Get the lead out?

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
The bipartisan infrastructure agreement reached last week will get rid of all of the country's lead pines and service lines, according to a new White House memo, but it's not clear how long it will take.

The memo, from National Economic Council Director Brian Deese and senior adviser Anita Dunn, says the bipartisan framework "will replace 100 percent of the nation’s lead pipes and service lines."

White House press secretary Jen Psaki also told reporters on Monday that “it will put Americans to work replacing 100 percent of our nation’s lead water pipes” but wouldn’t give a time period when asked how long it would take.

“The details are very important here. It needs to all be written into the final legislation of the bill, but the president is clearly eager to get that done as quickly as possible,” she said when asked about timing.

What’s in the agreement?: Overall, the package will put $55 billion toward “water infrastructure,” which will include replacing lead service lines.

This figure and others were initially announced last week as part of the $579 billion in new spending for infrastructure.

It was also announced that other funds would go towards environmental purposes, including $7.5 billion for electric vehicle infrastructure and an additional $7.5 billion for electric buses.

We're going to replace ALL of the lead pipes for $55 billion? I'm a tad skeptical about that, doesn't seem like enough money to do that.

1624919824578.png

Construction hasn't use lead for decades already.

So where are all these lead pipes?

*****SMILE*****

:)

What lead water pipes? Sure, there are still copper water lines on houses that had the fittings sweated on with lead solder, but who the hell drinks tap water anyway?

Why does the the Biden administration hate the water filtration industry? Besides, isn't it the ingestion of small amounts of lead over time that causes people to go retarded, turn liberal, and vote for Democrats?

Despite lead being more expensive than steel or other pipes, lead pipes were a better investment for municipalities and building owners because they lasted so much longer," author Seth M. Siegel described in his recently published book Troubled Water.

"By 1900, twenty-three of the twenty-five largest U.S. cities, and 85 percent of all cities, were primarily using lead service lines," Siegel added, citing research by Werner Troesken, a Professor of History at the University of Pittsburgh.
While the use of lead for new drinking water lines slowed – eventually to a standstill – in the second half of the 20th century, there remains more than 6.1 million lead service lines in the United States, most prominently in Illinois and Ohio.
So then why isn't there a huge problem with lead poisoning nationwide?

The answer is that utilities insert innocuous chemicals into drinking water that create buildups of minerals that coat the interiors of lead pipes, sealing off the lead from the water. But these coatings can quickly break down if the chemical balance is disturbed. In Flint, all it took for the protective minerals to dissipate was switching Flint's drinking water source from Lake Huron to the Flint River, as the latter had far more pollutants. In other isolated cases, shaking caused by nearby construction was enough to temporarily shake loose protective coatings inside lead pipes and cause lead levels to spike thousands of times higher than the EPA's required action levels.
Almost all of America's remaining lead pipes are due to be replaced by the middle of the century, but there are currently few widespread calls to get the work underway, perhaps because digging up water lines is costly and inconvenient.
The American Water Works Association estimated that completely replacing all lead pipes would cost a trillion dollars.

The above was written almost 3 years ago. I doubt much has changed, we might not be building new water lines that are not lead, but I don't think very many places have been digging up and replacing old lead pipes either. Which is a laudable idea, but I don't think $55 billion s enough to get it all done. My guess is, that money is just to get started.

Despite lead being more expensive than steel or other pipes, lead pipes were a better investment for municipalities and building owners because they lasted so much longer," author Seth M. Siegel described in his recently published book Troubled Water.

"By 1900, twenty-three of the twenty-five largest U.S. cities, and 85 percent of all cities, were primarily using lead service lines," Siegel added, citing research by Werner Troesken, a Professor of History at the University of Pittsburgh.
While the use of lead for new drinking water lines slowed – eventually to a standstill – in the second half of the 20th century, there remains more than 6.1 million lead service lines in the United States, most prominently in Illinois and Ohio.
So then why isn't there a huge problem with lead poisoning nationwide?

The answer is that utilities insert innocuous chemicals into drinking water that create buildups of minerals that coat the interiors of lead pipes, sealing off the lead from the water. But these coatings can quickly break down if the chemical balance is disturbed. In Flint, all it took for the protective minerals to dissipate was switching Flint's drinking water source from Lake Huron to the Flint River, as the latter had far more pollutants. In other isolated cases, shaking caused by nearby construction was enough to temporarily shake loose protective coatings inside lead pipes and cause lead levels to spike thousands of times higher than the EPA's required action levels.
Almost all of America's remaining lead pipes are due to be replaced by the middle of the century, but there are currently few widespread calls to get the work underway, perhaps because digging up water lines is costly and inconvenient.
The American Water Works Association estimated that completely replacing all lead pipes would cost a trillion dollars.

The above was written almost 3 years ago. I doubt much has changed, we might not be building new water lines that are not lead, but I don't think very many places have been digging up and replacing old lead pipes either. Which is a laudable idea, but I don't think $55 billion s enough to get it all done. My guess is, that money is just to get started.
Have no doubt that local municipalities will still charge higher tax assessments through property taxes to owners.

Damaged Eagle
I agree. They stopped using lead decades ago. I suppose some really old, old buildings might have them but everyone else has copper or plastic pipe.

More bull shit thrown by bull shit artists. Good Lord. None of them seem to have a working brain.

Damaged Eagle
I agree. They stopped using lead decades ago. I suppose some really old, old buildings might have them but everyone else has copper or plastic pipe.

More bull shit thrown by bull shit artists. Good Lord. None of them seem to have a working brain.

Old cities still have a lot of lead pipes .

View attachment 506661

Construction hasn't use lead for decades already.

So where are all these lead pipes?

*****SMILE*****

:)

All over the place.

They didn't start replacing lead pipes until 1950.. There are still a lot of them in use.

Why Does the U.S. Still Have So Many Lead Water Pipes ...
Oct 17, 2019 · Five years ago, the Flint Water Crisis woke Americans to the potential danger of lead in drinking water. Still, many onlookers might think that this is an isolated problem, endemic to a forlorn city long seen as an outlier from the rest of America. While it's true that America's drinking water is safe and generally well-managed, it's also true that tens of millions of Americans rely on public drinking water systems that utilize vast lines of aging lead pipes …

Forum List

Back