Girl suspended for saying ‘bless you’ at school

A young girl in Tennessee says she was suspended after breaking a class rule of saying “bless you” after a classmate sneezed.

When Dyer County High School senior Kendra Turner said bless you, she says her teacher told her that was for church.

Turner feels her teacher was taking issue for her religion. When she stood up for herself, Turner says she was told to go to the administrator’s office. She was later placed in in-school suspension for the rest of that class period.

Her pastor Rev. Becky Winegardner says they had just talked about how to stand up for their faith last week.

“There were several students that were talking about this particular faculty member there that was very demeaning to them in regards to their faith,” Winegardner said.

Students sent WMC a photo of the teacher’s white board that lists “bless you” and other expressions that are banned as part of class rules.

Girl suspended for saying ‘bless you’ at school | WGN-TV

If the student didn't use the word "god", its not religious. OTOH, using that phrase is against the rules, the student broke the rules.

If you don't want to get thrown out of school, don't break the rules.

(What a lot of to-do over nothing.)

A young girl in Tennessee says she was suspended after breaking a class rule of saying “bless you” after a classmate sneezed.

When Dyer County High School senior Kendra Turner said bless you, she says her teacher told her that was for church.

Turner feels her teacher was taking issue for her religion. When she stood up for herself, Turner says she was told to go to the administrator’s office. She was later placed in in-school suspension for the rest of that class period.

Her pastor Rev. Becky Winegardner says they had just talked about how to stand up for their faith last week.

“There were several students that were talking about this particular faculty member there that was very demeaning to them in regards to their faith,” Winegardner said.

Students sent WMC a photo of the teacher’s white board that lists “bless you” and other expressions that are banned as part of class rules.

If the student didn't use the word "god", its not religious. OTOH, using that phrase is against the rules, the student broke the rules.

You are the epitome of a true Obamabot. .. :cuckoo:

You are the epitome of a true Obamabot. .. :cuckoo:

Where exactly does "O'bama" enter this story?
I do believe that's the first time his name has been brought up in this thread --- after just over 200 posts. Which has gotta be a new USMB record. :eusa_dance:

FYI- She wasn't thrown out of school, as a ''suspension'' implies to us older folks....she was kept in the principles office area for the remainder of this one class.

I'm not certain it is truly called a ''suspension''.... I did an internet search on the term, and it explained the difference between an ''in school suspension'' vs ''out of school suspension'' and why ''in house suspensions'' were better because it didn't give the child a day off to just screw around at home for the day....they thought bad kids would be TRYING to get suspended basically....lol....anyway a suspension is a MINIMUM of 1 day according to what I read... so it is more likely she was just ''held in detention'' for the remainder of the period....

Obviously, your not from the south........ :cool:

What's more, I'm not even Christian. :D But what does it change? Language is language, faith is faith. It's not smart to go crazy about some historical expressions that are now far from the original idea.

Oh, common, this "bless you" thing is driving everyone absolutely crazy - why? To say "bless you" after someone sneezes is unconventional social tradition, you need to be Sheldon Cooper not to understand that.
Actually the tradition is to say "God Bless you". Because when someone sneezes their heart momentarily stops beating.

Seriously? Never heard about this... :eusa_think: But... how could the people in the period of time the expression appeared possibly know what happens to the heart when one sneezes?

FYI- She wasn't thrown out of school, as a ''suspension'' implies to us older folks....she was kept in the principles office area for the remainder of this one class.

I'm not certain it is truly called a ''suspension''.... I did an internet search on the term, and it explained the difference between an ''in school suspension'' vs ''out of school suspension'' and why ''in house suspensions'' were better because it didn't give the child a day off to just screw around at home for the day....they thought bad kids would be TRYING to get suspended basically....lol....anyway a suspension is a MINIMUM of 1 day according to what I read... so it is more likely she was just ''held in detention'' for the remainder of the period....

The nature of the "suspension" was spelled out in one of the older articles here by the school; basically it "suspended" the rest of the keyboarding class she was in:

"The majority of the time, when a student comes to the office either voluntarily or was sent by a teacher, they are placed in ISS until the end of the period because we have two supervisors in there to watch them," said Garner. "Also, it gives us a chance to find out what the situation is and what happened in the classroom for them to be in the office in the first place. In this case, this was not a religious issue at all, but more of an issue the teacher felt was a distraction in her class."
Meanwhile some interesting comments found on the story site of a TV station actually local to the area (Memphis):

The girl who made these allegations had recently transferred to Dyer County. The teacher told her class that she liked a quiet classroom and didn’t want unneeded disturbance. She told them the first day that they were all blessed by God and were excused from saying it every time someone sneezed. She got in trouble for YELLING in class. She didn’t politely say it, she yelled it to cause a stir. She was told that she wasn’t in trouble for saying “bless you” but for disturbing the class and that if she was unhappy she may talk to an administrator. She was unruly with the administration but WAS NEVER SUSPENDED. This teacher is kind and simply dislikes unneeded noise. This girl wants her moment in the spot like and as a Christian I am horrified by the hateful response by other “christians”. The school can not release any information due to FERPA (Federal Education Right to Privacy Act) because it involves disciplinary action against a student. Please try to be sure that you know all the facts before coming to a conclusion.
I was one of the first ones jumping on this student’s bandwagon I must admit. Since then I’ve learned from both of my son’s [sic] (who were in Ms.------’s class a few years ago) that yes, she was strict but, according to them fair and a good teacher. These were not new rules and put there for a reason. How many teenagers do you know that might do a 10 group bless you just to cause problems. I have also learned of the demeanor and personality (from someone I know personally that was a neighbor) of the offended ‘child’ and she might not be the best source for “Merica to be basing their decision of justice on . My children are 21 and 23 now and have a good deal of respect for Ms.------. The kids at this school are in full rebellion and will not stop until she is gone and the fame is diminished. In the mean time they are not learning ‘scratch that’ they are learning but, it isn’t a good lesson.

Did you read the whole story? It was a keyboarding class and the teacher was clear that there needed to be silence (Hard to test your typing skills when people are talking) . . . Do you know “how” she said it? Was it loud enough to be disruptive to the whole class? Did the teacher ask her to be quiet and the situation escalated? Are you sure it’s the teacher who dragged it out and not the student? Funny how we believe a teenager is telling 100% truth on FB.

This is just a big misunderstanding. I’ve had this teacher in the past and she could easily be taken the wrong way if you don’t know her well. If this story was 100% true, then I would completely agree. But the truth is, this has happened multiple times in terms of class disruption, not a limitation of rights. When this happened when I was attending the class, we just giggled and kept typing. When it comes down to it, you just gotta know which fights to pick.

Details not reported by this media outlet – she was not suspended. The student had been a regular disruption in the class and had been warned before. She said bless you REALLY loud because she thought it was funny and got called on it. Everyone move along. Just kids being kids.

She was well coached prior to this event and was ready with her statement long befor [sic] this incident.

I don’t believe her story for a second. The narrative is just ridiculous. A teacher being a jerk? That is believable. A kid copping an unfair suspension? Sure, that happens. But the story this kid told is a sad tale of a child’s limited imagination and some weird persecution complex.
The really sad part is that the child doesn’t even know that she is making things up, or just how nonsensical her story sounds.

This is the kind of stupidity you get when you do hack journalism instead of actually getting the story. Reporting non-news to boost interest when there are real stories to be reported on. Worst journalism of the month.

Since it's Dyer County and the girl's name is Turner, I call this the TurnerDyer-ies. Seems kinda fitting. :eusa_shifty:

Doubly interesting how several wags want the teacher fired, the entire school administration fired, even the county taxes withheld on the basis of nothing deeper than a teenager's Nosebook post with no other side heard from. Partisan denialists are gonna believe what the fantasy they want, facts and alternative explanations be damned.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back