GOP: Millions For The Wealthy But We Can't Afford To Award $250 Social Security COLA

I work for a non-profit agency and we hire poor folk all the time, but they are CNA's or skilled in what they do. What we do is provide in-home services to the elderly so that they can stay in their own homes and not be sent to nursing homes. The problem is when politicians cut government funding for these services b/c these people are the first ones whose funds are the ones usually cut and the elderly are the ones who need it the most. I've had clients who've waited so long that when I was sent the paperwork to start the service, the client had either died or was in a nursing home. That's how long that person waited. I am talking about people who were policemen, fireman, servicemen, teachers, social workers, laborers, housekeepers, etc. Should the govenment not help these ppl and we just put them on an island somewhere below Austrailia. That way we won't have to worry about them anymore and the taxpayers won't have to worry about paying for them to stay in their own homes. Are you willing to volunteer your great aunt or grandfather?
of course, those are the programs that get the cuts
because there is no waste anywhere else :eusa_whistle:

I work for a non-profit agency and we hire poor folk all the time, but they are CNA's or skilled in what they do. What we do is provide in-home services to the elderly so that they can stay in their own homes and not be sent to nursing homes. The problem is when politicians cut government funding for these services b/c these people are the first ones whose funds are the ones usually cut and the elderly are the ones who need it the most. I've had clients who've waited so long that when I was sent the paperwork to start the service, the client had either died or was in a nursing home. That's how long that person waited. I am talking about people who were policemen, fireman, servicemen, teachers, social workers, laborers, housekeepers, etc. Should the govenment not help these ppl and we just put them on an island somewhere below Austrailia. That way we won't have to worry about them anymore and the taxpayers won't have to worry about paying for them to stay in their own homes. Are you willing to volunteer your great aunt or grandfather?

We can fix all of those problems by cutting more taxes for the rich. :eusa_whistle:

I want to know if eighty cents a day is the difference between surviving and not.

It depends on the individual situation. In some situations it probably could.

Why do you ask and where are you getting this 80 cents a day at?

Actually it is 69.4 cents a day... $250/365 = .694.

So really it is not even 70 cents a day.

And no, I don't think that will help many seniors especially those who can't make ends meet.

Immie

And you know it wouldn't help them how? In the right hands even $.70 a day can be stretched pretty well in a grocery store, especially like Aldi's. That would be a pound of bacon per week (with money left over) or a bag of lettuce every other day, or a can of tuna per day, or any number of canned goods.

That's really pretty presumptuous that you can tell someone what would or would not be helpful in their lives. :eusa_hand:

So can I assume that you wouldn't be at all upset over a $250 speeding ticket since it's really only costing you 69.4 cents per day over the course of a year? :cuckoo:

As long as the GOP keeps this up the Dems will have no problems in 2012.

"House and Senate Republicans on Wednesday thwarted Democratic efforts to award $250 checks to Social Security recipients facing a second consecutive year without a cost-of-living increase."

GOP blocks legislation to award seniors $250 - Yahoo! News

What part of the election do you not get?

The voters are saying STOP THE RAMPANT SPENDING! Did you read how much it will cost the tax payers for this one time pay out?

Do you not get THAT WE, AS A COUNTRY, ARE BROKE!

We don't have the money. Now is not the time to ramp up paying out money we don't have.

You stupid libs seem to think there is some money tree in Washington and it never runs out.

Well it has run out libs! Time to stop free basing hopey changey and wake up!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

And all that would also apply to tax cuts for the wealthy that will add to the deficit that YOU AND I will eventually have to repay.

"House and Senate Republicans on Wednesday thwarted Democratic efforts to award $250 checks to Social Security recipients facing a second consecutive year without a cost-of-living increase."

The voters are saying STOP THE RAMPANT SPENDING! Did you read how much it will cost the tax payers for this one time pay out?

We don't have the money. Now is not the time to ramp up paying out money we don't have.

You stupid libs seem to think there is some money tree in Washington and it never runs out.

And all that would also apply to tax cuts for the wealthy that will add to the deficit that YOU AND I will eventually have to repay.
tax cuts dont add to the deficit if they actually SPENT less

my GAWD, what the fxxk can a person DO WITH 250dollars.

what a friggen JOKE.:lol:

What can you do with more than $250. dollars that you can't do with $250. dollars?? What a joke is right!! Lets try a senior medication from pharmacy that Bush didn't fund. OK??

Diltiazem (Generic Alternative) 60mg pills $249.90
Diltiazem is a drug that is used for treating heart pain (angina), high blood pressure, and abnormal heart rhythms.

Bush said, "There's no question that there is an unfunded liability inherent in Medicare that Congress and the administration is going to have to deal with over time" (Pear, New York Times, 2/10).

Last edited:

tax cuts dont add to the deficit if they actually SPENT less

How does less taxation create less deficit?

It depends on the individual situation. In some situations it probably could.

Why do you ask and where are you getting this 80 cents a day at?

And no, I don't think that will help many seniors especially those who can't make ends meet.

Immie

And you know it wouldn't help them how? In the right hands even $.70 a day can be stretched pretty well in a grocery store, especially like Aldi's. That would be a pound of bacon per week (with money left over) or a bag of lettuce every other day, or a can of tuna per day, or any number of canned goods.

That's really pretty presumptuous that you can tell someone what would or would not be helpful in their lives. :eusa_hand:

So can I assume that you wouldn't be at all upset over a $250 speeding ticket since it's really only costing you 69.4 cents per day over the course of a year? :cuckoo:

70 cents a day can be stretched pretty far? What planet do you live on?
The elderly are among the best off in terms of assets of any group in this country. WHile their incomes are technically low they have assets that far exceed that of most people as a group. The notion of grandma eating dog food to stay alive is one perpetuated by the AARP.

Immie

The elderly are among the best off in terms of assets of any group in this country. WHile their incomes are technically low they have assets that far exceed that of most people as a group. The notion of grandma eating dog food to stay alive is one perpetuated by the AARP.

I hope not! They can buy tuna cheaper than cat food.

Immie

Uhhh....I thought I just showed you how far 70 cents per day can go.

The elderly are among the best off in terms of assets of any group in this country.

I doubt you're referring to liquid assets.

WHile their incomes are technically low they have assets that far exceed that of most people as a group.

I would not presume to tell someone how to live on a fixed income. You can speak of them as a group but if they don't have the money to buy necessities what good are them assets doing them?

The notion of grandma eating dog food to stay alive is one perpetuated by the AARP.

And I suppose you can show me in a link where the AARP says that grandmas are eating dog food?

Thank you for your service as you are a true American and citizen.
Where are the families of these folks? What did we do 100 years ago?
We need to help the poor and are called to do so but how are we going to pay for it when the government is broke now and 40% of the entire budget NOW is borrowed?
You do know that eventually this program will end anyway unless deepcuts are made sonewhere? The Chinese are funding 40% of our government now.
How do our kids pay for what they will have AND 40% of government services that we have now PLUS allof the interest of what WE have borrowed?
Sad it is but we must cut your program now so we can save the country for the kids and grandkids. Families of these people have to step up.
Bad or no planning by these people is not my problem and I am tired of hem making it mine. I take care of my family and they need to take care of theirs. Government and more government is never the solution.

FYI "Millions for the wealthy" is a misnomer, you aren't giving the wealthy anything. you just allow them to keep what they've earned. On the other hand you've already stolen 960 Billion from the seniors from their medicare funds so don't blow smoke up our ass about a cola adjustment, he don't think much of our soldiers either.

See, you are mistaking something.

SS COLA is something the government would be GIVING to people.

Taxes are something that the government TAKES from people.

The gov't isn't GIVING the rich more money. The gov't (Obama) is simply not TAKING more

SS is a fund the government collects from everyone. If that pool of $$$ is short, it's short. Theres nothing we can do about it other than raise taxes, which no one wants to do.

But thats the ideological difference. The right sees people's money as belonging to the individual person. Whereas the left sees money as being government property that the government can forcefully take from the individual whenever it needs a bigger pot of $$$ to use.

Well, actually ss is not something the gov merely GIVES to people. Most people have worked a 30 or 40 years and have paid their MONEY into SS. Now the gov. is paying it back in increments. The people who die before they reach ss age just donated 30 or 40 years of hard labor to the rest of us orr to some illegal who stole his identity.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal

The gov't isn't GIVING the rich more money. The gov't (Obama) is simply not TAKING more

SS is a fund the government collects from everyone. If that pool of $$$ is short, it's short. Theres nothing we can do about it other than raise taxes, which no one wants to do.

But thats the ideological difference. The right sees people's money as belonging to the individual person. Whereas the left sees money as being government property that the government can forcefully take from the individual whenever it needs a bigger pot of $$$ to use.

Well, actually ss is not something the gov merely GIVES to people. Most people have worked a 30 or 40 years and have paid their MONEY into SS. Now the gov. is paying it back in increments. The people who die before they reach ss age just donated 30 or 40 years of hard labor to the rest of us orr to some illegal who stole his identity.

True, True... We do pay into it, but...

Fed says if I Die right now, my Wife and Chitlins get about $1200 ea a Month until the kids are 18...

That's a MINIMUM of $561,000 just based on when my Eldest Child turns 18 and no Increase in COLA...

This System can NOT Sustain itself, Period.

:)

peace...

my GAWD, what the fxxk can a person DO WITH 250dollars.

what a friggen JOKE.:lol:

Buy new set of tires.

Heat their homes for a few months.

But their grandkids Christmas presents.

Pay off their mounting unpaid utility bills.

No doubt $250 is a miniscule sum to you, Steph, but to people living on the margins of fiscal solvency, it can actually be a great windfall.

I want to know if eighty cents a day is the difference between surviving and not.

Yes it can.

They weren't going to get 80 cents a day, they'd have gotten a check for $250.

For those who are struggling to pay their bills and keep afloat, that pittence (to you, I guess) could make all the difference.

For the want of a nail, the battle was lost..know what I mean?

True, True... We do pay into it, but...

Fed says if I Die right now, my Wife and Chitlins get about $1200 ea a Month until the kids are 18...

That's a MINIMUM of $561,000 just based on when my Eldest Child turns 18 and no Increase in COLA...

This System can NOT Sustain itself, Period.

:)

peace...

Your kids will take 35+ years to reach the age of 18?

516,000/1200 = 430 months

430/12 = 35.8 1/3 years.

Forum List

Back