EVs significantly less reliable than gas-engine cars, Consumer Reports finds

Ordinary Guy

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2021

Study finds EVs have nearly 80% more problems than gas vehicles, and plug-in hybrids are even worse​

Electric vehicles are much less reliable on average than those with traditional internal combustion engines, according to new data from Consumer Reports.

The magazine's annual auto reliability brand rankings released Wednesday found consumers reported 79% more problems with EVs than gas-powered cars, trucks and SUVs from the 2000 to 2023 model years studied, and 146% more problems with plug-in hybrids.

However, that does not necessarily mean ICE vehicles are still "old faithful." CR found hybrid vehicles that do not require charging have 26% fewer problems than gas vehicles.

IN other words, stay the hell away from EVs! reliability and lack of infrastructure to support them make them losers-OG

I've always maintained that Hybrids are the way to go.....Not so much from a "save the planet" perspective but from a practical one.

By prioritizing hybrid vehicles, Toyota believes it can produce far more cars using the same amount of scarce resources. Specifically, the automaker estimates for every EV it could produce, it could manufacture 90 hybrid vehicles, resulting in a more significant reduction in emissions in the aggregate.

Study finds EVs have nearly 80% more problems than gas vehicles, and plug-in hybrids are even worse​

Electric vehicles are much less reliable on average than those with traditional internal combustion engines, according to new data from Consumer Reports.

The magazine's annual auto reliability brand rankings released Wednesday found consumers reported 79% more problems with EVs than gas-powered cars, trucks and SUVs from the 2000 to 2023 model years studied, and 146% more problems with plug-in hybrids.

However, that does not necessarily mean ICE vehicles are still "old faithful." CR found hybrid vehicles that do not require charging have 26% fewer problems than gas vehicles.

IN other words, stay the hell away from EVs! reliability and lack of infrastructure to support them make them losers-OG
What, if anything, did they say as to why plug-in hybrids should be so much less reliable than standard hybrids? I'd look this up myself but I lack a subscription to CR.

I've always maintained that Hybrids are the way to go.....Not so much from a "save the planet" perspective but from a practical one.

By prioritizing hybrid vehicles, Toyota believes it can produce far more cars using the same amount of scarce resources. Specifically, the automaker estimates for every EV it could produce, it could manufacture 90 hybrid vehicles, resulting in a more significant reduction in emissions in the aggregate.
Imagine a hybrid with a hydrogen burning ICE and solid state batteries. You could save the planet and then tow it down to the next KOA.

the people I know with Toyota Hybrid Tundras are seeing more issues than the non hybrid, same with Ford. I owned a Hybrid Ram (2019), it was getting one to two miles less per gallon than than the non hybrid. I traded for non hybrid ford and saw my mileage go from 14-15 to 20-22 with the twin turbo ecoboost and didn't give up HP or Tow Rating

Imagine a hybrid with a hydrogen burning ICE and solid state batteries. You could save the planet and then tow it down to the next KOA.
There is a youtube video wherein a solar panel without a battery is moving the human on a level surface at ~ 8mph. This should be sufficient incentive for higher IQs to develop.

the people I know with Toyota Hybrid Tundras are seeing more issues than the non hybrid, same with Ford. I owned a Hybrid Ram (2019), it was getting one to two miles less per gallon than than the non hybrid. I traded for non hybrid ford and saw my mileage go from 14-15 to 20-22 with the twin turbo ecoboost and didn't give up HP or Tow Rating
I suspect that CR has a larger sample than the one you're working with.

I have been saying for a long time that this L-I technology is shitty for vehicles.

A bit disappointed in your linked article. Fox News. The actual topic was Biden.

Not only are Lithium-Ion battery vehicles significantly less reliable than Hybrids or ICE but they are a pain in the ass to charge, a costly repair in a fender bender, expensive, limited mileage, a fire hazard but they are an Environmental disaster to produce and dispose of.

No wonder nobody is buying them nowadays but a few holdover confused Environmental Wackos that don't understand how much of an environmental disaster they are to produce.

There are many types of hybrid vehicles....

There's the ones that produce/use hydrogen and then there's others that produce electricity out of hydrocarbon fuels (everything from JP8 to Ethanol)

The second type is what GM was planning on moving forward with....however....the world supplies of platinum are insufficient for the technology to be permanently viable. They did invent an alternative fuel conversion cell using iron ion but the things wear out too quickly and are 2x the size of the platinum ones. (And the platinum ones wear out too due to fuel contamination)

If they can actually create a fuel cell that doesn't degrade and provides enough power per pound to be truly viable....the world will instantly gravitate towards it.

cropped1458432730.jpg

An EV ought to be more reliable than a real car.

A typical electric motor has just one moving part, compared to a hundred or more moving parts in a typical internal combustion engine. And because it is electrically-reversible, and has a wider power band, it ought to not need nearly as complex a transmission, if it needs one at all. This should translate to much less mechanical complexity and much less to go wrong with it.

I wonder how it is that EVs are proving to be less reliable than real cars.

Hybrids, on the other hand, I would expect to be considerably less reliable. You've got all the mechanical complexity of an internal combustion engine, on top of that of an electric drivetrain, and an even greater degree of complexity in a system to manage the two different sources of mechanical power. More complexity than the sum of a pure electric vehicle, plus that of a real car. More complexity==more to go wrong.

An EV ought to be more reliable than a real car.

A typical electric motor has just one moving part, compared to a hundred or more moving parts in a typical internal combustion engine. And because it is electrically-reversible, and has a wider power band, it ought to not need nearly as complex a transmission, if it needs one at all. This should translate to much less mechanical complexity and much less to go wrong with it.

I wonder how it is that EVs are proving to be less reliable than real cars.

Hybrids, on the other hand, I would expect to be considerably less reliable. You've got all the mechanical complexity of an internal combustion engine, on top of that of an electric drivetrain, and an even greater degree of complexity in a system to manage the two different sources of mechanical power. More complexity than the sum of a pure electric vehicle, plus that of a real car. More complexity==more to go wrong.
Still curious as to why the electro-freaks haven't created the car that has a small cc ICE engine running a large electric motor, a-la diesel electric locomotives.

Can you yet drive a hydrogen-fueled vehicle from Sacramento to Los Angeles?

I had occasion to wonder about that, sometime within the past few months, There was mention of Toyota's Mirai, with a range of about 300 to 400 miles.

There are one or two hydrogen-fueling stations in and around Sacramento. Apparently a bunch of them in and around Than Fwanthithco. But once you go south from the Bay Area, you'll run out of fuel long before you reach the next station.

Can you yet drive a hydrogen-fueled vehicle from Sacramento to Los Angeles?

I had occasion to wonder about that, sometime within the past few months, There was mention of Toyota's Mirai, with a range of about 300 to 400 miles.

There are one or two hydrogen-fueling stations in and around Sacramento. Apparently a bunch of them in and around Than Fwanthithco. But once you go south from the Bay Area, you'll run out of fuel long before you reach the next station.
There's still no way to isolate hydrogen, that isn't a net energy loss.

Might as well imagine the monkeys flying out your butt.

Forum List

Back