Girl suspended for saying ‘bless you’ at school

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
A young girl in Tennessee says she was suspended after breaking a class rule of saying “bless you” after a classmate sneezed.

When Dyer County High School senior Kendra Turner said bless you, she says her teacher told her that was for church.

Turner feels her teacher was taking issue for her religion. When she stood up for herself, Turner says she was told to go to the administrator’s office. She was later placed in in-school suspension for the rest of that class period.

Her pastor Rev. Becky Winegardner says they had just talked about how to stand up for their faith last week.

“There were several students that were talking about this particular faculty member there that was very demeaning to them in regards to their faith,” Winegardner said.

Students sent WMC a photo of the teacher’s white board that lists “bless you” and other expressions that are banned as part of class rules.

Girl suspended for saying ‘bless you’ at school | WGN-TV

"Turner feels her teacher was taking issue for her religion."

Ya think? The stupid crap public schools do today are why if I ever have kids they're gona be home-schooled. This kinda thing doesn't even surprise me any more. It just pisses me off further.

I remember teachers saying it back in the day.
So, when did Tennessee turn into a Nazi police state?

Verboten! Jews and Christians must keep their views, opinions, and sayings to themselves----as they are UNAMERICAN and a danger to the S T A T E!!!!!!
NOW, for todays Social Studies lesson-----------class! Why gay marriage is for the better good of all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, when did Tennessee turn into a Nazi police state?

Verboten! Jews and Christians must keep their views, opinions, and sayings to themselves----as they are UNAMERICAN and a danger to the S T A T E!!!!!!
NOW, for todays Social Studies lesson-----------class! Why gay marriage is for the better good of all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's been a long slow burn over the past 30 years, and it's everywhere.

I grew up in the south were the word "Bless" was standard fare and a term of endearment.

People would say, "Well bless your heart" or "You are such a blessing".

But it looks like the secular liberal PC crowd wants to put the word "bless" on the forbidden list.

These nitwit people are beyond looney tunes. ... :cuckoo:

Had the little girl said F*** Y** everything would had been okay.

Shows how ludicrous and mentally deranged this progressive-liberal culture has become!

A young girl in Tennessee says she was suspended after breaking a class rule of saying “bless you” after a classmate sneezed.

When Dyer County High School senior Kendra Turner said bless you, she says her teacher told her that was for church.

Turner feels her teacher was taking issue for her religion. When she stood up for herself, Turner says she was told to go to the administrator’s office. She was later placed in in-school suspension for the rest of that class period.

Her pastor Rev. Becky Winegardner says they had just talked about how to stand up for their faith last week.

“There were several students that were talking about this particular faculty member there that was very demeaning to them in regards to their faith,” Winegardner said.

Students sent WMC a photo of the teacher’s white board that lists “bless you” and other expressions that are banned as part of class rules.

Girl suspended for saying ‘bless you’ at school | WGN-TV

Oh bullshit. Summa y'all are just so damn gullible to hack fake-news stories. Does no one vet these bullshit articles any more?

Your own link notes, "Turner's family met with school leaders Tuesday. They say the teacher claimed Turner was being disruptive and aggressive". This one goes further:

>> Obviously, there’s no recording of what happened, so this is inevitably the student’s word against the teacher’s, and the student got her side out before anyone else could respond.

So I called up Principal Peggy Dodds just a little while ago and got her side of the story before shit hits the fan in the conservative world.

According to Dodds, Turner was not given an in-school suspension. She wasn’t sent out of the classroom, either — she chose to walk out. And, most importantly, she wasn’t punished by the teacher for saying “God bless you” — however, the teacher did admonish her for “disrupting the classroom.”

Since I can’t verify the specifics of what was said (including the remarks about “Godly speaking”), let me offer this hypothetical:

The class was supposed to be quiet. Someone sneezed. Turner said *something* in response (it doesn’t matter what) and the teacher asked her to be quiet. Turner took that as a knock on her faith and felt the need to defend against it. The teacher only saw this as a further disruption and the situation escalated. The student, clearly frustrated, ran out of the classroom and, not long after that, posted something on Facebook. <<
PC-gone-wild is one thing but this appears to be the other side of the coin: martyr complex.

C'mon people. Use your heads. Quit stepping up to the counter every time some snake oil salesman opens for business.

Last edited:
the teacher was obviously worried it might be contagious......can't have some poor atheist child at risk of going home blessed....

Little snarky so no points for you. It's a serious subject worthy of respectful discussion.

Actually it's most likely another instance of undereducated teachers enforcing separation of church and state. You CAN have religious expression in public schools SO LONG as it's neutrally presented. I think when this sort of thing happens then it's a teacher who thinks, incorrectly, no religious expression is permitted.

If all the kid said was "bless you" that's about as neutral as it gets. Not even a "God bless you" in it.

Remember it being "Bleshoo" which I guess was an attempt at expressing the sentiment, but without the religious tie-in. Stands out in my recollection because I remember when I learned it was actually "bless you." :)

Thank God she didn't scream Allah Akbar!

midnightpoint-thumb-521x294-102100.png

No kidding.

Teacher's eye widen, "Ok students, fire drill!" :)

Forum List

Back