Giant 280ft asteroid will skim past earth today in close fly by traveling at 30,420 miles per hour

Yeah, I don't think the gravity of a 280 ft diameter meteor is going to cause any quakes. :)

you really are a dumb gawd do get educated your down syndrome does you no justice.

Am I really "a dumb gawd"? :lol:

Why don't you explain to those of us who are skeptical how a 280 ft diameter asteroid is going to have enough mass, while passing at that distance, to cause earthquakes. Is this some sort of super-dense asteroid? Maybe a strange form of black hole? :popcorn:

Asteroid Impact Crater Calculator - calculates the effects of the impact of an object hitting the earth

View attachment 246734

424,115,008,234,600,000,000,000 joules is a whole lot of energy, if the asteroid is made of iron, and some are much denser I'm sure.

This isn't about an impact, the asteroid isn't supposed to hit Earth.
What if the asteroid is deflected by aliens, to say, uh, California?
Then your terrorist fantasies will be realized

Often when these things are near earth good sized quakes end up taking place from the gravity disrupting the gravity pull etc.
^ :cuckoo:

Yeah, I don't think the gravity of a 280 ft diameter meteor is going to cause any quakes. :)
I may be a

you really are a dumb gawd do get educated your down syndrome does you no justice.

Why don't you explain to those of us who are skeptical how a 280 ft diameter asteroid is going to have enough mass, while passing at that distance, to cause earthquakes. Is this some sort of super-dense asteroid? Maybe a strange form of black hole? :popcorn:
Maybe it's a neutron star. Those can create serious gravitational stresses.
Imagine the earth being sucked into an object 280 ft in dia! Could actually happen if it were a dead, collapsed star.

I may be a

Imagine the earth being sucked into an object 280 ft in dia! Could actually happen if it were a dead, collapsed star.
That's what has me worried!

Asteroid Impact Crater Calculator - calculates the effects of the impact of an object hitting the earth

View attachment 246734

424,115,008,234,600,000,000,000 joules is a whole lot of energy, if the asteroid is made of iron, and some are much denser I'm sure.

What if the asteroid is deflected by aliens, to say, uh, California?
Then your terrorist fantasies will be realized
As long as we have liberal scum we will have a never ending supply of terrorists.

I may be a

A neutron star has a mass of about 1.4 times the mass of the sun, but is not much bigger than a small city, about 15 km in radius. A teaspoon of neutron star material would weigh about 10 million tons. The gravitational field is intense; the escape velocity is about 0.4 times the speed of light.

I may be a

A neutron star has a mass of about 1.4 times the mass of the sun, but is not much bigger than a small city, about 15 km in radius. A teaspoon of neutron star material would weigh about 10 million tons. The gravitational field is intense; the escape velocity is about 0.4 times the speed of light.

I don't think neutron stars flit about the solar system like asteroids, thankfully. :p

I don't think neutron stars flit about the solar system like asteroids, thankfully. :p
Just having fun with the POSSIBILITY.

I may be a

Newton?

This is an interesting difference in interpretation.

The most popularly discussed concerns with asteroids was from an impact, so I interpreted Mindwars post as a 'Whew! that was close!' kind of thing, but you are thinking in terms of its gravitational field.

Have there been any such cases where a metior cause tectonic effects without having an impact, but by gravitional well alone?

A dark brown dwarf is a more realistic concern.

One theory I have had for a while is that our sun has a twin star that is a very dark brown dwarf star that caused the darkness at the time of Jesus crucifixion. It would have an orbit that that is at an acute angle to the normal planetary orbital of our solar system and would come by once every 100,000 years or so, dragging a bunch of asteroid behind it.

I only think it a plausible thing, not probable. We probably wouldnt see it until it was darned close in astronomical terms.

Giant 280ft asteroid will skim past Earth today in close flyby travelling at 30,420 miles per hour
(Daily Mail) – A massive asteroid believed to measure 280ftin diameter is set to fly past Earth this afternoon at a dizzying speed of 30,422 miles per hour. The asteroid, dubbed 2013 MD8, is expected to skim past Earth at just over 3 million miles away, or about 13 times the distance between Earth and the moon, at 12:55 pm (ET) on Tuesday. The huge space rock is expected to make a ‘close approach’ to Earth, but its trajectory should see it soar safely by.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Often when these things are near earth good sized quakes end up taking place from the gravity disrupting the gravity pull etc.

Guess we should hope it's not like the one that hit Russia a few years ago.

other news on this mother nature chit today too LOL....

Scientists call it California’s “other big one,” and they say it could cause three times as much damage as a major earthquake ripping along the San Andreas Fault.

‘Other Big One’: Rare Mega-Storm in L.A. Area Could Cause 3 Times as Much Damage as Major Earthquake

A 280 foot rock has no significant effect on gravity except it lowers the IQs of morons who have no concept just how relatively small this rock is and how far away it will be.

^ :cuckoo:

View attachment 246734

What could be denser than the OP? I don't think we will ever see it!

A 280 foot rock has no significant effect on gravity except it lowers the IQs of morons who have no concept just how relatively small this rock is and how far away it will be.

Unless it were to hit.

This thing came close by astronomical standards and when it comes back a degree difference in orbit could be lethal.

But we have been relatively safe as long as no new objects are introduced into our solar system.

Unless it were to hit.

This thing came close by astronomical standards and when it comes back a degree difference in orbit could be lethal.

But we have been relatively safe as long as no new objects are introduced into our solar system.

A degree? You need to study more. At 13 times the distance to the moon for an object smaller than a football field is virtually microscopic.

A degree? You need to study more. At 13 times the distance to the moon for an object smaller than a football field is virtually microscopic.
Do you have any idea what the total orbit is of this asteroid? a degree could more than possibly put it hitting our planet.

Well, first of all you don't measure orbits in degrees. They are all 360 degrees.

Do you have any idea what the total orbit is of this asteroid? a degree could more than possibly put it hitting our planet.

Well, first of all you don't measure orbits in degrees. They are all 360 degrees.
Of course, but there are angles in its APPROACH TOWARD EARTH!

roflmao

Of course, but there are angles in its APPROACH TOWARD EARTH!

roflmao

Ever taken a course in orbital mechanics?

Giant 280ft asteroid will skim past Earth today in close flyby travelling at 30,420 miles per hour
(Daily Mail) – A massive asteroid believed to measure 280ftin diameter is set to fly past Earth this afternoon at a dizzying speed of 30,422 miles per hour. The asteroid, dubbed 2013 MD8, is expected to skim past Earth at just over 3 million miles away, or about 13 times the distance between Earth and the moon, at 12:55 pm (ET) on Tuesday. The huge space rock is expected to make a ‘close approach’ to Earth, but its trajectory should see it soar safely by.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess we should hope it's not like the one that hit Russia a few years ago.

other news on this mother nature chit today too LOL....

Scientists call it California’s “other big one,” and they say it could cause three times as much damage as a major earthquake ripping along the San Andreas Fault.

‘Other Big One’: Rare Mega-Storm in L.A. Area Could Cause 3 Times as Much Damage as Major Earthquake
OMG...there is an asteroid heading toward Uranus! :auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back