Getting more groceries from your groceries

JustAnotherNut

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2015
Say what????? Yep.

Whether you grow your own or buy your produce in the store, it is possible to get more from it. Things like lettuce, spinach, kale and celery are what's called 'cut and come again' where if you leave the plants in place, just cut or pinch off what you need and it will continue to grow more for a continual harvest.
IF you purchase these items in the store, it would have to have the roots still intact, though possibly just the core or base that the leaves grow out of....and can be planted. This is especially true of celery. When you use the ribs, be sure to cut them off about an inch or so above the base. Once you've used it all, then put the base in a shallow dish of water. Not only will it grow roots around the bottom, but also new growth will come up from the top. This too can be planted to regrow the celery.

Potatoes?? Sure, they can be sprouted (if they haven't been sprayed to prevent it) and cut into pieces with 2 or 3 eyes or left whole and planted. Just be aware of any diseases or blight (black spots on or inside) that may be transferred to your soil and potential future crops.

Store bought tomatoes and peppers and squashes MAY provide seed to grow your own, though squash seeds are also a great snack once roasted. Also dry soup beans. You will need to test germination of any of those seeds and the easiest way to do that is to put several seeds into a damp paper towel and into a plastic sandwich baggie. Start checking it after about a week for any possible sprouting. If you don't see anything after 2 weeks, you can be pretty sure they're no good. But if there is sprouting of roots, they can be planted.

Things like peas & green beans in the produce aisle probably are not a good option for seeds to grow since they are usually picked while immature and the seeds inside are not fully developed

I don't really recommend this practice, given the knowledge of Big AG practices, chemicals used, gene splicing, etc...…..but I am saying it is possible to do and since seed companies are overwhelmed with orders and can't keep up or being sold out, it is a way to put food on your table longer than just this week.

Say what????? Yep.

Whether you grow your own or buy your produce in the store, it is possible to get more from it. Things like lettuce, spinach, kale and celery are what's called 'cut and come again' where if you leave the plants in place, just cut or pinch off what you need and it will continue to grow more for a continual harvest.
IF you purchase these items in the store, it would have to have the roots still intact, though possibly just the core or base that the leaves grow out of....and can be planted. This is especially true of celery. When you use the ribs, be sure to cut them off about an inch or so above the base. Once you've used it all, then put the base in a shallow dish of water. Not only will it grow roots around the bottom, but also new growth will come up from the top. This too can be planted to regrow the celery.

Potatoes?? Sure, they can be sprouted (if they haven't been sprayed to prevent it) and cut into pieces with 2 or 3 eyes or left whole and planted. Just be aware of any diseases or blight (black spots on or inside) that may be transferred to your soil and potential future crops.

Store bought tomatoes and peppers and squashes MAY provide seed to grow your own, though squash seeds are also a great snack once roasted. Also dry soup beans. You will need to test germination of any of those seeds and the easiest way to do that is to put several seeds into a damp paper towel and into a plastic sandwich baggie. Start checking it after about a week for any possible sprouting. If you don't see anything after 2 weeks, you can be pretty sure they're no good. But if there is sprouting of roots, they can be planted.

Things like peas & green beans in the produce aisle probably are not a good option for seeds to grow since they are usually picked while immature and the seeds inside are not fully developed

I don't really recommend this practice, given the knowledge of Big AG practices, chemicals used, gene splicing, etc...…..but I am saying it is possible to do and since seed companies are overwhelmed with orders and can't keep up or being sold out, it is a way to put food on your table longer than just this week.
Thanks for the info.

Say what????? Yep.

Thanks for the info.
Just be aware of possible negatives in using store bought items to grow more.....mainly either the seeds don't germinate or of any diseases. Another possibility are hybrids, that the seeds grown from won't produce the same. Just so you know what MAY happen.

Say what????? Yep.

Thanks for the info.
Just be aware of possible negatives in using store bought items to grow more.....mainly either the seeds don't germinate or of any diseases. Another possibility are hybrids, that the seeds grown from won't produce the same. Just so you know what MAY happen.
Thanks.

Something else to get more bang for your buck, but not about gardening..........it to save the bones from any meat, whether they are raw or cooked to make broth with that can be used for soup, stews, gravy or sauces or to drink as is. If you only have a few bones that you don't think is enough to bother with, then put them in a Ziploc in the freezer until you do.
You can even save the bones from seasoned meats......such as the other night we had some wings that had been breaded and fried and some were tossed with buffalo sauce. I save all of them, even from the sauced wings, plus I had cut off the wing tips to use in broth. And for my next batch of chicken broth, I've already purchased some bone in breast that I'll cut off the meat for one meal, and use the bone & skin for broth.

Not a lot of beef with bones available on the market anymore, other than a slab of ribs or maybe neck bones or on steaks. Beef neck bones usually come with a lot of meat left on them, so when you make broth from the bones, you can pick them clean of any meat to be added to a meal.

If you need a recipe, I'm pretty sure I've posted here about making 'Bone Broth' or you can do your own search.

For anyone that has, or knows of someone that has babies.......I don't know if the companies still do this or not......but contact the makers of disposable diapers and infant formula to receive either free products or discounted coupons from them for their products.

For anyone that has, or knows of someone that has babies.......I don't know if the companies still do this or not......but contact the makers of disposable diapers and infant formula to receive either free products or discounted coupons from them for their products.

If you have a food manufacturing plant see if they have a local company store and find someone who works there willing to let you plus one them. Usually a lot cheaper. We have one that a lot of people use to get baby formula through.

Veggies too... carrot ends, onion peels, celery leaves... why use to good parts to make broth... save the parts you would throw away.

Berry season is right around the corner, so check to see if there are any u-pick farms near you. It's usually a bit cheaper than buying from the store, or even produce stands or farmers markets. Same goes for other fruits & veggies, though I've never found any around here that do have u-pick options and only a small handful of strawberry farms that do, but not for other berries or fruit.

Anyway, if you make your own jam, you can get more from it. First, crush the berries as you normally would, then tie them up in cheesecloth to drain off all the juices. Use the juice to make jelly......then the berries for jam. If you are a bit short on measurements, you can add a bit of water to either batch.

Berry season is right around the corner, so check to see if there are any u-pick farms near you. It's usually a bit cheaper than buying from the store, or even produce stands or farmers markets. Same goes for other fruits & veggies, though I've never found any around here that do have u-pick options and only a small handful of strawberry farms that do, but not for other berries or fruit.

Anyway, if you make your own jam, you can get more from it. First, crush the berries as you normally would, then tie them up in cheesecloth to drain off all the juices. Use the juice to make jelly......then the berries for jam. If you are a bit short on measurements, you can add a bit of water to either batch.

Funny you mention berries. I have a berry called "autumn olive" or "russian olive" think it was. Very invasive species, illegal many states. Out state bird "redbirds" love them (kinda like a small cardinal) The berry is a sweet/tart! If one can imagine that. Kinda pinkish red with a lace pattern on it. What woke me up with your post is I made a mess of jam, but didn't use the cheesecloth or jelly bags. They got seeds. Bout the size of a blue berry

I also get tons of black and red rasb's in the edges of my fields. Lots chiggers though. However walk and munch sometimes.

My latest berry adventure is Gogis. Planted 2 years ago maybe 3. Strange berry. High in anti oxidants. Pick in fall, before frost! I see them on fleabay, $15 a half pound dehydrated.

Just take a walk through the woods..... this aint exactly what it seems. Juani Appleseed had a better seed source than Johnny
2.jpg

The only suckage to the tropics is damn few berries. Plenty of blackberry but no others(that I found yet) Everything is a vine or tree.Some cactus down the mountain in the dry tropical zone

100-PCS-Pitaya-Seeds-Perennial-Plants-Fruit-Tree-Anti-aging-White-Dragon-Fruit-Seeds-for-Home66.jpg

Then ya got type 2 available. Niigafoo, 45 cents a lb here
Necks, gizzds, heart, liver and feets in a mixed bag. Menudos.
menudos.jpg

I made the dogs food and use the broth for lots of other stuff, after chill and skim. OK. When I clean the necks and cut it all up a few gizz,s and livers go missing
Here's 3 kilos. 6 1/2 lbs.Todays "work"

Hell. Chop some onion, pepper, celery. potato and serve over tuned up rice.20 guys, no problem

Funny you mention berries. I have a berry called "autumn olive" or "russian olive" think it was. Very invasive species, illegal many states. Out state bird "redbirds" love them (kinda like a small cardinal) The berry is a sweet/tart! If one can imagine that. Kinda pinkish red with a lace pattern on it. What woke me up with your post is I made a mess of jam, but didn't use the cheesecloth or jelly bags. They got seeds. Bout the size of a blue berry

I also get tons of black and red rasb's in the edges of my fields. Lots chiggers though. However walk and munch sometimes.

My latest berry adventure is Gogis. Planted 2 years ago maybe 3. Strange berry. High in anti oxidants. Pick in fall, before frost! I see them on fleabay, $15 a half pound dehydrated.

I've not heard of Autumn Olive berry and doing a search, I don't think I've ever seen it. May not grow around here, I don't know. Maybe I just haven't been looking.

We have Salmon berries, that are good for eating at one stage, but nasty if picked before or after. I've never tried to make jam from them.

We also have Thimble berries, that I never knew was edible before, but I guess they are. I do know the berries are very soft and fall apart easily.

We also have Red Huckleberries, another that we've eaten but never tried jam or other cooking. My neighbor has a couple of bushes, I may have to see if I can get some this year.

Last edited:
Then ya got type 2 available. Niigafoo, 45 cents a lb here
Necks, gizzds, heart, liver and feets in a mixed bag. Menudos.View attachment 322991
I made the dogs food and use the broth for lots of other stuff, after chill and skim. OK. When I clean the necks and cut it all up a few gizz,s and livers go missing
Here's 3 kilos. 6 1/2 lbs.Todays "work"

Hell. Chop some onion, pepper, celery. potato and serve over tuned up rice.20 guys, no problem

You EAT the feet??? I've always save those for broth, along with the necks & other odd parts & bones. Never cared for the liver and usually given to the cats or dogs......hearts & gizzards though are good dredged in seasoned flour & fried crispy.

Using the feet, necks, and/or other bones to make broth...…...add a splash of ACV & simmer for a day or two, till those bones are mush then you can feed it all to the dogs...…..but you have to make sure the bones are soft and NO hard splinters to choke on

Forum List

Back