Giant 280ft asteroid will skim past earth today in close fly by traveling at 30,420 miles per hour

Why don't you explain to those of us who are skeptical how a 280 ft diameter asteroid is going to have enough mass, while passing at that distance, to cause earthquakes. Is this some sort of super-dense asteroid? Maybe a strange form of black hole? :popcorn:
Maybe it's a neutron star. Those can create serious gravitational stresses.

A dark brown dwarf is a more realistic concern.

One theory I have had for a while is that our sun has a twin star that is a very dark brown dwarf star that caused the darkness at the time of Jesus crucifixion. It would have an orbit that that is at an acute angle to the normal planetary orbital of our solar system and would come by once every 100,000 years or so, dragging a bunch of asteroid behind it.

I only think it a plausible thing, not probable. We probably wouldnt see it until it was darned close in astronomical terms.
Scientists would see it way before that because of the gravitational effects it would cause on other planetary bodies. Of course, for the record, most of posts on this topic have been made in jest.

Why don't you explain to those of us who are skeptical how a 280 ft diameter asteroid is going to have enough mass, while passing at that distance, to cause earthquakes. Is this some sort of super-dense asteroid? Maybe a strange form of black hole? :popcorn:

One theory I have had for a while is that our sun has a twin star that is a very dark brown dwarf star that caused the darkness at the time of Jesus crucifixion. It would have an orbit that that is at an acute angle to the normal planetary orbital of our solar system and would come by once every 100,000 years or so, dragging a bunch of asteroid behind it.

I only think it a plausible thing, not probable. We probably wouldnt see it until it was darned close in astronomical terms.
Scientists would see it way before that because of the gravitational effects it would cause on other planetary bodies. Of course, for the record, most of posts on this topic have been made in jest.

Surely you jest?

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

This isn't about an impact, the asteroid isn't supposed to hit Earth.
This is an interesting difference in interpretation.

The most popularly discussed concerns with asteroids was from an impact, so I interpreted Mindwars post as a 'Whew! that was close!' kind of thing, but you are thinking in terms of its gravitational field.

Have there been any such cases where a metior cause tectonic effects without having an impact, but by gravitional well alone?
In my opinion, if it is just a mass of rock, it has insufficient mass to effect anything like that.

The most popularly discussed concerns with asteroids was from an impact, so I interpreted Mindwars post as a 'Whew! that was close!' kind of thing, but you are thinking in terms of its gravitational field.

Have there been any such cases where a metior cause tectonic effects without having an impact, but by gravitional well alone?
In my opinion, if it is just a mass of rock, it has insufficient mass to effect anything like that.

In my opinion you are right, but it could be attracted closer to the earth by gravitational forces impacted by the density of the OP's head. Shoot her off into space on board a Russian rocket and we might be safer. It couldn't hurt, right?

In my opinion you are right, but it could be attracted closer to the earth by gravitational forces impacted by the density of the OP's head. Shoot her off into space on board a Russian rocket and we might be safer. It couldn't hurt, right?
No, I don't think we can afford to get spaced out with the Russians. Next thing you know she'll be president. ;)

Well, she did mention asteroids passing close by having an impact based on their gravity: "Often when these things are near earth good sized quakes end up taking place from the gravity disrupting the gravity pull etc." That seems to pretty clearly be saying that asteroids which pass close to Earth cause quakes, not those which impact.

Surely you jest?

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

"It's a different kind of asteroid. Altogether."

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit watching Airplane

I think gay men are to blame. All that oral sex is creating a sort of gravitational pull that is pulling these things out of their orbit and toward earth. :cryhug_1_:

Starship Enterprise can stop it with futon torpedoes! :auiqs.jpg:

Is this a futon torpedo? :p

traditional_support6.jpg

Forum List

Back