RIP Ginger Baker

Wow. They opened up for CREAM? I wonder what shows on the world tour? They also opened for The Yardbirds somewhere along the line too, eh, you know.

read it and weap, Harry.

CREAM
with Spirit 03-18-68
Anaheim Convention Center Arena, Anaheim (Capacity: 9,100)

Spirit was a local L.A./Topanga Canyon band, so to have them open for Cream was a real kick; hometown boys make good! I remember vividly their performance of “Fresh Garbage” and “Mechanical World” as well as Ed Cassidy’s drum solo. Spirit were a bit ahead of the curve; these guys tapped into and presented an inventive and pioneering blend of musical styles and elements that would later serve as a career basis for other artists. Spirit organically blended hard rock and jazz-fusion with melodic interludes, great diverse vocals and lyrics that touched on social and ecological issues.
Top Ten Historic Classic Rock Concerts 1968-1972 . # 10 CREAM! and #9 the DOORS!

got to see him do that in late 69 during their farewell tour....

I was there, great concert and watching Ginger Baker playing Toad was outstanding.

at the Anaheim Convention Center?.....

Yes, it was March 18, 1968.

nope.....Oct of 69.....their farewell tour....

I realize it was some smokey times back in the day.

read it and weap, Harry.

CREAM
with Spirit 03-18-68
Anaheim Convention Center Arena, Anaheim (Capacity: 9,100)

Spirit was a local L.A./Topanga Canyon band, so to have them open for Cream was a real kick; hometown boys make good! I remember vividly their performance of “Fresh Garbage” and “Mechanical World” as well as Ed Cassidy’s drum solo. Spirit were a bit ahead of the curve; these guys tapped into and presented an inventive and pioneering blend of musical styles and elements that would later serve as a career basis for other artists. Spirit organically blended hard rock and jazz-fusion with melodic interludes, great diverse vocals and lyrics that touched on social and ecological issues.
Top Ten Historic Classic Rock Concerts 1968-1972 . # 10 CREAM! and #9 the DOORS!
was it 68?....hey im an old guy....after a while the past gets all cloudy....

I was there, great concert and watching Ginger Baker playing Toad was outstanding.
at the Anaheim Convention Center?.....
Yes, it was March 18, 1968.
nope.....Oct of 69.....their farewell tour....
I realize it was some smokey times back in the day.

I remember all the speed freaks at the 68 Baltimore show down in the front corners spazzing out. They never stopped. :auiqs.jpg:

I did too but it was 1968.

do you remember who opened for them?....for mine it was Spirit....another great band while they lasted...

Yeah I do, because the opener was so forgettable that I remember his name. The immortal household word, Terry Reid.

We all went like, "whuuut?"

I did see Spirit at some other time and place but can't remember details.

tenor.gif

do you remember who opened for them?....for mine it was Spirit....another great band while they lasted...

Yeah I do, because the opener was so forgettable that I remember his name. The immortal household word, Terry Reid.

Terry Reid?....I have heard of him....

tenor.gif

That's Steve Miller, and no not for that reason. Just because after seeing so many acts (Van Morrison, Jefferson Airplane, Creedence, Doors, Zeppelin, Steppenwolf, Dreadful Gate, Stones, Dylan, Probably Vanilla Fudge, Yes, ELP, PFM, Floyd), only a few stand out as to where and when. Oh and of course it goes without saying, Leon, every one of which I remember, I think.

The one I never saw that I wish I had: Janis. :bow3: I would have gladly given up looking up Grace Slick's skirt for that.

Terry Reid?....I have heard of him....

I remember who opened for Creedence too. Tony Joe White. Dude comes out and the entire audience goes --- "wait, what?? He's white?"

Forum List

Back