Germany to Close All 84 Coal-fired power plants, rely primarily on Renewable energy

Not if you used PV-sourced power to do it. And you can burn the hydrogen if you want, but a better use for it might be fuel cells.

Yes PV would be a sensible option. Not sure what would be more efficient the fuel cell or the Rankine cycle.... Have to look more closely at the potential loss interfaces in both. I guess it would depend on the end use.

Jo

Excellent!!!
Because more expensive power is better.
and the world will get an education on fact you cant run a modern economy on renewables, prepare for German jobs landing in a town near you
But a good part of the world can run on Natgas and renewables.
Let Coal die
Make Coal Die.
`
then why did Germany just reopen coal plants? And order more coal? you sir a liar.

BTW, it was due to costs.

Progressive fakery is ghey.....

The True Cost of Solar Energy

:safetocomeoutff:
""""....The Final Word

Solar energy can provide consumers with significant savings on electricity. If adequate measures are taken to minimize its effects on the environment, the technology could prove to be a strong alternative to fossil fuels and wind power.".."

`
no good energy storage, your assessment fails. PacMan kill.

and Far too expensive.

and at Home too... and Naturally.

US Coal Consumption Drops to Lowest Level Since 1979
By Ryan Morris - Jan 28, 2019
US Coal Consumption Drops to Lowest Level Since 1979

Contrary to popular belief, the United States is using less coal than ever before – and in 2018, coal usage reached its lowest level in almost 40 years.

After reaching its peak in 2007, coal usage has been in sharp decline as safer and more efficient energy sources take on more substantial roles on the American electrical grid.

According to a recent report from the U.S. Energy Information Administration, coal usage fell by 4% in 2018, which is the lowest it has been since Jimmy Carter’s presidency in 1979.

Natural gas, an energy source that releases 50% to 60% less carbon dioxide emissions than coal, surpassed coal as the leading source of U.S. electricity generation in 2016. The increased use of natural gas, along with renewable energy sources such as solar and wind, have led economists and analysts alike to predict a significant decrease in coal usage by 2050.
[.....]
`
natural gas and only natural gas. renewables are still less than 5%. dude, you are losing your argument each time you post.

Not if you used PV-sourced power to do it. And you can burn the hydrogen if you want, but a better use for it might be fuel cells.

Yes PV would be a sensible option. Not sure what would be more efficient the fuel cell or the Rankine cycle.... Have to look more closely at the potential loss interfaces in both. I guess it would depend on the end use.

Jo

When I first went to college the seniors had a project in which they'd converted a Toyota Corolla to burn hydrogen in its engine. One of the primary problems was the amount of energy available from burning hydrogen vs that of hydrocarbon fuels. Hiydrogen combustion is hotter, but the hydrocarbons are more volumetrically dense. Burning gasoline produces more expansion than burning hydrogen and thus it does not produce as much horsepower in a normally aspirated engine. Using hydrogen in a fuel cell is much more efficient.

Hydrogen in large quantities is currently produced from methane and steam and creates CO and CO2 as a waste product. Electrolysis produces virtually no carbon waste but until recently has been more expensive due to the cost of electricity. As alternative energy costs have come down and electrolysis technology has improved (proton exchange membranes) electrolysis will be taking over.

Excellent!!!
and the world will get an education on fact you cant run a modern economy on renewables, prepare for German jobs landing in a town near you
Let Coal die
Make Coal Die.
`
then why did Germany just reopen coal plants? And order more coal? you sir a liar.

Exactly.....and they just dont get that no matter what the science says, costs will ALWAYS dictate whether the science will matter or not! The public policy makers will never allow cities to burn based upon some theory....which is why fossil fuels will dominate for decades to come. The AGW religion might just as well grab some popcorn and pull up a chair. Munch munch :popcorn:

Excellent!!!
Let Coal die
Make Coal Die.
`

Exactly.....and they just dont get that no matter what the science says, costs will ALWAYS dictate whether the science will matter or not! The public policy makers will never allow cities to burn based upon some theory....which is why fossil fuels will dominate for decades to come. The AGW religion might just as well grab some popcorn and pull up a chair. Munch munch :popcorn:
Oooh look..
Another thread of give-and-go for the sections/board's biggest Trolls.
`

Excellent!!!
Let Coal die
Make Coal Die.
`

Oooh look..
Another thread of give-and-go for the sections/board's biggest Trolls.
`

But always victorious s0n! We dont even have to try hard!:bye1:

The thread created by SSDD, JC, Billy, Tommy, Polar et. al. called MORE PROOF THE SKEPTICS ARE WINNING is epic on the entire USMB. Soon will be 1/2 million "views".:ack-1::ack-1::ack-1::2up:

Your threads?

Kinda pathetic dont ya think?:flirtysmile4:

Last edited:
Education is the key. To so many people, nuclear power is implicitly diabolical. My mother-in-law could not be disabused of the notion that a microwave oven used nuclear radiation, would make her food radioactive and would give her cancer.

the US should follow Germany's lead

Get your fellow greens to push for 100 new nuke plants and we could.

Todd's correct, here.

Why ‘Green’ Germany Remains Addicted to Coal

"Yet even as Ms. Merkel was a leader in setting ambitious targets for reducing greenhouse gas emissions and decided in the wake of the Fukushima disaster to shutter the country’s nuclear plants by 2022, successive governments under her leadership have failed to take the necessary, painful political decisions to quit coal."

the US should follow Germany's lead
You don`t have a clue what`s going on in Germany. And that`s because the propaganda you base your information on does not report just how pissed off almost all Germans but the fringe freaks are with Angela Merkel and her idiotic climate policies are.

Education is the key. To so many people, nuclear power is implicitly diabolical. My mother-in-law could not be disabused of the notion that a microwave oven used nuclear radiation, would make her food radioactive and would give her cancer.
Hahaha and you belief that plant food is cooking the planet is not much different from what your mother in law believes.

I have to disagree. Her belief was based on ignorance and unsupportable. My belief is based on solid physics and is supported by thousands of published studies and the opinions of almost every scientist in the field world wide.

A Big/significant Move.
GAME CHANGER.
Doesn't mean they won't be using NatGas though.

Germany to close all 84 of its coal-fired power plants, will rely primarily on renewable energy
By ERIK KIRSCHBAUM
JAN 26, 2019 - LA Times
Germany to close all 84 of its coal-fired power plants, will rely primarily on renewable energy

Germany, one of the world’s biggest consumers of coal, will shut down all 84 of its coal-fired power plants over the next 19 years to meet its international commitments in the fight against climate change, a government commission said Saturday.

The announcement marked a significant shift for Europe’s largest country — a nation that had long been a leader on cutting CO2 emissions before turning into a laggard in recent years and badly missing its reduction targets. Coal plants account for 40% of Germany’s electricity, itself a reduction from recent years when coal dominated power production.

“This is an historic accomplishment,” said Ronald Pofalla, chairman of the 28-member govt commission, at a news conference in Berlin following a marathon 21-hour negotiating session that concluded at 6 a.m. Saturday. The breakthrough ended seven months of wrangling...
[.....]​

up TROLL SkookersASS, people DO care.
`

I feel sorry for all of the old people who are going to freeze to death because of this idiocy.

What do you think they're going to do? Just dynamite the plant and watch half the Landkreis go dark? They already have large portions of their grid powered by PV and wind and I haven't heard of any waves of death sweeping the German elderly.

What do you think they're going to do? Just dynamite the plant and watch half the Landkreis go dark? They already have large portions of their grid powered by PV and wind and I haven't heard of any waves of death sweeping the German elderly.
They are not so much threatened by power outages c
Total bullshit!! The grid is relying on coal and hydro while the solar and wind is mostly expensive window dressing that can`t produce power on demand. The elderly in Germany are struggling like never before. How do I know that? Because I am in constant contact with my ex class mates. Most of them live in my district where most properties are at the high end but they do know how the average pension elderly have to struggle to keep up paying for their electric and transportation expenses. The last time people in Germany had to go dumpster diving was around 1945 to 1946. Now its a common sight again to see elderly people raiding recycling bins in order to make ends meet. As if "Der Spiegel", the BBC or any of the other lying bastards would report on it for you to see or for me to post. That won`t happen just like it never did in the Soviet sector where they arrested and beat you if you took pictures like that. This is where America is heading as long as people like you elect the likes of Ocasio Cortes and mob + attack anyone who does not agree with your agenda

I have to disagree. Her belief was based on ignorance and unsupportable. My belief is based on solid physics and is supported by thousands of published studies and the opinions of almost every scientist in the field world wide.
There is your mistake. You conflate "solid physics" with the OPINIONS of so called scientists in a field that`s not really a science. As if the crap M.Mann published which is the under pinning of all the rest of this ridiculous crap has anything to do with science.

Forum List

Back