Game of Thrones (HBO)

i think the little dude is kinda sexy....something about his feet....lol

In the books he's not just a dwarf but quite ugly as well. I'm not sure if having a relatively good looking actor detracts from his character.

I don't think so. I think they picked the perfect actor for the Tyrion. He is playing it extremely well. He is already a dwarf, why the need to make he hideously ugly?

But then again I haven't read the book! :eek:

I agree that the actor has done a fine job with the part. I just think Tyrion's ugliness, on top of the dwarfism, were important parts of his character. They heavily influenced how he grew up, how he acted, and how people reacted to him.

It's not a big point, just something that has occurred to me while watching the show.

i like the dragons...you must think the fire was hot enough to hatch the dragons.....doesnt detract from the story at all for me

I respect your indulgence. But from my (atheistic) point of view, the question is why do they resort to such redundant foolishness?

The craftsmanship and resources expended in putting that series together could do perfecly fine without the occasional introduction of utter nonsense. For example; I truly love the movie, Dances With Wolves, which I know is pure fantasy. It is fantasy which does not absolutely exclude the possibility of being real and that vague possibility is what keeps the story grounded. But what if they introduced a vampire, a flying horse or a zombie into the tale?

What I'm saying is the Thrones series didn't need to venture so far from even the most tenuous reality to create a first class production because they certainly have all the necessary components; story, cast, budget and technical talent.

Your complaint would have merit if this were "True Blood" or "24". However, this show is from a series of books started more than a decade ago. To become a HUGE budget HBO series with few alterations, the overall arc MUST have been credible and captivating. Martin didn't just "throw in" a dragon and a zombie, they are central themes to the entire complex story line which contains very real humans and fantastical moments of old world magic that seems to have waned in the dominant Westeros. Remember the line "Winter is Coming" and the theme of "Fire and Ice", they are used for a reason. If not, chuck this show and rent "Rome"...HBO's best, with many similar themes, likable heroes, but no fantasy.

Best scene from Season 1....

original.gif

Yes. That is very satisfying. Thanks for reminding me because I'd forgotten why I have such ambivalent feelings toward that dwarf.

My favorite part of this series was that most of the dialouge from the show was pulled word from word from the book. Reading book 2 now and am curious to see how all this plays out on screen. Great story, I will say the show is great, but the book is so much more infused with information.

My favorite part of this series was that most of the dialouge from the show was pulled word from word from the book. Reading book 2 now and am curious to see how all this plays out on screen. Great story, I will say the show is great, but the book is so much more infused with information.

The Book is always better..................

But so far they've done extremely well on screen....

Your complaint would have merit if this were "True Blood" or "24". However, this show is from a series of books started more than a decade ago. To become a HUGE budget HBO series with few alterations, the overall arc MUST have been credible and captivating. Martin didn't just "throw in" a dragon and a zombie, they are central themes to the entire complex story line which contains very real humans and fantastical moments of old world magic that seems to have waned in the dominant Westeros. Remember the line "Winter is Coming" and the theme of "Fire and Ice", they are used for a reason. If not, chuck this show and rent "Rome"...HBO's best, with many similar themes, likable heroes, but no fantasy.
I think you're absolutely right and my assessment has been out of line. So I'll beg for forgiveness on the basis of having tuned in to Game of Thrones somewhere in the middle of the series with no advance awareness of its fantasy nature. I recall my first impression was that of a first class production, something along the lines of Robin Hood, and I tried to get a fix on what was happening. It was like feeling my way around in the dark when everything in the room kept moving and changing form. I would begin to understand something and right in the middle of it something totally unrelated would happen -- which was constantly frustrating.

But HBO just ran the complete Season One series back-to-back as a prelude to Season Two, which begins on April 1.

Because of the overall cinematic quality of the confusing episodes I watched, and because of the negative responses to my comments in this thread, I was determined to understand what this series is about. So I DVRed the whole of Season One and watched the entire thing over the weekend and I must say it was thoroughly enjoyable, fantasy aspects and all. Now I look forward to Season Two, hoping to see that skinny, blond-haired, sociopathic sonofabitch king made to suffer.

I should add that my opinion of the dwarf has changed. He's not a bad little guy. He should end up in charge of the brothel presently owned by that treacherous Finger character (when Finger is given to the pigs).

P.S. You're right about Rome. That was a spectacular series and I hope they run it again. I also thought Deadwood was classically excellent. And I'm looking forward to Season Two of Boardwalk Empire.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back