GOP: Millions For The Wealthy But We Can't Afford To Award $250 Social Security COLA

They didn't get a COLA because there was no cost of living increase. Explain why Congress should bypass an already bad system and make it worse by handing out (other people's) money when the law doesnt mandate it.

It's in the article link. Besides, why did Bush continue to embrace Trickle Down when it was already proven to be a dismal failure?

At least with Trickle Up every dollar sent to Seniors will be put right back in the economy buying food and other items they need to merely survive.

Eighty cents a day is the margin for survival?

You may have a hard time believing this but $250 will go a loooong way with Seniors that are already barely making ends meet.

A 250dollar HANDOUT to our Seniors by this administration..is a FREAKEN INSULT.

why just $250? They have so much money to throw around, why not 5000dollars each?

what a JOKE

Last edited:
They didn't get a COLA because there was no cost of living increase. Explain why Congress should bypass an already bad system and make it worse by handing out (other people's) money when the law doesnt mandate it.

It's in the article link. Besides, why did Bush continue to embrace Trickle Down when it was already proven to be a dismal failure?

At least with Trickle Up every dollar sent to Seniors will be put right back in the economy buying food and other items they need to merely survive.

The article says just what I wrote: They don't get a raise because there was no change in COLA.
On your theory we should just award everyone in America $1M and watch the economy skyrocket.
Where do they teach this shit??

Well we all saw just how well Trickle Down worked. :thup: :lol:

We have to borrow the $$ from the Chinks to give to the seniors.
Our kids and grandkids will have to pay the interest on it, get no benefits while paying for those that get it now and live in a third world country as a result of the debt.
Eliminate the $250 now.

I want to know if eighty cents a day is the difference between surviving and not.

It depends on the individual situation. In some situations it probably could.

Why do you ask and where are you getting this 80 cents a day at?

BTW, GOP AND the Democrats ARE the working class.
Everyone that makes $$ works for it one way or another.

You mean instead of let it crash the country?

that isn't a necessary consequence. We need to have sound priorities in this country

"It is painful to see old age working itself to death, in what are called civilised countries, for daily bread." -- Thomas Paine; from The Rights of Man

Our kids and grandkids will have to pay the interest on it, get no benefits while paying for those that get it now and live in a third world country as a result of the debt.
Eliminate the $250 now.

Fine. Eliminate the tax cut to the rich as well since we'll have to borrow to cover it as well.

Eliminate the $250 now.

Fine. Eliminate the tax cut to the rich as well since we'll have to borrow to cover it as well.

It's alredy spent.

You mean instead of let it crash the country?

that isn't a necessary consequence. We need to have sound priorities in this country

"It is painful to see old age working itself to death, in what are called civilised countries, for daily bread." -- Thomas Paine; from The Rights of Man

You mean keep taxing until it rights itself?

Like the rest of government already is?

Eliminate the $250 now.

We DON'T have to Borrow shit to pay for any Tax cuts.

this DAMN Guberment can CUT their spending like the REST of do.
good grief.

Eliminate the $250 now.

Tax cuts for the rich are good for the economy.
How many poor folk have hired you?
Raise taxes and revenue always falls.
Government has too much $$ now. Spending, not taxes, is the problem.

I want to know if eighty cents a day is the difference between surviving and not.

It depends on the individual situation. In some situations it probably could.

Why do you ask and where are you getting this 80 cents a day at?

Actually it is 69.4 cents a day... $250/365 = .694.

So really it is not even 70 cents a day.

And no, I don't think that will help many seniors especially those who can't make ends meet.

Immie

I started working full time in 1972.
I started saving my $$$, cutting my spending in 1976, started driving my cars past 200,000 miles in 1980 and paid off my house in 1992. I quit borrowing and spending more than I made in 1993.
As a result of all of that I am very wealthy at age 56 in 2010.
The US government operates the exact opposite of that and rewards citizens that do the exact opposite.
Slash spending now and cut government jobs by 10% and programs by 5% now and the country will prosper in 3 years.
End unemployment benefits for those that have drawn 90 weeks now and end that program immediately. No self employed person gets that.
Eliminate all government unions immediately.
End all government pensions for new hires immediately.
Redo the entire social security and Medicare system. Raise ages immediately.
Just for starters.

As long as the GOP keeps this up the Dems will have no problems in 2012.

"House and Senate Republicans on Wednesday thwarted Democratic efforts to award $250 checks to Social Security recipients facing a second consecutive year without a cost-of-living increase."

GOP blocks legislation to award seniors $250 - Yahoo! News

What part of the election do you not get?

The voters are saying STOP THE RAMPANT SPENDING! Did you read how much it will cost the tax payers for this one time pay out?

Do you not get THAT WE, AS A COUNTRY, ARE BROKE!

We don't have the money. Now is not the time to ramp up paying out money we don't have.

You stupid libs seem to think there is some money tree in Washington and it never runs out.

Well it has run out libs! Time to stop free basing hopey changey and wake up!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I work for a non-profit agency and we hire poor folk all the time, but they are CNA's or skilled in what they do. What we do is provide in-home services to the elderly so that they can stay in their own homes and not be sent to nursing homes. The problem is when politicians cut government funding for these services b/c these people are the first ones whose funds are the ones usually cut and the elderly are the ones who need it the most. I've had clients who've waited so long that when I was sent the paperwork to start the service, the client had either died or was in a nursing home. That's how long that person waited. I am talking about people who were policemen, fireman, servicemen, teachers, social workers, laborers, housekeepers, etc. Should the govenment not help these ppl and we just put them on an island somewhere below Austrailia. That way we won't have to worry about them anymore and the taxpayers won't have to worry about paying for them to stay in their own homes. Are you willing to volunteer your great aunt or grandfather?

Last edited:
I work for a non-profit agency and we hire poor folk all the time, but they are CNA's or skilled in what they do. What we do is provide in-home services to the elderly so that they can stay in their own homes and not be sent to nursing homes. The problem is when politicians cut government funding for these services b/c these people are the first ones whose funds are the funds usually cut and they are the ones who need it the most. I've had clients who've waited so long that when I was sent the paperwork to start the service, the client had either died or was in a nursing home. That's how long that person waited. I am talking about people who were policemen, fireman, servicemen, teachers, social workers, laborers, housekeepers, etc. I'm getting older myself and am very scared at what future I have, knowing what I know.

but of course the right doesn't do death panels... just stingy indifference :p

Forum List

Back