government they can.

Make the people powerless.

Let the corporations have EVERYTHING

With all due respect, are you nuts? Liberals own their bullshit in California.

With the exception of one freaking year Dems have owned the California Legislature since 1970.

The California State Legislature currently has a Democratic majority, with the Senate consisting of 25 Democrats and 15 Republicans and the Assembly consisting of 52 Democrats and 28 Republicans.

Except for the period from 1995 to 1996, the Assembly has been in Democratic hands since the 1970 election (even while the governor's office has gone back and forth between Republicans and Democrats). The Senate has been in Democratic hands continuously since 1970.

Give me a break.

:lol:

The Brown administration looked at the 7-year-old policy of assigning four state firefighters to every engine versus having only three people. They found a similar success rate in corralling a fire before it burned more than 10 acres.

"There was virtually no difference in terms of response times. About 90 percent effectiveness in controlling those fires fairly swiftly," says H.D. Palmer from the California Department of Finance.​

You also didn't answer the question...is cutting back from 4 to 3 per truck equal to over 50% cuts in a budget?

depends on the size and scope of those effected.

add some more straw we will get there.

Oh dear lord, you're quoting some freaking pencil pusher accountant at the Department of Finance and I'm quoting firefighters who say it makes a REAL difference with only 3 men.

I think both the California legislature (and by the way their budget cuts were requested by Governor Brown) and the Texas legislature are insane for cutting this deep in both States.

This is an essential service. I think both Legislatures are full of assholes for this move. As I said in another post this is bipartisan political retardation at it's finest.

I find both actions in both States to be absolutely appalling.

Now here's the firefighters interpretation of the budget cuts in California one more time.

Budget cuts mean fewer firefighter to fight California wildfires

By Peter Hecht
The Sacramento Bee
Published: Monday, Aug. 1, 2011 - 3:59 am

Just north of Highway 180 in Fresno County, a wildfire in mid-June ate through thick grass, burning into oak woodlands and roaring up steep hills.

For firefighters, it appeared to be a routine event. Six engine teams, including five from Cal Fire and one from Fresno County, attacked from two sides. Firefighters carrying heavy, 300-foot hose extensions ascended the rocky terrain. They doubled back for additional hose, stretching their water lines and attempted to circle the fire before it leaped a ridge.

But, under state budget cuts, Cal Fire was battling the blaze with three firefighters per engine instead of the normal four-man crews used in the wildfire season. They couldn't get water around the fire in time. It jumped the ridge and devoured the next canyon.

The incident on what one fire captain called "a standard wildfire" stoked fear over whether staffing cuts are affecting first-strike capabilities of firefighters to stave off severe wildland events.

"I really thought we could catch it," Cal Fire Capt. Doug Freeman said. "Basically, with the fatigue factor (of using a three-man crew), we just couldn't."

Freeman summoned reinforcements as the blaze that he thought could have been kept to less than 10 acres spread to 133 acres and cost $300,000 to put out.

As California closed a gaping budget deficit this year with sweeping cuts to numerous agencies, it saved $34 million by cutting 750 seasonal Cal Fire firefighters.

That means one less person per engine unit to haul thousands of feet of hose lines and share the exhausting physical rigors of battling wildfires.

In the Sacramento region, the cuts mean a total of 29 fewer Cal Fire firefighters in El Dorado and Amador counties and 44 fewer firefighters assigned to the Nevada, Yuba and Placer County region.

Cal Fire's Madera, Mariposa and Merced county region lost 37 seasonal firefighters, and Fresno, Kings and Tulare counties are operating with 50 fewer firefighters in the peak fire season.

To read the complete article, visit The Sacramento Bee - California News, Local News - Sacramento CA.

Volunteer fire departments, which cover much of the state, have also faced a 75% state budget cut this year under Perry and the Republican-controlled Legislature.

"Over the last several days, at the request of the Governor, the Administration has granted eight Fire Management Assistance Grants, making federal funds available to reimburse eligible costs associated with efforts to combat the fires," said a White House readout.

If he becomes president, how much will he cut Federal disaster relief? 75%?

If America catches fire, who will he go to then? The UN?

Budget cuts didn't come into effect until September 1st this year. Your talking points are becoming very tedious.

The Texas Legislature are the individuals who did this.

NOW

Big Democrat Governor Jerry Brown asked his DEMOCRAT Legislature to slash and burn their firefighters budget as well.

Do you only care about Texas firefighters? What's wrong with you? Why wouldn't you care about the California Firefighters budget who was cut?

You heartless soul only caring about Texas firefighters.

For everyone whining like little girls about how Perry slashed the budget for fighting fires, here's a little actual budget information for you, courtesy of TEXASTRANSPARENCY.ORG

Texas Transparency - Check Register Search Tools: Spending by Agency

2010 Fiscal Year Forest Service budget total: $71,140,886.43

vs.

2011 Fiscal Year Forest Service budget total: $ 55,164,504.25

A drop of 22.5%

Here are some details on the differences...

Salaries:
2010 - $13,964,273.07
2011 - $14,807,359.49
Net increase of $843,086.42

Benefits:
2010 - $4,258,415.90
2011 - $4,612,205.92
Net increase of $353,790.02

Supplies:
2010 - $1,077,445.90
2011 - $1,199,887.81
Net increase of $122,441.91

Other Expenses:
2010 - $23,757,705.14
2011 - 1,794,540.10
Net decrease of $21,963,165.04

The biggest change here was Emergency Abatement Response...
2010 - $22,779,872.96
2011 - $531,540.21
Net decrease of $22,248,332.75

So... in 2010, Texas had' $22,779,872.96 in emergency abatement expenses to the individual counties, and chose to not continue that in 2011.

Texas then went on to increase salaries, benefits, and spending more on supplies in 2011.

This is what you're whining about? unless you can show that this particular expense reduction had a negative effect, you're essentially full of shit.

I love these sources because I have no doubt in your mind these are valid sources as compared to" World Nut Daily " as left wingers like to refer to it.

And I bet in some smarmy moment you actually have the nerve to type "faux news".

Too funny. You made my day.

Last edited:
That wasn't very smart...You don't cut "funds" during a drought for fire fighters as you damn well know that the chances for what is currently occurring, goes up. Stupid move.

He did ask the citizens of Texas to pray that the drought ended.

I for one am really, really looking forward to the prayer a thon Governor Jerry Brown and the Dem Legislature are going to have.

They slashed and burned firefighters budgets as well.

(copy of post in other thread)...

For everyone whining like little girls about how Perry slashed the budget for fighting fires, here's a little actual budget information for you, courtesy of TEXASTRANSPARENCY.ORG

Texas Transparency - Check Register Search Tools: Spending by Agency

2010 Fiscal Year Forest Service budget total: $71,140,886.43

vs.

2011 Fiscal Year Forest Service budget total: $ 55,164,504.25

A drop of 22.5%

Here are some details on the differences...

Salaries:
2010 - $13,964,273.07
2011 - $14,807,359.49
Net increase of $843,086.42

Benefits:
2010 - $4,258,415.90
2011 - $4,612,205.92
Net increase of $353,790.02

Supplies:
2010 - $1,077,445.90
2011 - $1,199,887.81
Net increase of $122,441.91

Other Expenses:
2010 - $23,757,705.14
2011 - 1,794,540.10
Net decrease of $21,963,165.04

The biggest change here was Emergency Abatement Response...
2010 - $22,779,872.96
2011 - $531,540.21
Net decrease of $22,248,332.75

So... in 2010, Texas had' $22,779,872.96 in emergency abatement expenses to the individual counties, and chose to not continue that in 2011.

Texas then went on to increase salaries, benefits, and spending more on supplies in 2011.

This is what you're whining about? unless you can show that this particular expense reduction had a negative effect, you're essentially full of shit.

That wasn't very smart...You don't cut "funds" during a drought for fire fighters as you damn well know that the chances for what is currently occurring, goes up. Stupid move.

He did ask the citizens of Texas to pray that the drought ended.

Maybe we need to sacrifice some goats or something.

In California where they slashed their firefighting budget, I hear plans are full steam ahead to fuck the goats and sacrifice Mormons.

I think I'd rather be a goat in Texas.

According to one of the links, the cuts took effect last week.

everything I've seen says this is for the 2012-2013 budget...
Texas Plans To Cut Budget Of Agency Battling Wildfires
But Texas, which has a two-year budget cycle, has a shortfall of up to $27 billion for 2012-2013. Talmadge Heflin, director of the Center for Fiscal Policy at the conservative Texas Public Policy Foundation, said everybody should share in the cuts.

"We understand the difficulty they have had in dealing with almost unprecedented numbers of fires this year," said Heflin, a former state representative. "We also understand that in order to balance the budget, everybody needs to endure some reductions."
I'm not 100% sure, but usually government budgets start in September or October.

According to the article, this budget is now in effect.

This highlights a big problem, IMO. States and cities have almost no choice now but to cut services but cutting services means more people will die and more property will be lost. And we cannot depend on other states to help us as much as they have in the past.

Texas's fiscal year begins July 1, so they are now on the 2012 budget and the cuts are in effect.

everything I've seen says this is for the 2012-2013 budget...
Texas Plans To Cut Budget Of Agency Battling Wildfires
I'm not 100% sure, but usually government budgets start in September or October.

According to the article, this budget is now in effect.

This highlights a big problem, IMO. States and cities have almost no choice now but to cut services but cutting services means more people will die and more property will be lost. And we cannot depend on other states to help us as much as they have in the past.

Texas's fiscal year begins July 1, so they are now on the 2012 budget and the cuts are in effect.

With all due respect, you are in error.

September 1 is the beginning of the Texas fiscal year.

So Perry relented, but his support for tapping the Rainy Day Fund now came with an ultimatum about the budget that begins Sept. 1.

This is from Bloomberg. If you google it, it's out there but here is the Bloomberg link.

Texas' economic miracle beginning to tarnish - BusinessWeek

Forum List

Back