Gingrich Doubles Down On Child Labor: Poor Kids Should ‘Clean The Bathroom’

Having kids clean the bathrooms at school is not in any way a solution to that, Jackson.

You're taking a job from an adult wage earner, and giving it to a kid who is still in school all day.

How does that fix poverty? :cuckoo:

The janitor has to supervise. I don't want to fire him.

So you believe that there will be the same number of adult janitors, and Newt is just proposing adding some kid janitors?

Maybe most of us on the board just don;t know what it really is like to be poor. I was there with those children and families who just couldn't provide what most of us have.

Listen to what they got for Christmas. A coloring book and crayons, and one told me his father killed Santa so he wouldn't be coming. Watch what they wear after Christmas. Forget the nice duds, some still showed up in pajamas. I bought more belts, shoes, socks and made scarfs and bought their valentines and Halloween costumes than you'll ever see. I made a store in my room full of Barbie dolls and cars and toys that they could earn with merits for good work and wonderful manners.

Don;t tell me what is good or bad. I have seen the bad and sometimes there no chance of recovery. Parents want to help, but usually can't. I tried my damnest to give them self confidence, skills and what I could. And the can and do work hard. Let them have the rewards that others never got but never deserved.

Living wage jobs for the parents/parent would be much more desireable. Don't you agree?

Absolutely. We can have both.

Having kids clean the bathrooms at school is not in any way a solution to that, Jackson.

You're taking a job from an adult wage earner, and giving it to a kid who is still in school all day.

The janitor has to supervise. I don't want to fire him.

So you believe that there will be the same number of adult janitors, and Newt is just proposing adding some kid janitors?

Just one. Along with a teacher to monitor the students in study hall.

But......if the parents have living wage jobs.....those kids can concentrate on their studies......and on being kids.

They get to be 15 or 16 and want to push fries or stock shelves.....great. But to HAVE TO in order to help support the family.................not a good thing.

Conceding ever so slightly to flak he’s taken for calling child labor laws “stupid” and suggesting that schools fire janitors and replace with them poor kids, GOP presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich got more specific today, saying working-class students should be limited to jobs like cleaning bathrooms. Bowing to concerns that janitorial work is dangerous, Gingrich floated, “What if they became assistant janitors and their jobs were to mop the floor and clean the bathroom?

And this is the GOP's "Great White Hope"? :cuckoo:

Gingrich Doubles Down On Child Labor: Poor Kids Should 'Clean The Bathroom' | ThinkProgress

For the non midget minded--here is what Newt Gingrich actually said.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvCXwjj3Uf0]Newt Gingrich: "Child Labor Laws Are Stupid" - YouTube[/ame]

Now for all you LAZY Occupy whatever protesters--I was mowing my neighbors lawn when I was 12 years old. No one forced me to do it--I made money from it--and I liked earning my own money. I also got up early in the morning to deliver newspapers.

Last edited:
But......if the parents have living wage jobs.....those kids can concentrate on their studies......and on being kids.

They get to be 15 or 16 and want to push fries or stock shelves.....great. But to HAVE TO in order to help support the family.................not a good thing.

omg... raise your kids the way you want. nobody is forcing any kids to HAVE TO GO WORK. gawd forbid.

Kids are our future. Adults can find jobs if they want them on that level. Do you agree an adult has more resources than kids?

Do you agree that this kind of reform could help teenagers?

That extra job that is lost is helping kids more and if given Gingrich's resolution that those who are unemployment have to train for other jobs could actually be a winner for those who lost their job. Would they rather be a plumber or janitor?

They can do both...

It's funny how kids can maintain a GPA to play sports, however you find it out of the question they can do the same with a job...

If they can play video games and surf the net they can certainly work...

The adults working as janitors and maintenance workers need their jobs.

Choices...choices...choices. Now I could be as unfair in my post and spin that Liberals are against choices. But I won't because I don't BS.

omg... raise your kids the way you want. nobody is forcing any kids to HAVE TO GO WORK. gawd forbid.

I agree with you... However these idiots are attempting to imply kids shouldn't work - even if they want to.

Some families cant afford to give their kids credit cards and if those kids want money they will have to earn it. Of course the only thing they can do is flip burgers or clean bathrooms, and as a matter of fact when you flip burgers one of your other jobs is to clean the bathrooms..

I don't even understand how anyone would or could complain about kids doing work..

It's odd.

Do you know how stupid that I think you are? How many times will you misunderstand the meaning of my comments before you get one right?

I am not saying 15 or 16 year olds can't. What is wrong with your ability to comprehend.

A good question.

Also, why do they think that they are making some big point when they tell us that they mowed grass as kids? As if that's what Newt was talking about, the right to mow the neighbor's lawn. :cuckoo:

I agree with you... However these idiots are attempting to imply kids shouldn't work - even if they want to.

Some families cant afford to give their kids credit cards and if those kids want money they will have to earn it. Of course the only thing they can do is flip burgers or clean bathrooms, and as a matter of fact when you flip burgers one of your other jobs is to clean the bathrooms..

I don't even understand how anyone would or could complain about kids doing work..

It's odd.

They act like he was suggesting KIDS should be FORCED to go to work...they are in full blown hysteria...it's rather comical.

What is this?? damage control for the ignorant???

No, the truth is that progressive fools such as yourself took Newts words out of context then tried to bash him for no fucking reason like the typical hateful progressives you are and then you got beaten back with the logic stick..

The solution to your argument and point is that kids shouldn't be cleaning toilets but should be doing skilled work without possessing a skill given the notion they're kids - that or they shouldn't work at all.

I'm not even a Newt supporter - I just find your opposition ignorant...

"out of context"

Child_labor.jpg

:rofl:

This is not what Gingrich or any others who support this idea are talking about and you know it.

That's exactly what Newt is talking about doing.

I don't know how we live in a country that has absolutely no problem with one person accruing over 24 billion in personal wealth by essential packaging and selling things developed in government labs on the tax payer dime..but wants to let kids work in adult jobs.

Forum List

Back