Ginger Baker RIP

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
One of the greatest drummers of all time.

Ginger Baker, Cream's volatile drummer, dies at 80

By HILLEL ITALIE, Associated Press

LONDON (AP) — Ginger Baker, the volatile and propulsive British musician who was best known for his time with the power trio Cream, died Sunday at age 80, his family said.

Baker wielded his blues power and jazz technique to help break open popular music and become one of the world's most admired and feared musicians.

With blazing eyes, orange-red hair and a temperament to match, the London native ranked with The Who's Keith Moon and Led Zeppelin's John Bonham as the embodiment of musical and personal fury. Using twin bass drums, Baker fashioned a pounding, poly-rhythmic style uncommonly swift and heavy that inspired and intimidated countless musicians. But every beat seemed to mirror an offstage eruption — whether his violent dislike of Cream bandmate Jack Bruce or his on-camera assault of a documentary maker, Jay Bulger, whom he smashed in the nose with his walking stick.

Ginger Baker, Cream's volatile drummer, dies at 80

A very talented man with a very explosive temper. RIP.
Of the two things Ginger Baker should be noted primarily for his music.

RIP. Yeah, "volatile" is an understatement. He had a Polo ranch near were I lived in Colorado for several years. Then around 1999 he got deported due to problems with INS, and IRS, and moved to South Africa I think. He smoked like a chimney, not to mention the drug use his earlier days. He had an interesting drumming style that's for sure.

Last edited:
got to see him in late 69 Cream Farewell Tour.....

Very sad that he and Jack Bruce could never get along.
Cream only made two albums. I always thought had they been able to stay together, they would have historically been up there with Led Zep, Pink Floyd, class of bands.

Cream only made two albums. I always thought had they been able to stay together, they would have historically been up there with Led Zep, Pink Floyd, class of bands.
I believe they made four records. But yes, his feuds with Jack broke up the band. and from most sources, GB was the problem, not JB

That's interesting since I have four Cream albums not counting the later live ones nor counting the bootlegs made by others (Fresh Cream, Disraeli Gears, Wheels of Fire (double) and Goodbye).

LedZep, Floyd et al were a class of bands Cream had already far surpassed before those bands bubbled up. Cream was a class by itself.

Saw them live and up close at "The Electric Factory", Philadelphia. Your eyes could see it was only Baker playing and sears would wonder if it were not
two drummers.
Together, the band was explosive.

Ginger Baker was indeed familiar with drumming rudiments. But for him to claim John Bonham couldn't swing and that he was better than Bonham was insane. A Ginger Baker drum solo sounds like a Guitar Center Saturday morning. A Bonham drum solo sounds like an interesting reincarnation of a Joe Morello drum solo. More importantly there is no way in the world Baker could hold a groove like The Lemon Song, must less The Song Remains The Same. White Room was great, but really any good drummer can do it.

Last edited:

That's interesting since I have four Cream albums not counting the later live ones nor counting the bootlegs made by others (Fresh Cream, Disraeli Gears, Wheels of Fire (double) and Goodbye).

LedZep, Floyd et al were a class of bands Cream had already far surpassed before those bands bubbled up. Cream was a class by itself.
yes they were....especially for the so called "power trio".....

Forum List

Back