General Strike, a very real possibility

what civil service protections?...

Perspective | Federal employee civil service protections outdated? The experts speak.

At the State level the most famous examples are the NYCBOE "rubber rooms" where teachers accused of various naughty things sit for months or years waiting for a hearing.

What does that have to do with the topic?

He asked "what civil service protections"

Federal government employees are not civil service. Neither are teachers. I did both over the past 21 years. Have a nice day!

Yes, they are civil service, unless in an appointed political position.
that ended around 1984.....

Perspective | Federal employee civil service protections outdated? The experts speak.

At the State level the most famous examples are the NYCBOE "rubber rooms" where teachers accused of various naughty things sit for months or years waiting for a hearing.

Federal government employees are not civil service. Neither are teachers. I did both over the past 21 years. Have a nice day!

The name has changed, the role is still the same. and the issues with their political clout, especially at the City/County/State level is still the same.

The name has changed, the role is still the same. and the issues with their political clout, especially at the City/County/State level is still the same.

Nope. There is no political clout except for the liberal infestation of government agencies.

Nope. There is no political clout except for the liberal infestation of government agencies.

And that clout is re-enforced by government employee unions.

My wife works for the federal government. If she is not in the civil service, might I ask how you would classify her?

Mark

I think you should ask her. I think you will be surprised at her answer.

Go to usajobs.gov and look at any federal position listed. The words "civil service" do not appear anywhere. The term "civil service" is simply an anachronism. What you remember from the days of the civil service exams has gone by the wayside decades ago.

They are indeed civil servants. Name changes don't mean a thing. A sanitary engineer is still a garbageman.

Mark

It is the union that is suing the government over the shutdown. That is most certainly political clout.

Mark

Civil service protection, or Unions, not both.

The world begs to differ with you. This is from wiki which i abhor, but for once it is accurate.

United States federal civil service

Remarks by FDR in 1944 at Union Station, thanking government workers for helping win the war
The United States federal civil service is the civilian workforce (i.e., non-elected and non-military, public sector employees) of the United States federal government's departments and agencies. The federal civil service was established in 1871 (5 U.S.C. § 2101).[1] U.S. state and local government entities often have comparable civil service systems that are modeled on the national system, in varying degrees.

According to the Office of Personnel Management, as of December 2011, there were approximately 2.79 million civil servants employed by the U.S. government.[2][3][4] This includes employees in the departments and agencies run by any of the three branches of government (the executive branch, legislative branch, and judicial branch), such as over 600,000 employees in the U.S. Postal Service.

United States federal civil service - Wikipedia

i think it may depend on what is being talked about.....i was under civil service retirement.....in i believe 1984 anyone hired after that was now under Social Security....i was still considered Civil Service all the way to the end....so it may depend on what is being talked about....my Union the N.A.L.C. on their site still calls the exam a civil service exam,but it has a number designation 473 for the exam....before they started giving each agency their own exam they were all called civil service exams...now each agency has their own exams...

They ought to be shutting down airports before somebody gets killed.

Even before the government shutdown Donaldson says moral was low.

"We're at a 30-year low in staffing we've already been working overtime, 6 days a week for years on end,” said Donaldson. “It's extremely frustrating! We don't take sides; we're interested in seeing the government reopen.”
DFW air traffic controller Terry Donaldson
Shutdown Fallout: Air traffic controllers going to work without guarantee of payment

My wife works for the federal government. If she is not in the civil service, might I ask how you would classify her?

Mark

I think you should ask her. I think you will be surprised at her answer.

Go to usajobs.gov and look at any federal position listed. The words "civil service" do not appear anywhere. The term "civil service" is simply an anachronism. What you remember from the days of the civil service exams has gone by the wayside decades ago.

They are indeed civil servants. Name changes don't mean a thing. A sanitary engineer is still a garbageman.

Mark

I was a teacher for the Department of Defense. The words "civil service" were never mentioned. The words are out of current usage and have been for a while.

The world begs to differ with you. This is from wiki which i abhor, but for once it is accurate.

United States federal civil service

Remarks by FDR in 1944 at Union Station, thanking government workers for helping win the war
The United States federal civil service is the civilian workforce (i.e., non-elected and non-military, public sector employees) of the United States federal government's departments and agencies. The federal civil service was established in 1871 (5 U.S.C. § 2101).[1] U.S. state and local government entities often have comparable civil service systems that are modeled on the national system, in varying degrees.

According to the Office of Personnel Management, as of December 2011, there were approximately 2.79 million civil servants employed by the U.S. government.[2][3][4] This includes employees in the departments and agencies run by any of the three branches of government (the executive branch, legislative branch, and judicial branch), such as over 600,000 employees in the U.S. Postal Service.

United States federal civil service - Wikipedia

Your quotes are just a little outdated also. I have worked with and for the United States government off and on since 1978 and not once have the words civil service been used to describe anyone or anything except the old system.

Forum List

Back