Gingrich Doubles Down On Child Labor: Poor Kids Should ‘Clean The Bathroom’

LOL! No it isn't. That's one thing I cannot do ..is BS. He just worked hard.

Dude. It is called a 6 figure salary. For you to not know that is odd.

Six Figures - 123,456

That's not odd. Lots of people make 6 figures, both my parents do, several of my aunts and uncles and cousins do...

Holy shit.....................go back and reread.

6 figure salary ----------------------6 salary figure------------------------see what I meant now?

What you people who are defending Newt and his words seem to keep conveniently leaving out is what he said:

working-class students should be limited to jobs like cleaning bathrooms

He thinks kids from the "working class" should only clean bathrooms and such.

He's an elitist and a snob, and I can't believe some of you are defending what he said.

EZ you know I love you, but no where does he make that claim, and there is nothing wrong with good hard work for anyone, rich or poor...

My mother picked cotton for $0.25 in the late '30's because her family needed the money, she was 9 years old, and she graduated from college at 19, first one in her family to do so...

That is a neat story and I hope you share that story with the children in your family. All would be proud. Unfortunately, many feel hard work even with teenagers is just too much to ask. Then we wonder where the OWs gets the ideas they have..

I went to school in the morning and worked a part-time job in the afternoons starting my junior year. Been working ever since some 40 some years.

not only helped myself, but helped my mother out.

Now I wonder how the hell I SURVIVED...lol

You were 15 or 16 during your junior year. We already allow 14 year olds to work under certain restricted conditions. I assure you, your personal example impresses no one.

don't care if it impresses you. just pointing out THAT work does help build a child's character and can be a life lessen into being a productive ADULT....
we see you sure didn't learn manners, just rudeness. but your hyperventilating on this thread is impressive.

No one disputes that work builds character.

However, what I've just embarrassed you with is your silly fucking story about working during an age that is not disputed.

Now, when you can tell us about how, at the age of 12, you were doing work ordinarily reserved for autonomously responsible adults then maybe you'll have something worth adding to this thread. Until then, spare me your lecture about rudeness, fatty.

:thup:

Besides whats wrong with cleaning toilets???

One of my uncles built a cleaning empire cleaning toilets and the other works as a custodian making like 35 bucks an hour...

Cleaning toilets can equate into big bucks if you stick with it....

You clearly do given the position you have taken on this issue.

Apparently you expect 15-year-olds to be taking on investment banking despite being 15 and having no experience while making a 6 figure salary instead of cleaning a toilet..

Who the fuck will clean the toilets dummy when all the 15-year-olds are running our lives?? the idiots that went to college or progressively learned a skill??

Sounds like Lord of the Flies to me...

Or maybe the 15-year-old should just sit on his ass and do nothing while mommy and daddy give him free money to buy the newest video game???

It is rude to begin drinking and not invite the group to join. This post is drunk.

How can you sit there and be offended by Newts words???

What can a 15-year-old do that doesn't involve flipping burgers, selling shit at retail stores or cleaning toilets???

You may as well say kids should be making the big bucks running our world...

If you're offended by Newts comments then you obviously believe in the aforementioned.

I'm not offended by Newts words. I am saddened by the reaction to them from fellow Americans. You are not good at reading between the lines.....so just stop already.

That whole line about kids making big bucks......has got to be whiskey talking.

Six Figures - 123,456

That's not odd. Lots of people make 6 figures, both my parents do, several of my aunts and uncles and cousins do...

6 figure salary ----------------------6 salary figure------------------------see what I meant now?

Dude, if I was making that salary, perhaps I know the proper way to say it. But it sure wasn't me...I was a teacher. I once asked how much he made (quizzing because of the size of his new house). lol

Six Figures - 123,456

No I don't see what you mean...

"6 salary figure" what the fuck is that??

You were 15 or 16 during your junior year. We already allow 14 year olds to work under certain restricted conditions. I assure you, your personal example impresses no one.

don't care if it impresses you. just pointing out THAT work does help build a child's character and can be a life lessen into being a productive ADULT....
we see you sure didn't learn manners, just rudeness. but your hyperventilating on this thread is impressive.

However, what I've just embarrassed you with is your silly fucking story about working during an age that is not disputed.

Now, when you can tell us about how, at the age of 12, you were doing work ordinarily reserved for autonomously responsible adults then maybe you'll have something worth adding to this thread. Until then, spare me your lecture about rudeness, fatty.

you little vulgar one could never embarrass me.
you should get a paper bag though

It is rude to begin drinking and not invite the group to join. This post is drunk.

What can a 15-year-old do that doesn't involve flipping burgers, selling shit at retail stores or cleaning toilets???

If you're offended by Newts comments then you obviously believe in the aforementioned.

I'm not offended by Newts words. I am saddened by the reaction to them from fellow Americans. You are not good at reading between the lines.....so just stop already.

What is this?? damage control for the ignorant???

No, the truth is that progressive fools such as yourself took Newts words out of context then tried to bash him for no fucking reason like the typical hateful progressives you are and then you got beaten back with the logic stick..

The solution to your argument and point is that kids shouldn't be cleaning toilets but should be doing skilled work without possessing a skill given the notion they're kids - that or they shouldn't work at all.

I'm not even a Newt supporter - I just find your opposition ignorant...

Last edited:
Newt's words..again.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX4GyCsenaY]Newt Gingrich Hates Child Labor Laws - YouTube[/ame]

To whom exactly in the GOP is Gingrich trying to appeal? Most moderates, independents, and democrats won’t buy into this.

Is this ‘work’ voluntary or mandatory? If punitive what criteria will be used to determine due process? Why just ‘poor/working class’ children? Will the children of the wealthy and well-to-do also be compelled to clean bathrooms?

If mandatory and punitive, singling out only a particular class of persons – regardless their age – could be construed as illegal and un-Constitutional.

Again, is Gingrich really this ignorant of the law? Or as with most rightists is he simply in contempt of it.

I can't say it better than this:

The Republican base does not respond to reasoned debate on public policy. The Republican base is an unreconstructed Id. It responds to emotion. It has pleasure centers that demand to be serviced, regularly.

Romney Flip Flops - The Difference Between Willard and Newt - Esquire

The idea that children should not work is very recent. Historically children worked both in and out of the home. Since it came from Think Progress, it's likely that they considerably altered the original statement or made it up completely.

All children should learn to work at the earliest ages possible.

I like how you cover all the bases here. What ThinkProgress says that Newt said is probably a lie, but you like what Think Progress says that Newt says.

Conceding ever so slightly to flak he’s taken for calling child labor laws “stupid” and suggesting that schools fire janitors and replace with them poor kids, GOP presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich got more specific today, saying working-class students should be limited to jobs like cleaning bathrooms. Bowing to concerns that janitorial work is dangerous, Gingrich floated, “What if they became assistant janitors and their jobs were to mop the floor and clean the bathroom?

And this is the GOP's "Great White Hope"? :cuckoo:

Gingrich Doubles Down On Child Labor: Poor Kids Should 'Clean The Bathroom' | ThinkProgress

So as typical--because of child labor laws--some kid wanting to sweep up in a barber shop--clean bathrooms for a little extra cash is prohibited from making extra after school money--and as usual it's because the DEMOCRAT party wants to keep them in poverty.

To whom exactly in the GOP is Gingrich trying to appeal? Most moderates, independents, and democrats won’t buy into this.

Is this ‘work’ voluntary or mandatory? If punitive what criteria will be used to determine due process? Why just ‘poor/working class’ children? Will the children of the wealthy and well-to-do also be compelled to clean bathrooms?

If mandatory and punitive, singling out only a particular class of persons – regardless their age – could be construed as illegal and un-Constitutional.

Again, is Gingrich really this ignorant of the law? Or as with most rightists is he simply in contempt of it.

I can't say it better than this:

The Republican base does not respond to reasoned debate on public policy. The Republican base is an unreconstructed Id. It responds to emotion. It has pleasure centers that demand to be serviced, regularly.

Romney Flip Flops - The Difference Between Willard and Newt - Esquire

The idea that children should not work is very recent. Historically children worked both in and out of the home. Since it came from Think Progress, it's likely that they considerably altered the original statement or made it up completely.

All children should learn to work at the earliest ages possible.

I like how you cover all the bases here. What ThinkProgress says that Newt said is probably a lie, but you like what Think Progress says that Newt says.

Sounds like progressive reasoning to me...

They're the ones with the jerky knees who respond to emotions - This thread is a perfect example of that...

Hell that picture from the 30's a few pages back really shows how knee-jerk they are. Newt says kids should clean toilets and pictures of children coal miners are posted by progressives..

Besides whats wrong with cleaning toilets???

One of my uncles built a cleaning empire cleaning toilets and the other works as a custodian making like 35 bucks an hour...

Cleaning toilets can equate into big bucks if you stick with it....

you are a lying motherfucker if you are suggesting that "sticking with it" will eventually amount to 35.hr in the janitorial field.

Ask them how quickly they ran to get hepatitis shots and how strict they are with blood born pathogens.

you little vulgar one could never embarrass me.
you should get a paper bag though

Try to read my statement again, fatty. Comprehend it this time. It was your totally unrelated life story which was your embarrassment.

I bet you'd understand the words that I'm typing if it were written on a payday wrapper.

What is this?? damage control for the ignorant???

No, the truth is that progressive fools such as yourself took Newts words out of context then tried to bash him for no fucking reason like the typical hateful progressives you are and then you got beaten back with the logic stick..

The solution to your argument and point is that kids shouldn't be cleaning toilets but should be doing skilled work without possessing a skill given the notion they're kids - that or they shouldn't work at all.

I'm not even a Newt supporter - I just find your opposition ignorant...

"out of context"

Child_labor.jpg

:rofl:

Forum List

Back