Goose on Current state of Baseball

Manonthestreet

Diamond Member
May 20, 2014
I agree the game has deteriorated. Perhaps part of it is expansion. Fundamentals of most teams are subpar....everyone wants to rely on the homer and big inning, Where are the great base stealers.....the catchers that nail ya time after time, Dont like all the big shifts....which simply underscores hitters ability to take it the other way.
Goose Gossage: ‘It’s like the Democrats are running baseball’
* “Guys used to steal signs all the time. Robin Yount and Paul Molitor were a couple of the best at stealing signs from second base, and (catcher Thurman) Munson comes out one day and says, ‘I think they’re stealing our signs.’ I said, ‘Oh, okay.’ Munson runs back, he didn’t even say anything, we knew what to do. He called a breaking ball and I threw a fastball under Robin Yount’s chin, and I think he saw his life flash before his eyes.’’

Baseball was the last pure sport, it defied the ages. It's now about getting home runs for the big contracts and slapping the behind of the opposing team when they come to first base.

In effect, it's like every other sport. It pays well and the players don't pretend that winning means as much as making mint and partying in the offseason.

Last edited:
The game is getting WAY overmanaged (by MLB). "Defensive indifference". Intentional walks without throwing anything. And now the "three batter minimum" and "two-way players". And coming soon, the automatic runner on 2B in extra innings. Kiss my ass MLB.

And you know where this all started. The idiotic DH.

The game is getting WAY overmanaged (by MLB). "Defensive indifference". Intentional walks without throwing anything. And now the "three batter minimum" and "two-way players". And coming soon, the automatic runner on 2B in extra innings. Kiss my ass MLB.

What is this automatic man on second crap...haven't heard of that

They're doing it in minor leagues and I think threatening to bring it upstairs. Complete travesty. When the game goes into extras the batting team gets to put a designated runner on 2B to start the inning. A runner who didn't swing, didn't hit, didn't run or draw a BB to get there.

I agree the game has deteriorated. Perhaps part of it is expansion. Fundamentals of most teams are subpar....everyone wants to rely on the homer and big inning, Where are the great base stealers.....the catchers that nail ya time after time, Dont like all the big shifts....which simply underscores hitters ability to take it the other way.
* “Guys used to steal signs all the time. Robin Yount and Paul Molitor were a couple of the best at stealing signs from second base, and (catcher Thurman) Munson comes out one day and says, ‘I think they’re stealing our signs.’ I said, ‘Oh, okay.’ Munson runs back, he didn’t even say anything, we knew what to do. He called a breaking ball and I threw a fastball under Robin Yount’s chin, and I think he saw his life flash before his eyes.’’
And the art of bunting is almost completely gone.

They're doing it in minor leagues and I think threatening to bring it upstairs. Complete travesty. When the game goes into extras the batting team gets to put a designated runner on 2B to start the inning. A runner who didn't swing, didn't hit, didn't run or draw a BB to get there.
And if he scores is that an earned run? Twins played several long xtra inning games last year.....very thrilling..couple ran on toward midnight....loved it

Fundamentals always give way to specialization; be it medicine, auto repair, or baseball. Now that the ballparks are set up to facilitate run scoring as are the rules to some extent, the need to take the extra base by stealing it is a lost art. There probably could be some players with 100+ stolen bases but managers are hesitant to give the green light because the ballparks are favorable to the long ball, extra base hits, etc... How a major league baseball player is not able to exploit the shift is probably the most alarming deficiency. I don't know how you do not, as a matter of pride in your craft, learn to hit the other way.

As for the political comment...stealing signs is something everyone does and has done. The new twist is the advent of the use of technology to get an advantage. The Asterisks (what we now call the Astros) had an Excel spreadsheet to determine what pitches were coming. The "republican way" would be to settle it on the field with violence and suspensions? Sounds about right. Blob supporters crave violence.

Just as an aside, if you're the team whose signs are getting stolen, it would probably be a good idea to assume that the thievery is taking place whether it is or not. Sort of like locking your door when you leave the house--nobody is going to break in but do you want to take the chance? Switch the signs up every 3 innings as a matter of policy; have the dugout call the pitches...etc... I lived in Houston for many years and love the Astros but they've been cheating for decades with corked bats, steroids, etc... This is just the new frontier. That being said, if you're getting fleeced, you're not doing all you should to protect your signs.

Fundamentals always give way to specialization; be it medicine, auto repair, or baseball. Now that the ballparks are set up to facilitate run scoring as are the rules to some extent, the need to take the extra base by stealing it is a lost art. There probably could be some players with 100+ stolen bases but managers are hesitant to give the green light because the ballparks are favorable to the long ball, extra base hits, etc... How a major league baseball player is not able to exploit the shift is probably the most alarming deficiency. I don't know how you do not, as a matter of pride in your craft, learn to hit the other way.

As for the political comment...stealing signs is something everyone does and has done. The new twist is the advent of the use of technology to get an advantage. The Asterisks (what we now call the Astros) had an Excel spreadsheet to determine what pitches were coming. The "republican way" would be to settle it on the field with violence and suspensions? Sounds about right. Blob supporters crave violence.

Just as an aside, if you're the team whose signs are getting stolen, it would probably be a good idea to assume that the thievery is taking place whether it is or not. Sort of like locking your door when you leave the house--nobody is going to break in but do you want to take the chance? Switch the signs up every 3 innings as a matter of policy; have the dugout call the pitches...etc... I lived in Houston for many years and love the Astros but they've been cheating for decades with corked bats, steroids, etc... This is just the new frontier. That being said, if you're getting fleeced, you're not doing all you should to protect your signs.
Sad to see some people inject political comment into everything.....

As you did in the OP.

As you did in the OP.
I made no political comment and avoiding posting his.

As you did in the OP.
I made no political comment and avoiding posting his.
It’s in your original post.

And if he scores is that an earned run? Twins played several long xtra inning games last year.....very thrilling..couple ran on toward midnight....loved it

Shouldn't be a run at all, let alone an earned one. Nape, I don't think you "earned" a run you were plunked on base not by a hit, walk, HBP, other team's error or wild pitch but by some wanker who put it in the rule book for fear they wouldn't make as much money at the gate. The Game has no time limit, keep it that way, goddam it.

Like it or not, most of the recent strategic innovations are based on hard science.

Hitting line drives up the middle (see Albert Pujols) is less successful than it was a generation ago. Getting under the ball results in a lot of popups, high flies, and strikeouts...but it also produces more runs overall, which is why it is done now.

Pitching at the knees is no longer a formula for success; batters focus on hitting low balls from the time they are in Little League. More success today comes from pitching up in the strike zone.

Players today are better than ever, even with the dilution caused by 30MLB teams. The pool of players is truly international, and "we" have the best players in the world in MLB. Better pitchers, better hitters, better athletes than ever before.

Teams have been stealing signals for as long as pitchers have been throwing curveballs. Teams have been devising counter-strategies for just as long. The "electronics" factor doesn't change all that much. Ironically, the best solution might be electronic as well. Give the pitcher and catcher an ear-pod with a unique frequency, and let a coach call the pitches from the Press Box, with no indication from either the pitcher or catcher.

The migration of the best players to big market teams sucks, but the solution to that is socialistic and unthinkable. Sorry.

Like it or not, most of the recent strategic innovations are based on hard science.

Hitting line drives up the middle (see Albert Pujols) is less successful than it was a generation ago. Getting under the ball results in a lot of popups, high flies, and strikeouts...but it also produces more runs overall, which is why it is done now.

Pitching at the knees is no longer a formula for success; batters focus on hitting low balls from the time they are in Little League. More success today comes from pitching up in the strike zone.

Players today are better than ever, even with the dilution caused by 30MLB teams. The pool of players is truly international, and "we" have the best players in the world in MLB. Better pitchers, better hitters, better athletes than ever before.

Teams have been stealing signals for as long as pitchers have been throwing curveballs. Teams have been devising counter-strategies for just as long. The "electronics" factor doesn't change all that much. Ironically, the best solution might be electronic as well. Give the pitcher and catcher an ear-pod with a unique frequency, and let a coach call the pitches from the Press Box, with no indication from either the pitcher or catcher.

The migration of the best players to big market teams sucks, but the solution to that is socialistic and unthinkable. Sorry.

You were doing so well until the last line, then you just tore out of here. Develop it.

Are you saying "Money Über Alles"?

Funny there seems to be an overload of 250 hitters. Fewer dominant pitchers means a lot if avg hitters look better

Baseball was the last pure sport, it defied the ages. It's now about getting home runs for the big contracts and slapping the behind of the opposing team when they come to first base.

In effect, it's like every other sport. It pays well and the players don't pretend that winning means as much as making mint and partying in the offseason.

could not have said it any better myself.:thankusmile::thup:

same with the NFL. baseball was indeed the last pure sport that did it RIGHT on going to the playoffs,the team that comes in first place in the division moves on and advances,all the others stay home and have to wait till next year..fuck the wildcard.

Forum List

Back