Girl suspended for saying ‘bless you’ at school

Once again, we don't know the teacher did any such thing. We have a girl's Nosebook post, and that's all we have. Are you in the habit of hearing one side of a story and then deciding, "guilty, off with their heads"? I'm not.

Already on Snopes

I read rather a lot. So yes, I"m an 'off with their head' hangin' judge type. Be nice if I could count on living for centuries, but as it is, with my reading list, I don't have time to read every little thing. The particular article isn't the important part. Could eliminate it altogether and still have pleanty of incidents to cite.

That's my previous point -- how many of those "previous incidents" are similarly Snopesable bullshittery? Do they in fact even exist? Already I've got several "disagrees" in the thread and not a single "agree" even though everything I pointed out was dead accurate (not that that matters, truth will out no matter what) and already several posts, including from you, completely ignored that reality and went on with the bullshit OP as if it were a real story. And you can bet there will be more to come. The Big Lie syndrome.

Bottom line seems to be that people want to believe what they want to believe and facts aren't going to sway them. Bottom line, there are those among us right now who believe the OP to be factual for no other reason that a message board OP pretended it is. And that kind of gullibility, that kind of blind acceptance of a perception floated out for propaganda purposes, is more than a bit scary. Propaganda sells better than fact. That's the whole reason this crap ended up on TV stations and websites in the first place.

That's my previous point -- how many of those "previous incidents" are similarly Snopesable bullshittery? Do they in fact even exist? Already I've got several "disagrees" in the thread and not a single "agree" even though everything I pointed out was dead accurate (not that that matters, truth will out no matter what) and already several posts, including from you, completely ignored that reality and went on with the bullshit OP as if it were a real story. And you can bet there will be more to come. The Big Lie syndrome.

Bottom line seems to be that people want to believe what they want to believe and facts aren't going to sway them. Bottom line, there are those among us right now who believe the OP to be factual for no other reason that a message board OP pretended it is. And that kind of gullibility, that kind of blind acceptance of a perception floated out for propaganda purposes, is more than a bit scary. Propaganda sells better than fact. That's the whole reason this crap ended up on TV stations and websites in the first place.

The previous incidents I'm thinking of are landmark rulings at trials including the Supreme Court. So probably not in the same vein as some biased website no. :)

The previous incidents I'm thinking of are landmark rulings at trials including the Supreme Court. So probably not in the same vein as some biased website no. :)

Whatever those may be, they're not related here. You appear to want to engage in a Special Pleading.

It's easy for even the casual observer to see there is a secular PC war being waged against Christians by the government, courts, and especially the media. ... :cool:

Well apparently not, since the media you linked here (and there's plenty more in the Googles) went out of its way to fabricate such a war, so they're in effect doing the opposite of what you just posited; trying to sell, rather than "wage", the concept of just such a war that, in this case at the very least, doesn't exist.

Even though I consider saying "Bless you" after someone sneezes to be silliness, I find making a big deal out of it to the point of suspending a child from school to be the definition of asinine.

There is zero evidence she was "suspended". For that matter there is zero evidence the incident had anything to do with saying "bless you". This is a bullshit "story".
to be fair, there is evidence....you've just chosen not to believe it....

Even though I consider saying "Bless you" after someone sneezes to be silliness, I find making a big deal out of it to the point of suspending a child from school to be the definition of asinine.

There is zero evidence she was "suspended". For that matter there is zero evidence the incident had anything to do with saying "bless you". This is a bullshit "story".

So................... Where is it? :link:

the first hand testimony of the girl......that would be considered evidence in any court.....

the first hand testimony of the girl......that would be considered evidence in any court.....

Uh --- it's a Nosebook post. Which is contradicted by the principal.
What court do you know that takes a hearsay statement as "evidence", let alone decides anything on that basis?

:cuckoo:

When I say "zero evidence", I mean exactly that.

Uh --- it's a Nosebook post. Which is contradicted by the principal.
What court do you know that takes a hearsay statement as "evidence", let alone decides anything on that basis?

:cuckoo:

When I say "zero evidence", I mean exactly that.
sorry, hearsay evidence is the statement of a third party who got the information from someone else.....I'm talking about the statement of the girl involved......every court accepts that.....as I say, the evidence has been given, you just don't believe it....

But based on other evidence...what the school has said...her statements do not seem reliable. And based on many cases of claimed religious intolerance by teachers, this one seems more likely to fall into the category of untrue.

I believe the most likely scenario is that the girl shouted or yelled or otherwise made some obnoxious point in her "Bless you" and it was the attitude and disrespect that got her sent to the office.

The in school suspension was normal procedure for being sent to the principal and not a direct consequence of her words.

Not without cross examination....or a second witness...

:lol: And people wonder why Teachers need Tenure......

the teacher was obviously worried it might be contagious......can't have some poor atheist child at risk of going home blessed....

Little snarky so no points for you. It's a serious subject worthy of respectful discussion.

Actually it's most likely another instance of undereducated teachers enforcing separation of church and state. You CAN have religious expression in public schools SO LONG as it's neutrally presented. I think when this sort of thing happens then it's a teacher who thinks, incorrectly, no religious expression is permitted.

If all the kid said was "bless you" that's about as neutral as it gets. Not even a "God bless you" in it.
Back in 4th grade I said "JESUS!!!!!", and was accused of swearing by another student. I was sent to the principal's office.

I received an oral reprimand.

The first article showed a list of 10 things or so, that the teacher asked the students not to say or do on a board...10 things that were disruptive....

1 of those 10 things was "Bless you"....all the other things were NOT involved with God, nor was this thing...saying just Bless you, NOT GOD BLESS YOU, but "bless you"...this teacher OBVIOUSLY KNOWS her students better than anyone here on this board....and students in her class OBVIOUSLY were using bless you as a way to disrupt classes...kids were probably faking sneezes and others yelling bless you....THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION OR PERSECUTION OF EXPRESSION....the girl was being disruptive and was not following the rules of the class which she OBVIOUSLY knew, because she posted a picture of the rules that were on the black board (white board)

The story in the first article said she SHOUTED bless you across the room, even though she KNEW that this was against the rules of her class room and it was disruptive....sounds to me like this girl could use a good spanking over the knee or be taught to respect her elders and teachers....and rules.

that's my take on this from the first article

But based on other evidence...what the school has said...her statements do not seem reliable. And based on many cases of claimed religious intolerance by teachers, this one seems more likely to fall into the category of untrue.

I believe the most likely scenario is that the girl shouted or yelled or otherwise made some obnoxious point in her "Bless you" and it was the attitude and disrespect that got her sent to the office.

The in school suspension was normal procedure for being sent to the principal and not a direct consequence of her words.
you too have made a choice regarding which evidence you believe....

Not without cross examination....or a second witness...
of course she can be cross examined.......a second witness is not a requirement.....I am in court every day.....a plaintiff testifies, a defendant testifies.....the testimony is contradictory, a judge must decide which to believe.....

Back in 4th grade I said "JESUS!!!!!", and was accused of swearing by another student. I was sent to the principal's office.

I received an oral reprimand.

Only thing I recall from grade school re: religion was when some toy could be manipulated into various shapes and I made a cross then inverted it at some 'Jesus-freak' type girl and she freaked out crying. :) Recall cheating on an arithmetic test. Basic multiplication tables stuff, but there was a chart on the blackboard with all the answers I thought I slyly was glancing at. After class the teacher held me back and said "Now take off however many answers you got off the chart." I gave myself a zero. :) Ironically, I became quite masterful at arithmetic. Can't do advanced algebra to save my life, but multiplication's a breeze even with large numbers.

Forum List

Back