GOOD news -- I hope...

Well I just tried to quote someone in another thread that also included their quote of my first post......should have come up with only the 2 quotes in the string..............and there was NO string at all. Only the other persons post, but not my previous one. It didn't bring the second quote forward.

AWESOME :hyper:

ps.......I'm going to try it again, just to make sure.....hang on

Still somehow inexplicably on the "to-do" list.. I'll keep pushing.. WE submitted a list of them about 70 days ago..

This is quoting post #9 that includes you, Gracie, you, Rightwinger and you in the string. I hit the +Quote button and the little screen pops up that includes all those posts in a string.......but when I add it to this new post.......all the others disappear and only yours shows up...TADA!

Well I just tried to quote someone in another thread that also included their quote of my first post......should have come up with only the 2 quotes in the string..............and there was NO string at all. Only the other persons post, but not my previous one. It didn't bring the second quote forward.

AWESOME :hyper:

ps.......I'm going to try it again, just to make sure.....hang on

There's some experimenting going on in the Wizard world.. The entire "quote nesting" has been turned off for about the past 24 hours-- making USMB look like a retarded form of Twitter -- if you can imagine anything MORE retarded than Twitter. LOL...

Working on it.. Not getting much help from Xenforo who published this software without a great appreciation of how to FORMAT a message board..

But there's some progress being made and the Wizards are casting spells on the demon bug....

Those long nested quotes that are filling you screens MAY be fixed.. At least temporarily until there is a better solution.. The High Priests of the Board installed a line of code change that replacing the "plug-in" we used to use to control the maximum number of posts that get carried along in Reply...

I'm told that even with the code mod, and with the former plug-in, there are still possibilities of flaky quote backs and other side effects.. So I'm asking members and mod staff to WATCH and report these in THIS thread..

What you should see is that the max numbers of quotes carried along in quote backs shouldn't exceed 5 or 6 previous posts.

Even if you dont find any side effects, if you feel the major frustration is gone, come back here and weigh in...

This forum is the first one on Xenforo software that I've been on that quotes more threads than the one I'm replying to.

the High Priests of USMB
1595104947081.png

Those long nested quotes that are filling you screens MAY be fixed.. At least temporarily until there is a better solution.. The High Priests of the Board installed a line of code change that replacing the "plug-in" we used to use to control the maximum number of posts that get carried along in Reply...

I'm told that even with the code mod, and with the former plug-in, there are still possibilities of flaky quote backs and other side effects.. So I'm asking members and mod staff to WATCH and report these in THIS thread..

What you should see is that the max numbers of quotes carried along in quote backs shouldn't exceed 5 or 6 previous posts.

Even if you dont find any side effects, if you feel the major frustration is gone, come back here and weigh in...

This forum is the first one on Xenforo software that I've been on that quotes more threads than the one I'm replying to.

Without quote context and a short history of the convos, no one will EVER take the time to find what THEY SAID or what the people they are discussing with said just a few posts ago... We're here to promote discussing topics, not evoking key pounding emotions.. Essentially if you're not FOLLOWING a train of actual topic discussion, it's just a very retarded form of Twitter...

Especially if the effort to DISCUSS is very low, which is unfortunately a fact that we can't change.

A second reason is that moderation cannot FIND where threads go bad and be thorough and honest about keeping them clean if we have no convo history to link back thru... It becomes impossible to determine how many pages ago that thread derailment started or where other illegal posts might have provoked a response..

When posters are jumping between 5 or 8 threads, they barely remember what thread they are in, nevermind what they or others SAID an hour ago... Discussions degrade proportionately to the CONTEXT of the discussion you have in front of you.. Just becomes a yelling match without it...

So far I don't notice a lot of difference, a little better speed than the previous stuff, I guess, but I attribute that to blocking images and videos from slow ass off-site sources. The 'Bad Gateway' thing is till around, though less frequent and seems mainly to be around 3 a.m-5 a.m. ish, probably just a backup thing; many sites shut down for a hour or so to do that anyway.

The long thread problam is easily fixed manually by posters themselves; I get lazy too sometimes, but it's really not a major problem, and can be fixed by posters themselves. Maybe try and attract less lazy assed posters? I don't find it takes much time at all to delete everything from the name of the poster to the last part of the post. The invention of the mouse was a wonderful thing; I highly reccomend people buy one and spend some time learning how to use them. Even those mentally ill Linux cultists might get some benefit from them. Simply by holding down a button you can delete entire pages of stuff, truly amazing.

Last edited:

AyeCantSeeYou WillHaftawaite Meister Dont Taz Me Bro Kat Coyote
Why don't you guys just go back to the old format? :dunno:

The new format certainly hasn't earned any popularity awards here.

The old format is no longer supported, that is a primary reason why they upgraded to a new version.

The old format is no longer supported, that is a primary reason why they upgraded to a new version.
Upgraded? :abgg2q.jpg:

Whatever was supposedly done to stop unlimited nesting is not working

Forum List

Back