GA Supreme Court Launches An Outrageous Attack Against Police

Biff_Poindexter

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2018
USA

"Christopher Glenn insisted he was doing nothing wrong. So when Athens-Clarke County police officers handcuffed him and took him to a patrol car, he was having none of it. Kicking and flailing, he strongly resisted arrest. At one point, Glenn lunged forward, smacking a sergeant’s face with his forehead. When officers finally got Glenn into the cruiser, he kicked at the door so violently he damaged its hinges.

As it turned out, the officers had no probable cause to arrest Glenn for loitering and prowling outside Oglethorpe Elementary School in Athens -- Glenn’s appeal of the incident led to a landmark Georgia Supreme Court ruling to find that not only was Glenn within his rights to use force to resist the unlawful arrest, he could also damage government property while doing so."

I was always under the impression that Georgia was for the most part; a sane conservative state, so how can their Supreme Court essentially be the most radically leftist communist court in the whole country?? Do they honestly think it is a good idea to tell citizens they can resist unlawful arrests? If the police are arresting you; it is automatically lawful --- a mere citizen doesn't get to tell law enforcement what is or isn't lawful.

To make matters worse, this Glenn guy is basically a pedophile....he was creeping about and prowling around an elementary school; someone called 911...police arrived at the scene and it was then Glenn should have complied with police commands....instead he resisted arrest and violently fought with the police. The police obviously had probable cause to detain Glenn because he was loitering outside a school; possibly there to kidnap children. Now because of this ruling; the Supreme Court is basically siding with the criminal instead of the police.

This has long been the law.

“The opinion breathed new and strong life into what has been on the books for ages,”
For who?

_00-rea-008 (13).jpg

Astonishing.
I have to wonder if Mr Glenn is qualified to judge his own innocence. What if he was drunk or under the influence of narcotics ?
Let the Police decide.
Madness.

"Christopher Glenn insisted he was doing nothing wrong. So when Athens-Clarke County police officers handcuffed him and took him to a patrol car, he was having none of it. Kicking and flailing, he strongly resisted arrest. At one point, Glenn lunged forward, smacking a sergeant’s face with his forehead. When officers finally got Glenn into the cruiser, he kicked at the door so violently he damaged its hinges.

As it turned out, the officers had no probable cause to arrest Glenn for loitering and prowling outside Oglethorpe Elementary School in Athens -- Glenn’s appeal of the incident led to a landmark Georgia Supreme Court ruling to find that not only was Glenn within his rights to use force to resist the unlawful arrest, he could also damage government property while doing so."

I was always under the impression that Georgia was for the most part; a sane conservative state, so how can their Supreme Court essentially be the most radically leftist communist court in the whole country?? Do they honestly think it is a good idea to tell citizens they can resist unlawful arrests? If the police are arresting you; it is automatically lawful --- a mere citizen doesn't get to tell law enforcement what is or isn't lawful.

To make matters worse, this Glenn guy is basically a pedophile....he was creeping about and prowling around an elementary school; someone called 911...police arrived at the scene and it was then Glenn should have complied with police commands....instead he resisted arrest and violently fought with the police. The police obviously had probable cause to detain Glenn because he was loitering outside a school; possibly there to kidnap children. Now because of this ruling; the Supreme Court is basically siding with the criminal instead of the police.
I actually see a need for this. For example Briana Taylor. If someone broke into my house in the middle of the night I would absolutely zero reason to believe it was the police. The no knock warrants do more harm than good. Remember taylor had no contraband in her apartment. I do not blame the police on site, they were following orders and once shot at will respond. The judges and higher ups choosing to make a middle of the night raid on a non criminal's house are to blame. But if the police are acting unlawfully or even mistaken about your identity there is a place for this law. I do not think I should be able to punch a cop who wants to detain me for some reasonable reason even when I've done nothing wrong. I do however fear this might increase resisting among real criminals is which how they get shot.

These days, a good way to get shot. You might be right to resist in some nebulous situation, but you could easily be dead right.

Astonishing.
I have to wonder if Mr Glenn is qualified to judge his own innocence. What if he was drunk or under the influence of narcotics ?
Let the Police decide.
Madness.
Seems he was more qualified than the cops in this case, even though it is the judgment of the court that matters.

Astonishing.
Let the Police decide.
Madness.

If he were drunk or stoned, they would have had probable cause to arrest him. Based on the article he was told he was being arrested based on nothing but an anonymous tip he was loitering without the officers actually having conducted any investigation. Anyway this was based on English common law as there is no state law that prohibited his conduct.

Welcome to 5 decades ago.

Where have you been?

This is nowhere CLOSE to being advisable for most people. You must prove that you were in the right and that the police were making an unlawful arrest, which carries with it PLENTY of police discretion you must overcome.

Astonishing.
Let the Police decide.
Madness.

If he were drunk or stoned, they would have had probable cause to arrest him. Based on the article he was told he was being arrested based on nothing but an anonymous tip he was loitering without the officers actually having conducted any investigation. Anyway this was based on English common law as there is no state law that prohibited his conduct.
I dont think there is any law about loitering. You can go wherever you like on public land. Of course if he was a nonce he would be forbidden for hanging round a school. Then he would be arrested.

Where have you been?

This is nowhere CLOSE to being advisable for most people. You must prove that you were in the right and that the police were making an unlawful arrest, which carries with it PLENTY of police discretion you must overcome.

Which is exactly what this person did.

Astonishing.
Let the Police decide.
Madness.

The 911 caller said he was creeping around a school prowling for children....therefore the police had probable cause to detain him......

It would be like a 911 caller calling the police on a guy for mowing the lawn in a suspicious manner or calling the police on a woman for swimming at a public pool in a threatening way.......the police must detain those people and investigate

Where have you been?

He did, but it is not advisable if you have a choice in the matter. It's better to not get into a fight with police.

Astonishing.
Let the Police decide.
Madness.

The 911 caller said he was creeping around a school prowling for children....therefore the police had probable cause to detain him......

It would be like a 911 caller calling the police on a guy for mowing the lawn in a suspicious manner or calling the police on a woman for swimming at a public pool in a threatening way.......the police must detain those people and investigate

The way you post can be used in certain occasions but not if you lie. I understand that those you mock often lie as you did but don't stoop to their level.

Where have you been?

He did, but it is not advisable if you have a choice in the matter. It's better to not get into a fight with police.

We need to end the reasons many become confrontational. The police need it drilled into the heads daily about what they can and can not do. They can not detain someone walking home through an alley.

Astonishing.
Let the Police decide.
Madness.

No they did not have probable cause to arrest him. They still had to do their due diligence and they did not. You can proclaim he was looking for kids but the article indicates no such thing and that he said he was walking home.

Astonishing.
Let the Police decide.
Madness.

The way you post can be used in certain occasions but not if you lie. I understand that those you mock often lie as you did but don't stoop to their level.
Except......there is no lie........

The caller said he was creeping around an elementary school.....obviously it wasn't because they thought he was there to help kids with homework......which is why he was initially charged with loitering and prowling.....

Just like 911 callers called the police on a 12 yr old boy for mowing the grass -- thankfully they didn't claim he had a gun or he would had been killed...

Just like 911 callers called the police on a woman and her child for swimming at their OWN NEIGHBORHOOD pool....thankfully the caller didn't say they were armed either.....

This guy was lucky he was able to resist arrest and live to tell about it

Astonishing.
Let the Police decide.
Madness.

The caller said he was creeping around an elementary school.....obviously it wasn't because they thought he was there to help kids with homework......which is why he was initially charged with loitering and prowling.....

Just like 911 callers called the police on a 12 yr old boy for mowing the grass -- thankfully they didn't claim he had a gun or he would had been killed...

Just like 911 callers called the police on a woman and her child for swimming at their OWN NEIGHBORHOOD pool....thankfully the caller didn't say they were armed either.....

The article clearly states that they had no probable cause to arrest him. You are inventing a premise that they did.

Astonishing.
Let the Police decide.
Madness.

Is loitering and prowling an actual offence ? Unless you had a record the most you should get is a "good morning and how are you today". The US sounds a bit too authoritarian for my tastes. Maybe you do need guns ?

Where have you been?

We need to end the reasons many become confrontational. The police need it drilled into the heads daily about what they can and can not do. They can not detain someone walking home through an alley.
You're right that they can't detain someone for just walking down the alley.

But, as in the police video on the other thread, if they get a report of a person acting "suspicious" they have a duty to stop the person in the alley and ask questions. The SCOTUS has already deemed such an encounter lawful and NOT a detention.

There is no reason to make the job of police harder by acting suspicious when they interact with you. That is escalating behavior.

The cops here would have left this guy alone had he simply walked away when they asked him to or answered some questions to help in their investigation of Busy Body's report.

Forum List

Back