Getting My Fudd On.....1948 Remington Model 11A

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked-up this 1948-made (last year production) 12 ga Rem. Model 11 in pretty decent shape today. 28" Modified choke barrel. I have $205.00 in it. Runs great!

11 001 (2).JPG

I might source another barrel for it and cut it down....They make for fun "riot guns".

I picked-up this 1948-made (last year production) 12 ga Rem. Model 11 in pretty decent shape today. 28" Modified choke barrel. I have $205.00 in it. Runs great!

View attachment 664112

I might source another barrel for it and cut it down....They make for fun "riot guns".

Nice! Last time I had one of those, I completely disassembled it down to the component parts, meticulously cleaned, oiled, and reassembled it, loaded it, and took it out back to test it.

Remember rule number three? "Keep your finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target"?

I started to draw down on a target I had, but put my finger on the trigger before I aimed, and it fired.

The stock was a little oily from the cleaning and not having a firm grip on it, the darned thing slid out of my hands, chambered another round on the way down, and landed in the grass right behind me. With the muzzle pointing right at me.

Luckily, I didn't die. <insert sheepish_grin.gif here>

Nice! Last time I had one of those, I completely disassembled it down to the component parts, meticulously cleaned, oiled, and reassembled it, loaded it, and took it out back to test it.

Remember rule number three? "Keep your finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target"?

I started to draw down on a target I had, but put my finger on the trigger before I aimed, and it fired.

The stock was a little oily from the cleaning and not having a firm grip on it, the darned thing slid out of my hands, chambered another round on the way down, and landed in the grass right behind me. With the muzzle pointing right at me.

Luckily, I didn't die. <insert sheepish_grin.gif here>
But you learned....hopefully. ;)

But you learned....hopefully. ;)

Yes I did. I also had two other shotguns, I can't remember the names or models. One of them was cocked by grabbing a knurled place on the barrel, and pushing it back. The other had what was called a "suicide safety", which was right in front of the trigger, in the trigger guard. I dumped those at a gun show awhile back.

Yes I did. I also had two other shotguns, I can't remember the names or models. One of them was cocked by grabbing a knurled place on the barrel, and pushing it back. The other had what was called a "suicide safety", which was right in front of the trigger, in the trigger guard. I dumped those at a gun show awhile back.
Early Model 11s had the "suicide safety"inside the TG as did Marlin shotguns of the era.

The Winchester was the Model 1911 nicknamed the Widowmaker. It was effort by Winchester to get around the Browning patents and it failed miserably though they made 83K of them

Wiki says:

As recently as 2005, four people accidentally shot themselves with the 1911 while loading or clearing the weapon.

Winchester Model 1911 - Wikipedia

Early Model 11s had the "suicide safety"inside the TG as did Marlin shotguns of the era.

The Winchester was the Model 1911nicknamed the Widow-Maker. It was effort by Winchester to get around the Browning patents and it failed miserably.

Yeah, those two. But the one with the safety in the trigger guard was a pump with the Browning patent-looking hump. It was a takedown model too: Unscrew the magazine and the barrel would slide downward out of the receiver. I don't really remember the make/model.

View attachment 664112

Make a whippet.

Yeah, those two. But the one with the safety in the trigger guard was a pump with the Browning patent-looking hump. It was a takedown model too: Unscrew the magazine and the barrel would slide downward out of the receiver. I don't really remember the make/model.
That was a Marlin 28 or 44 pump. They were right weird. They made a hammer gun too.

110713Var%20017.jpg

2b51a55d17215f40a5820b52a1bf414c.jpg

1898 hammer gun

R.ddb4f987662538c91146e8991a2dfdbf

Make a whippet.

Nah, been there and done that years ago with a beat-up M-11....It was not all that. I prefer the normal riot/messenger configuration.

This one is in such good shape it would be a damn shame to cut the barrel down.

That was a Marlin 28 or 44 pump. They were right weird. They made a hammer gun too.

110713Var%20017.jpg

2b51a55d17215f40a5820b52a1bf414c.jpg

1898 hammer gun

R.ddb4f987662538c91146e8991a2dfdbf

No, it wasn't a Marlin. It had a more pronounced Browning hump in the receiver. I should have written down what the darned thing was.

I found it: It was a Stevens Model 520.

1656589996794.png

I sourced a extra barrel today.....A 28" with a polychoke. I'm thinking of cutting it back to 18" including the body length of the poly choke which will be a permanent install....Should be around 19".

The barrel code puts it two years away from mine so it should work just fine. :)

s-l1600.jpg

Forum List

Back