Gerrymandering: Supreme Court Ruling Will Decide.

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
The Supreme Court is hearing arguments by The Arizona Legislature to quash efforts by citizens doing what they can to end Gerrymandering.

Gerrymandering is blatant political cheating, akin to ballot box stuffing and buying votes.

Both sides should be ashamed of their use of the practice.

From the article, Five Reasons Why This Case to End Gerrymandering Is Important

3. Gerrymandering Rewards Extremism
When voters of different parties are segregated into separate districts, politicians no longer have to listen to citizens with different political viewpoints. This encourages elected officials to appeal to political extremes by scoring points against the other party rather than working with them to solve the problems that are most important to Americans. Elected officials retreat to their partisan corners, where sound bites trump statesmanship. As a result, the last Congress was one of the most polarized of all time.

Five Reasons Why This Case to End Gerrymandering Is Important BillMoyers.com

4. Outcomes Don’t Match Votes.
The goal of gerrymandering is to make sure that votes for the opposing party lead to as few seats as possible for them. The results are indisputable. During the 2012 election, following an aggressive Republican gerrymander in the state, more than half of North Carolina voters cast ballots for Democratic candidates for Congress. Nonetheless, Republicans took 70 percent of seats. In Pennsylvania, Democrats won about half of all votes cast for Congress but won only a quarter of the seats drawn by the Republican legislature. In Maryland, Democrats drew one of the most gerrymandered districts in America and succeeded in winning 88 percent of the state’s congressional districts despite winning only 62 percent of votes. Illinois Democrats drew districts so effective at wasting Republican votes that they won two-thirds of the state’s congressional districts with only 54 percent of the vote.

Both sides are guilty of it. Gerrymandering must end. The time for public outcry is now.

The goal of gerrymandering is to make sure that votes for the opposing party lead to as few seats as possible for them. The results are indisputable. During the 2012 election, following an aggressive Republican gerrymander in the state, more than half of North Carolina voters cast ballots for Democratic candidates for Congress. Nonetheless, Republicans took 70 percent of seats. In Pennsylvania, Democrats won about half of all votes cast for Congress but won only a quarter of the seats drawn by the Republican legislature. In Maryland, Democrats drew one of the most gerrymandered districts in America and succeeded in winning 88 percent of the state’s congressional districts despite winning only 62 percent of votes. Illinois Democrats drew districts so effective at wasting Republican votes that they won two-thirds of the state’s congressional districts with only 54 percent of the vote.

Both sides are guilty of it. Gerrymandering must end. The time for public outcry is now.

You can't end gerrymandering, it'll reduce minority representation.

You are absolutely right- both sides are guilty of it.

And it pisses me off too.

Sorry, Bud - I disagree. Over representation by minority extremists in both parties needs to be reduced as quickly as possible.

The only blue district in my State is represented by a minority and it was gerrymandered to give a minority a better chance of being elected. The district is about 65% minority by design.

Sorry, Bud - I disagree. Over representation by minority extremists in both parties needs to be reduced as quickly as possible.

You don't have to convince me, you have to convince the liberals who benefit from political apartheid.

So far every anti-gerrymandering law has been run by big contributors. Without gerrymandering lobbying costs would go through the roof. In safe D districts the contributions to R candidates can be kept to effectively zero and vice versa for R districts. That saves a lot on bribery expenses.

I think they should just take a grid - lay it over a map - and use that to create districts.

I think they should just take a grid - lay it over a map - and use that to create districts.
That would be unconstitutional.

Districts are to be alike in size of population, not land size.

Baker v Carr, if you are interested.

Somebody has to draw these lines, the party in power calls it redistricting, the party out of power calls it gerrymandering.

Libs never bitch when seats are created for Ellison, Waters, Jackson-Lee et al.

Somebody has to draw these lines, the party in power calls it redistricting, the party out of power calls it gerrymandering.

Gerrymandering has a distinct definition and it's gone to far with both parties. It needs to end.

Gerrymandering has a distinct definition and it's gone to far with both parties. It needs to end.
Like I said, one man's redistricting is another's Gerrymandering.

Baker v Carr is a strange case.

Essentially says the US Senate can represent trees, not people, but state Senates cannot.

Turned places like Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, over to the savages in the cities.

Baker V Carr is a large reason the Rust Belt rusted.

Every state needs a citizens commission to draw the districts made up of an equal number of Republicans, Democrats, and Independent/Third Party voters to avoid this kind of shit.

The 10 Most Gerrymandered Districts In America
Could you tell us who serves each of those districts?

Democrats represent all of them I believe, but the majority of them were drawn that way by Republicans in order to create more safe seats for themselves by packing higher percentages of Democrat voters into the gerrymandered ones. Of course, that's not the narrative you were trying to portray now, is it......

Every state needs a citizens commission to draw the districts made up of an equal number of Republicans, Democrats, and Independent/Third Party voters to avoid this kind of shit.

Why would it matter?
Because I am curious, and figured he knew the net, and researching it better than I do.

Why does it matter to you why I wanted to know?

You some asschapped partisan buttfuck that thinks posting who is in these districts might embarrass you?

Democrats represent all of them I believe, but the majority of them were drawn that way by Republicans in order to create more safe seats for themselves by packing higher percentages of Democrat voters into the gerrymandered ones. Of course, that's not the narrative you were trying to portray now, is it......
I wasn't trying to portray any narrative.

I was curious and you apparently had the info at hand.

You can blow it out your ass too if you think there was an agenda in the question.

I'll try to remember to just ignore your posts.

I wasn't trying to portray any narrative.

I was curious and you apparently had the info at hand.

You can blow it out your ass too if you think there was an agenda in the question.

I'll try to remember to just ignore your posts.

I know there was an agenda, but you're certainly free to pretend otherwise.

And the agenda is working, the Ds have one possible candidate for president who can win, Hillary. by the end of her term the microscopic current D bench will effectively not exist.

Forum List

Back