Good luck, CNN

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
I know better than to get my hopes up about stuff like this, but I'll wish CNN luck in this supposed new direction towards traditional journalism. I'm doubtful because either (a) they're going to miss the mark badly, (b) not enough people want traditional journalism any more, or (c) both. I've already seen several complaints and accusations from the Left about this, so given the nature of partisanship, maybe that's a good sign.

Anyway, fingers crossed. It would be an awfully nice thing to have a network that provides an accurate representation of all sides of a story for a change. It's not about being "fair" or "balanced". It's about being intellectually honest. And promoting or advocating or distorting or ignoring one side of a story is not intellectually honest. Neither is making assumptions or extrapolations based on predetermined partisan conclusions.

I know better than to get my hopes about stuff like this, but I'll wish CNN luck in this supposed new direction towards traditional journalism. I'm doubtful because either (a) they're going to miss the mark badly, (b) not enough people want traditional journalism any more, or (c) both. I've already seen several complaints and accusations from the Left about this, so given the nature of partisanship, maybe that's a good sign.

Anyway, fingers crossed. It would be an awfully nice thing to have a network that provides an accurate representation of all sides of a story for a change. It's not about being "fair" or "balanced". It's about being intellectually honest. And promoting or advocating or distorting or ignoring one side of a story is not intellectually honest. Neither is making assumptions or extrapolations based on predetermined partisan conclusions.

Were you being intellectually honest when you voted for a man who's been credibly accused of pedophilic incest by his own daughter?

I know better than to get my hopes up about stuff like this, but I'll wish CNN luck in this supposed new direction towards traditional journalism. I'm doubtful because either (a) they're going to miss the mark badly, (b) not enough people want traditional journalism any more, or (c) both. I've already seen several complaints and accusations from the Left about this, so given the nature of partisanship, maybe that's a good sign.

Considering that we're talking about CNN, this is one of the stupidest posts ever.

I've already seen several complaints and accusations from the Left about this
Nice way to admit that the Left are the greatest opponents of honest journalism!

It would be an awfully nice thing to have a network that provides an accurate representation of all sides of a story for a change.
And since the Left control 95-98% of the media, we know who to blame.

Anyway, fingers crossed. It would be an awfully nice thing to have a network that provides an accurate representation of all sides of a story for a change. It's not about being "fair" or "balanced". It's about being intellectually honest. Apepnd promoting or advocating or distorting or ignoring one side of a story is not intellectually honest. Neither is making assumptions or extrapolations based on predetermined partisan conclusions.

people overwhelmingly watch fox for a reason...nobody watches cnn for a reason too

Honestly... where on earth are they going to find actual journalist??
Journalism school is more a training camp for the hive mind, the bubble mentality.
You would be very hard pressed to find anyone in the field that has any interest in the truth.
Either side of the spectrum
And if they did - holy shit. They would be hated by everyone.
Americans don't want the truth. That is pretty well settled.
They say they do of course, but they also say they hate Walmart and Amazon.

Honestly... where on earth are they going to find actual journalist??
Journalism school is more a training camp for the hive mind, the bubble mentality.
You would be very hard pressed to find anyone in the field that has any interest in the truth.
Either side of the spectrum
And if they did - holy shit. They would be hated by everyone.
Americans don't want the truth. That is pretty well settled.
They say they do of course, but they also say they hate Walmart and Amazon.
The industry has changed since many years ago when I was in it.

The problem is not as much the journalists themselves -- it's the way the industry has fragmented into the regular broadcast news, cable news, and the zillion different sites on the internet that pretend to be news sites. Competition for people's attention is so insane now that they have to dance and scream and break things just to get and keep our attention.

The public doesn't WANT straightforward, down the middle journalism any more. We don't want meat and potatoes, we just want dessert. It wants advocacy journalism and biased analysis and fireworks, all of which needs to agree with their own worldview -- or else.

I wish I were wrong. Maybe I am. That's why I'm hopeful that CNN is serious and that this works.

I haven't had a chance to watch much, but this is interesting:

Obviously, moving from left of center to center (or at least trying to) does not mean you're right wing.

Again, it's not being "fair" or "balanced". It's about reporting an intellectually honest description of events. That means making the extra effort to insure that you're providing an accurate representation of both sides of a story, instead of advocating one over the other. That's it.

Doing so will almost certainly ruffle feathers on both political ends. That's one sign you're doing your job.

Forum List

Back