Got coins? 5/3rd bank wants them.

Muhammed

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2010
North Coast, USA
A source at 5/3rd bank has informed me that 5/3rd branches will pay a 5% premium for rolled coins. And other banks are likely to follow suit.

The coin shortage is due to a c-19 shutdown at the US mint. The Federal Reserve is rationing coin deliveries to banks.

If you are the type who tends to throw all of your loose change into mason jars or coffee cans or whatever, and have spare time to roll them, now might be a good time to cash them in for a quick 5% profit.

Last edited:
A source at 5/3rd bank has informed me that 5/3rd branches will pay a 5% premium for rolled coins. And other banks are likely to follow suit.

The coin shortage is due to a c-19 shutdown at the US mint. They are rationing coin deliveries.

If you are the type who tends to throw all of your loose change into mason jars or coffee cans or whatever, and have spare time to roll them, now might be a good time to cash them in for a quick 5% profit.

I have $3.4B worth of coins but nope ain't going to roll them up. Also never heard of 5/3's bank. If coinstar does a free instead of 12% weekend, I will fill their mutha effing machine to the brim though.

I keep my change in beer vats.

920x920.jpg

I've got a couple half gallon cans full of quarters, dimes and nickels. I throw pennies away.

If I hear from my bank that they're paying a premium for coins, I'll cash them in. I haven't heard anything about this though.

Just as supplies of toilet paper are finally getting back to normal, the coronavirus has triggered another shortage of something we typically take for granted: pocket change.

Banks around the U.S. are running low on nickels, dimes, quarters and even pennies. And the Federal Reserve, which supplies banks, has been forced to ration scarce supplies.

"It was just a surprise," said Gay Dempsey, who runs the Bank of Lincoln County in Tennessee, when she learned of the rationing order. "Nobody was expecting it."

Dempsey's bank typically dispenses 400 to 500 rolls of pennies each week. Under the rationing order, her allotment was cut down to just 100 rolls, with similar cutbacks in nickels, dimes and quarters.

That spells trouble for Dempsey's business customers, who need the coins to stock cash registers all around Lincoln County, Tenn.

"You think about all your grocery stores and convenience stores and a lot of people that still operate with cash," Dempsey said. "They have to have that just to make change."

Last edited:
I've got a couple half gallon cans full of quarters, dimes and nickels. I throw pennies away.

If I hear from my bank that they're paying a premium for coins, I'll cash them in. I haven't heard anything about this though.
You just heard it here first, at USMB.

The coin shortage is due to a c-19 shutdown at the US mint. The Federal Reserve is rationing coin deliveries to banks.

Anyone notice the slight that this bank has on a certain class of people? Why on Earth would you use the 5/3rd? If you reverse the fraction you have 3/5ths and guess what that means? See how many people know their History.....

The coin shortage is due to a c-19 shutdown at the US mint. They are rationing coin deliveries.

I have $3.4B worth of coins but nope ain't going to roll them up. Also never heard of 5/3's bank. If coinstar does a free instead of 12% weekend, I will fill their mutha effing machine to the brim though.
If you have large quantities of coins, I would recommend checking for silver coins before you willy-nilly throw them into a coinstar machine. They are easy to identify because they make a very distinctive sound when dropped on a hard surface such as a countertop.

You would be amazed at how many silver nickles, dimes and quarters are still in circulation. Every once in a while I'll notice one when I get change.

Last edited:

Anyone notice the slight that this bank has on a certain class of people? Why on Earth would you use the 5/3rd? If you reverse the fraction you have 3/5ths and guess what that means? See how many people know their History.....
I have no idea and think it's a retarded name.

If you have large quantities of coins, I would recommend checking for silver coins before you willy-nilly throw them into a coinstar machine. They are easy to identify because they make a very distinctive sound when dropped on a hard surface such as a countertop.

Maybe when I retire. Really not going to cash them in. They are a family heirloom of sorts. My late father started doing all the laundry when I was in my teens and people---mostly me--never took the change out of their pockets so he finally got sick of the piles of change and started putting them in potato chip cans and hiding them in the back of a closet. He told me about them so the day he died I swiped all the cans so nobody else could and have continued the tradition of filling up potato chip cans with coins from the washer and dryer at my house. I have somewhere around 22-23 cans and could probably fill up another one if I wanted to gather the change from the cars, bathrooms, etc.

Banks won't accept jars of coins especially pennies. I have a pickle jug full of pennies and I might dump them in the coin machine at Walmart rather than spend three days putting them in coin rolls.

Banks won't accept jars of coins especially pennies. I have a pickle jug full of pennies and I might dump them in the coin machine at Walmart rather than spend three days putting them in coin rolls.

If you have pennies from before 1982, you should know they're worth a lot more than you think.

New, unused or uncirculated copper cents weigh about 3.11 grams each or about 145 copper pennies per pound. New zinc cents are much lighter and weigh only 2.5 grams each yielding about 180 zinc pennies in a pound.

Copper Spot PriceSpot Change
Copper Price per Pound$2.73

The alloy remained 95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc until 1982, when the composition was changed to 97.5 percent zinc and 2.5 percent copper
In short, $1.45 in copper pennies are worth around $2.59 in metal value. But there is a caveat.

Because of the rising price of nickel and copper that began in 2005, the United States passed a law that made it illegal to melt pennies and nickels for their metal content. Additionally, it is illegal to carry more than five dollars worth of pennies and nickels outside of the United States when traveling

Forum List

Back