Gas vs Hybrid vs Electric Cars

TroglocratsRdumb

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2017
An all electric car has about a 200 to 250 mile driving range dependent upon the model
A gas car has about a 300 to 400 mile driving range dependent upon the model
A hybrid car has about a 600 mile driving range dependent upon the model.
And, unlike an electric car the Hybrid can be refueled at a gas station in about 5 minutes.
An all electric car can leave you stranded on the side of the road, and it takes about 8 hours to recharge.
A hybrid car runs on the battery at low speeds and kicks in the gas engine at highway speeds.
The hybrid car has many advantages.
A hybrid car can be recharged overnight with a common 110VAC outlet.
If you are just using the car for low speed local commuting it would run on the battery most of the time.
The hydrid car is a better choice than an all electric car.

Hybrid cars are great while still covered under a warranty.
But if your hybrid breaks down after it's out of warranty.
Be ready to hand over some big bucks. $$$
Repairs are very expensive and you better hope the battery doesn't need replaced.
Most independent auto repair shops won't touch a hybrid.
So you'll have to take it a dealer, and you know those places have sky high hourly repair rates and prices on parts.

Hybrid cars are great while still covered under a warranty.
But if your hybrid breaks down after it's out of warranty.
Be ready to hand over some big bucks. $$$
Repairs are very expensive and you better hope the battery doesn't need replaced.
Most independent auto repair shops won't touch a hybrid.
So you'll have to take it a dealer, and you know those places have sky high hourly repair rates and prices on parts.
yep
I just think that the hybrid cars are a better choice over the all electric cars.
The all electric cars are bad idea because of the poor driving range and for other reasons like you say.
The government mandate for all electric cars will be a disaster.

That's way too true, it's pain in the * to fix a hybrid, and people in general have way less experience with those
It takes specialized training and tools to repair a hybrid car. Which is something most independent auto shops won't invest in due to the cost.
Hybrid and EV cars aren't something the untrained person should try and repair because their high voltage systems and batteries have the potential to seriously hurt and even kill someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

An all electric car has about a 200 to 250 mile driving range dependent upon the model
A gas car has about a 300 to 400 mile driving range dependent upon the model
A hybrid car has about a 600 mile driving range dependent upon the model.
And, unlike an electric car the Hybrid can be refueled at a gas station in about 5 minutes.
An all electric car can leave you stranded on the side of the road, and it takes about 8 hours to recharge.
A hybrid car runs on the battery at low speeds and kicks in the gas engine at highway speeds.
The hybrid car has many advantages.
A hybrid car can be recharged overnight with a common 110VAC outlet.
If you are just using the car for low speed local commuting it would run on the battery most of the time.
The hydrid car is a better choice than an all electric car.

Let’s calculate it out.

Price of gas powered car + cost of gas over 10 years

Price of hybrid car + cost of gas over 10 years

Price of electric car + 0 for gas over 10 years

Some people formally calculate this but most can kinda eyeball the equation and know where it leads. I’m going to choose the gas powered car just because they are easier to find thus lower priced. Also there is a predictability factor. Cars made in the late 90s or after have a pretty good reputation for lasting 15-25 years. There isn’t enough data yet to determine the lifespan of hybrids or electric cars. It’s kind of a no brainer for me but I am always open to a superior mathematical calculation.

I’m not aware of this electric car mandate. It sounds like hyperactive right wing goolash.
it's been in the news for a long time

17 states weigh adopting California's electric car mandate

Sep 03, 2022 · MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Seventeen states with vehicle emission standards tied to rules established in California face weighty decisions on whether to follow that state’s strictest …

it's been in the news for a long time

17 states weigh adopting California's electric car mandate

Sep 03, 2022 · MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Seventeen states with vehicle emission standards tied to rules established in California face weighty decisions on whether to follow that state’s strictest …

Oh. So it hasn’t happened ? My bad. It’s hyperactive left wing goolash.

Forum List

Back