God I hope the GOP Supreme Court overturns Roe

...Still have no idea what you are asking. ....
If someone decides to use her body to drive through a parade killing innocent people, that's her business and everyone else should just shut up about it?

Is the notion that your neighbor might be chopped to pieces with an ax as insignificant to you? Not your problem?

Be careful what you wish for. Pro-choice is the majority position in the US. If it is eliminated the backlash might put the Dems is power and allow them to fundamentally change the laws governing, not only abortion, but many other Dem favorites.

What it will do is have an effect at the state level. It will force a lot of Republicans in state legislatures to take a side, and at the state level would be more detrimental to Republicans, than Democrats, as the electorate already assumes the Democrats are decidedly pro choice.

The majority of America supports the pro choice position, and that is because a plurality of Republicans are pro choice. End Roe, and even more Republicans will support pro choice, if for nothing else, but to retain their seats. They cannot get elected without independents, that the majority of are also pro choice.

Anti choice states would become the center of attention in the news cycle, every time a woman dies, from either a still birth pregnancy, or a botched illegal abortion, and those news stories would only turn off more independent voters, and the Republicans in those states would only start to sound more hollow as time passed, and another woman's death is reported.

What it will do is have an effect at the state level. It will force a lot of Republicans in state legislatures to take a side, and at the state level would be more detrimental to Republicans, than Democrats, as the electorate already assumes the Democrats are decidedly pro choice.

The majority of America supports the pro choice position, and that is because a plurality of Republicans are pro choice. End Roe, and even more Republicans will support pro choice, if for nothing else, but to retain their seats. They cannot get elected without independents, that the majority of are also pro choice.

Anti choice states would become the center of attention in the news cycle, every time a woman dies, from either a still birth pregnancy, or a botched illegal abortion, and those news stories would only turn off more independent voters, and the Republicans in those states would only start to sound more hollow as time passed, and another woman's death is reported.
Good points but the way this country is gerrymandered, there are few swing districts where a candidate needs to attract the middle.

Good points but the way this country is gerrymandered, there are few swing districts where a candidate needs to attract the middle.
True. And the data shows they are skewed to Republicans. Democrats have t get more votes to win elections. We have states where 40-50% vote democrat in every election, but 2/3 or more of the statehouse and/or Congressional reps are Republicans.

Unkotare maybe this will help you understand why you are in a tailspin:

You think abortion is murder. I do not. I do not think the feelings of a man who fathered an aborted baby deserve as much deference as the widow of the ax-murdered neighbor, for example. Yes, he may be just as sad. But that's his problem, not society's problem, nor do his feelings trump her right to choose for herself.

Apparently, you do think abortion is murder, and his feelings deserve the same consideration.

So this is where you need to grow up and understand that your attempts to make me a hypocrite based on your opinions are stupid and childish. Since I do not share your beliefs, it does not make me a hypocrite.

So here is the net sum of 4 pages of insufferable whining from you:

"Abortion is murder!"

Three words. Instead of 4 pages of...whatever the hell that embarrassing display was.

True. And the data shows they are skewed to Republicans. Democrats have t get more votes to win elections. We have states where 40-50% vote democrat in every election, but 2/3 or more of the statehouse and/or Congressional reps are Republicans.
True. I think the GOP went for the low-hanging fruit but missed the long-term implications of gerrymandering.

I figured that if the gerrymandering had a major impact I'd find a bunch of states where the governor, elected at large, would be of a different party than the legislature. I did a search and it didn't seem to be born out by the data (I'm not qualified but what the hell). My conclusion is that the gerrymandering pushes candidates to the extremes since there are no swing voters they need to attract.

I think I see this in the election of candidates like Marjorie Taylor Greene. The long-term implications seem to point to the GOP becoming an embarrassment to the majority of voters and eventually even the gerrymandering won't keep them in power. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part?

True. I think the GOP went for the low-hanging fruit but missed the long-term implications of gerrymandering.

I figured that if the gerrymandering had a major impact I'd find a bunch of states where the governor, elected at large, would be of a different party than the legislature. I did a search and it didn't seem to be born out by the data (I'm not qualified but what the hell). My conclusion is that the gerrymandering pushes candidates to the extremes since there are no swing voters they need to attract.

I think I see this in the election of candidates like Marjorie Taylor Greene. The long-term implications seem to point to the GOP becoming an embarrassment to the majority of voters and eventually even the gerrymandering won't keep them in power. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part?

States where the dems control redistricting like New York and Illinois they will gerrymander in their favor. So what is your point?

Yup. When the district is not competitive, it can become a "race to the bottom" in the primaries. Especially for republican voters, who are aroused by whoever is the most cruel.
Do the mainstream GOP voters not cringe when they hear her? Unfortunately, not yet. They still seem to overwhelmingly support Trump and anyone who supports him. I fear things will have to get worse before they get better. Maybe the 'RINO's will form their own party and get my support. No sign of a backbone yet.

People who pay taxes to bomb women and children sound pretty ridiculous talking about abortion.

States where the dems control redistricting like New York and Illinois they will gerrymander in their favor. So what is your point?
Dems are no better than the GOP but I like to think voters are smarter than than that. Here in VA there was a recent ballot initiative to have an independent commission do our next redistricting. The Dems controlled VA and didn't support it but it passed and is the law of the land. It got my vote and now it is up to other states to follow suit.

Yup. When the district is not competitive, it can become a "race to the bottom" in the primaries. Especially for republican voters, who are aroused by whoever is the most cruel.
Now that is funny, democrat voters in heavily democratic districts can be just as ideological.

Not as monolithically as Republicans. And they don't have the same appetite for cruelty and proud ignorance. That's the state of affairs today.
If you chose to believe that fairy tale knock yourself out.
Not as monolithically as Republicans. And they don't have the same appetite for cruelty and proud ignorance. That's the state of affairs today.

Forum List

Back