GOP working on legislation to strip Twitter of federal liability protections

Gaetz is virtue signaling. His little hissy fit has no chance at doing anything.

Second, if his bill did pass, the result would be the immediate removal of Trump from the platform.

The sole intention of this episode is to intimidate Twitter like the thugs they are.
you lose a lot of cred if you say twitter is being pushed around. they either allow open communication on their platform, trump included, or they choose to edit trump and then they are responsible for ALL content in the same manner as other publishers are.

having the best of both worlds isn't a solution that works for all. trying to portray people tired of being censured as "thugs" is self serving and not seeing the issue for what it is.

when you grow up enough, the rules you have to go by change. its how corporations grow up. i watched microsoft do it from inside the company and they one day got big enough to where what they did yesterday was illegal today; so to speak. so they had to alter and change and play by new rules.

to think social media isn't subject to these same rules, frankly, is bullshit.

You don’t know what you’re asking for. You will break the internet by getting what you’re asking for.

For starters, no one edited Trump.

Internet companies need protection from liability now more than ever given the massive volume of posts. Without this protection, Twitter wouldn’t exist in the first place.
maybe it shouldn't. it's basically an RSS feed on steroids anyway. and the TRUMP WILL GET HURT TOO - good. i don't give a flying flipshit about his tweets and think most of the time he does it for a reaction.

very stupid, very juvenile. however i don't go into a rage every time he does something stupid.

also - being an internet company isn't even close to the issue. twitter, facebook and these sites need to declare one of 2 things -
platform
publisher

pick your road and play by those rules.

to date "social media" has had the best of both worlds and never held accountable to crossing boundaries as their will. this sideshow bob of THE INTERNET MUST BE PROTECTED doesn't really have shit to do with what i said.

twitter can exist just fine as one or the other. but they can't keep being both.

Reagan gave us Hannity, Carlson, Rush Limbaugh, Laura Ingraham when he repealed the Fairness Doctrine.
If the left had opinions that people were interested in you would have to force your way onto the airways.

Air America illustrates this point perfectly.

What Facebook, Google and Twitter are doing has nothing to do with ensuring honesty. Their agenda is completely left.

Fuckem

Break them up

We do need changes - The executive order is making it quite clear that they are now a content provider.
The executive order can not rewrite legislation. Twitter is not liable for the content of their users. If they were, Trump would be kicked off immediately.

THEY can be held LIABLE because the just opened up the Pandoras box by editorializing. They are now a content provider not a content platform. They now will have to police the whole twitter universe. You know that isn't gonna happen.
Nope. The language of the law is extremely basic and clear. Trump cannot rewrite law by executive order.
nope. most he can do is get the FCC to investigate them and be a PITA. unfortunately both sides are being a PITA and pushing this as far as they can go.

the gov is going to win. twitter is going to have to play by the US rules in as much as any other country they choose to be in. you think China doesn't control shit on twitter?

we need to have our laws force social media to be one or the other designation but not both.

but there has to be an SOP of even handedness for it to be legal,
I've heard plenty of conservatives here say that they've been banned from this and that site for being conservatives. Why is it legal for those sites but not for Twitter? I don't understand.
1590700358780.png

Oh probably because to receive federal funding they had to sign a non discrimination agreement and a they can't take political sides agreement?

Which means that Trump can be a...

*****CHUCKLE*****

:cool:

...on their platform if he wants.

Let this site block all the blacks and latinos and see these hypocrites rage like a mf'er
The constitution doesnt give the fed gov or the states power to regulate private property. All this shit is a power trip.
And of course, the partisan hacks are inconsistent. As always.
The government has the power to prevent monopolies.

They should also deem Facebook and Twitter public squares because that's what they are. They have supplanted snail mail and other public forms of gathering/protesting/organizing.

The cancel culture that has arisen must be nipped in the bud.

I've heard plenty of conservatives here say that they've been banned from this and that site for being conservatives. Why is it legal for those sites but not for Twitter? I don't understand.
I'm not a conservative [I do have conservative leanings] and I've never been banned from anywhere but my post was in reference to "legalities" within the law, I know that may not be obvious from my post but the post was just off the cuff and not intended to be anything more than some clarity regarding that [it certainly was not meant to be the "end all be all" definition of trump or twitters behavior]... and censorship even of the "acceptable and legal" variety" is still censorship... fighting censorship in all its forms was once a great source of pride for Democrats, it is now just another weapon used against America by white liberals who pretend they are defenders of our constitution.

It is a little known concept for libtards called "freedom of speech"!

You mean "freedom of HATE speech" and lies?
Even hate speech is protected by the first amendment (at least by the government) What twitter did is the core of how the founding fathers saw the 1st amendment. It wasn't to stop bad ideas, but to guarantee people could put better ideas into the conversation.

People are dying because of HATE speech and lies from Trump and his NaziCon supporters!

Gaetz is virtue signaling. His little hissy fit has no chance at doing anything.

Second, if his bill did pass, the result would be the immediate removal of Trump from the platform.

The sole intention of this episode is to intimidate Twitter like the thugs they are.
you lose a lot of cred if you say twitter is being pushed around. they either allow open communication on their platform, trump included, or they choose to edit trump and then they are responsible for ALL content in the same manner as other publishers are.

having the best of both worlds isn't a solution that works for all. trying to portray people tired of being censured as "thugs" is self serving and not seeing the issue for what it is.

when you grow up enough, the rules you have to go by change. its how corporations grow up. i watched microsoft do it from inside the company and they one day got big enough to where what they did yesterday was illegal today; so to speak. so they had to alter and change and play by new rules.

You don’t know what you’re asking for. You will break the internet by getting what you’re asking for.

Internet companies need protection from liability now more than ever given the massive volume of posts. Without this protection, Twitter wouldn’t exist in the first place.
maybe it shouldn't. it's basically an RSS feed on steroids anyway. and the TRUMP WILL GET HURT TOO - good. i don't give a flying flipshit about his tweets and think most of the time he does it for a reaction.

very stupid, very juvenile. however i don't go into a rage every time he does something stupid.

also - being an internet company isn't even close to the issue. twitter, facebook and these sites need to declare one of 2 things -
platform
publisher

pick your road and play by those rules.

to date "social media" has had the best of both worlds and never held accountable to crossing boundaries as their will. this sideshow bob of THE INTERNET MUST BE PROTECTED doesn't really have shit to do with what i said.

twitter can exist just fine as one or the other. but they can't keep being both.
Trump will get hurt along with everyone else that uses Twitter. And you'll burn it all down, why? Because you're butt hurt that Twitter put a "fact check" link in his tweet?

Internet companies don’t have to pick between “publisher and platform”. It’s a false dichotomy. The law states they aren’t responsible for content from users and that’s how it should stay if you enjoy user submitted content at all including posting on this site. Section 230 was made because the internet was unique and needed different laws to manage it. Section 230 was written in 1996. It’s responsible for the internet as we know it.

We are in the midst of a pandemic. The U.S. has nearly a third of the world's confirmed cases. The U.S. has nearly a third of the world's deaths from the virus.

What is our President doing?

He is attacking Twitter.

Trump got hostile when Twitter attempted to correct Trump's outright lies in a tweet.

Trump on Thursday is set to sign an executive order that could open the door for federal regulators to punish Facebook, Google and Twitter for the way they police content online.

Trump prefers Twitter allow his lies to stand unchallenged.

The Post writes, "Trump has portrayed the expected order, the early details of which were first reported by The Washington Post late Wednesday, as an attempt to stamp out political bias on the part of the country’s largest social media platforms. His directive comes days after Twitter steered viewers of some of the president’s tweets to news articles that fact-checked his claims, a move Trump said was a form of censorship.

"But advocates for the tech sector, lawmakers in Congress and a variety of legal experts from across the political spectrum Thursday doubted the legality of Trump’s draft proposal and feared its implications for free speech. Others questioned whether the U.S. government even could carry out the order as the president intended."

Trump has been stupid enough to make the news media the enemy, calling it "fake news." That is beyond stupid because the media always has the last word, and it can pick and chose how it covers Trump, his statements and his deeds.

Now the fool is taking on the tech sector, which may have even more influence on how Americans think.

In the meantime, over 100,000 Americans have died from the coronavirus.

The thought-Police on the left don't believe of freedom of thought, much less freedom of speech.

We do need changes - The executive order is making it quite clear that they are now a content provider.
The executive order can not rewrite legislation. Twitter is not liable for the content of their users. If they were, Trump would be kicked off immediately.

THEY can be held LIABLE because the just opened up the Pandoras box by editorializing. They are now a content provider not a content platform. They now will have to police the whole twitter universe. You know that isn't gonna happen.
Nope. The language of the law is extremely basic and clear. Trump cannot rewrite law by executive order.
nope. most he can do is get the FCC to investigate them and be a PITA. unfortunately both sides are being a PITA and pushing this as far as they can go.

the gov is going to win. twitter is going to have to play by the US rules in as much as any other country they choose to be in. you think China doesn't control shit on twitter?

we need to have our laws force social media to be one or the other designation but not both.
So what then. Use government to harass private companies to help Trump?

Sounds like abuse of power.

So restricting Twitters' speech is freedom of speech?

Trump cultists used to at least pretend to not be Stalinists. The've stopped pretending. Now, they want to shut down any speech that doesn't praise DearLeader.
Twitter can be a forum or they can report and publish the news....you can't do both...especially in a biased way....

They aren't trying to do both.
Twitter has never presented itself as a news outlet.
It's called SOCIAL MEDIA, idiot.
The reason they are tacking notices to DiaperLoad Donnie's posts is because his account is held by the POTUS and can be MISCONSTRUED as news by their users.
If they are going to fact check posts they need to fact check evenly and fairly....even Fakebook agrees with me....

Zuckerberg is a motherfucker.
I wrote a post making fun of idiots like yourself, it was a colorful description of TrumpTards which did not include:
1. Anyone personally or by name
2. Racial references
3. Profanity
4. Violence
and I was banned for 3 days.

They are protected for christ's sake. That is what 230 is all about! They just jumped the shark and took a new route which wasn't allowed. So now - THEY opened themselves up to liable. Sorry you don't understand that.

There is no legal grounds to say that what they did “isn’t allowed”.

You still don't get it. Maybe go read 230.

And where did I say "Legal" or "legal grounds"? I never used the term. I said "LIABLE" Read FFS. I know you're smarter than that.

You’re making a legal argument. Don’t be silly. Section 230 does not have any stipulations for keeping their immunity from liability for user submitted content. You’re not interpreting the law correctly.

He CLEARLY explains the difference between being a platform open to all & a publisher which can control content.

Well done President Trump

Sure, I know what it is....WAHHHHHHH!!!!, they're being mean to me!! They won't let me post lies!! Honestly, what a whiny little bitch. Twitter didn't delete his tweets, didn't alter the words in his tweets (which would be censorship). They slapped a fact check tag on his tweets?..Why?...because they're unsubstantiated claims. So the media empire that basically built, enabled, and then let fester his 2016 campaign is now the enemy? Careful about biting the hand that made you! :)

“Found a way”? Twitter didn’t just happen naturally. It’s the product of years or hard work and a huge success story.
and yet you are confused that trump has "found a way" to deliver his message unfiltered.

Trump is just using the work of others to suit his own purposes and threatening them for not acquiescing to his demands.
Ya know, when you look at things through a media mirror they seem to be exactly the same as the image they reflect but in reality they are exactly the opposite...Trump is the one who is not acquiescing and it is white liberals demanding that he does and irate because he refuses.

What are “white liberals” (where did race play into this?) demanding Trump do?

People are dying because of HATE speech and lies from Trump and his NaziCon supporters!

Hate speech is like the coronavirus. You can't stop it, you can't eradicate it. The best you can do is vaccinate people against it, and it will eventually die off.

Trump is right. The social media companies are getting way too powerful, and partisan.
If the media companies "publish content" then they are legally responsible for it, no more "legal immunity".

Forum List

Back