From a recent interview with the designer of the AR-15....

nat4900

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2015
I'm sure that this guy will now be maligned by the right wingers who seem to have an eternal and unrequited LOVE for their lethal weapons.

His name is Jim Sullivan, and he was a key designer of the AR-15 back in 1957, almost 60 years ago. Here are excerpts for a recent interview (the interviewer was someone named David Scott):

Jim sSullivan, who also designed the Ruger Mini-14 (a scaled down .223 Remington sporting version of the military M-14), goes on to say he never envisioned the rifle having any civilians applications:

DAVID SCOTT: “Did you ever imagine—“

JIM SULLIVAN: “No. Never even considered that—it had any civilian application.”

DAVID SCOTT: “Concern you at all?”

JIM SULLIVAN: “Of course, everybody gets concerned when there’s one of these school issues where children are killed by an AR-15. I mean, that’s sickening. But that was never the intended purpose. Civilian sales was never the intended purpose.

Jim goes onto say that a fully automatic M16 is not more lethal than a semi-automatic AR-15

DAVID SCOTT: “The lethality of the AR-15, is that reduced in the civilian semi-automatic mode?”

JIM SULLIVAN: “No.”

DAVID SCOTT: “It’s not?”

JIM SULLIVAN: “Same effectiveness. I mean, in fact, the gun is functioning exactly the way the military model is in semi-automatic.

Breaking: Jim Sullivan, AR-15 Designer, Makes Some Controversial Statements on HBO Tonight - The Firearm Blog

Soooo....what's your point???

Know why it had no civilian use??? 2 reasons.

Civilians long range use is for hunting deer. With a bullet that can stop a deer. AR15 is a tiny .223 bullet. Sucks for hunting deer. .308 is far better. Sucks for birds. Birdshot is better.

Civilian close range/self defense use is for stopping a human attacker. And while a .223 round can work...a .45 or .40 or .357 magnum or a 12 Guage shotgun is FAR FAR better.

So...yeah...it had no civilian use...not because it was such an awesome badass weapon...but because for the reasons a civilian would use a gun....other choices are superior.

• Banned
Soooo....what's your point???

Know why it had no civilian use??? 2 reasons.

Civilians long range use is for hunting deer. With a bullet that can stop a deer. AR15 is a tiny .223 bullet. Sucks for hunting deer. .308 is far better. Sucks for birds. Birdshot is better.

Civilian close range/self defense use is for stopping a human attacker. And while a .223 round can work...a .45 or .40 or .357 magnum or a 12 Guage shotgun is FAR FAR better.

So...yeah...it had no civilian use...not because it was such an awesome badass weapon...but because for the reasons a civilian would use a gun....other choices are superior.

Read the fucking interview without your moronic "spin" to it...What you "concluded' is NOT what Jim Sullivan actually stated.......Move on to other threads where you can flaunt your vast gun knowledge.....Because what this world needs is more GUN MANIACS .....like you.

• Banned
So? Why is Omar Mateen representative of all AR-15 users when the left keeps insisting his religion is not indicative of all Muslims?

Stupid contribution...as always..

First of all who the heck stated that Mateen is representative of ALL AR-15 gun nuts?

Second, beside this latest carnage, which weapon was used in:

San Bernardino
Sandy Hook
Aurora

So? Why is Omar Mateen representative of all AR-15 users when the left keeps insisting his religion is not indicative of all Muslims?

Stupid is as stupid does, Forrest. Mateen didn't even use an AR-15.

First of all who the heck stated that Mateen is representative of ALL AR-15 gun nuts?

You did since you think nobody else should have one because of what he did.

Last edited:

San Bernardino
Sandy Hook
Aurora

A Bushmaster was used in Sandy Hook.

You do know that the Mateen did not use an AR-15, right?

Or didn't you..........

I'm sure that this guy will now be maligned by the right wingers who seem to have an eternal and unrequited LOVE for their lethal weapons.

His name is Jim Sullivan, and he was a key designer of the AR-15 back in 1957, almost 60 years ago. Here are excerpts for a recent interview (the interviewer was someone named David Scott):

Jim sSullivan, who also designed the Ruger Mini-14 (a scaled down .223 Remington sporting version of the military M-14), goes on to say he never envisioned the rifle having any civilians applications:

JIM SULLIVAN: “Of course, everybody gets concerned when there’s one of these school issues where children are killed by an AR-15. I mean, that’s sickening. But that was never the intended purpose. Civilian sales was never the intended purpose.

Jim goes onto say that a fully automatic M16 is not more lethal than a semi-automatic AR-15

DAVID SCOTT: “The lethality of the AR-15, is that reduced in the civilian semi-automatic mode?”

JIM SULLIVAN: “Same effectiveness. I mean, in fact, the gun is functioning exactly the way the military model is in semi-automatic.

Breaking: Jim Sullivan, AR-15 Designer, Makes Some Controversial Statements on HBO Tonight - The Firearm Blog
Nonsense thread and full of crap OP ........ :cool:

"Eugene Morrison Stoner (November 22, 1922 – April 24, 1997) was an American firearms designer who is most associated with the development of the AR-15 rifle that was adopted by the US military as the M16. He is regarded by some historians as one of the most successful firearms designers of the 20th century."

Eugene Stoner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Eugene Morrison Stoner (November 22, 1922 – April 24, 1997) was an American firearms designer who is most associated with the development of the AR-15 rifle that was adopted by the US military as the M16. He is regarded by some historians as one of the most successful firearms designers of the 20th century."

You should read your own link:

At the request of the U.S. military, Stoner's chief assistant, Robert Fremont and Jim Sullivan designed the AR-15

-------------------- so , who cares , old guy has an opinion just like everyone else . The gun is a good gun and it fills the same role of modern day musket that my gggg grandfather used to kill and repel the enemy british redcoats Nat .

Last edited:

The guy in Florida used a "Sig" NOT an AR. NONE of the Sig parts will even interchange with an AR. Learn BEFORE you write or keep looking like an idiot, your choice.

San Bernardino
Sandy Hook
Aurora
------------------------- Hilary , mrobama , jeh Johnson and ALL democrats are all going after the AR15 because they understand its effectiveness in full filling the role that is described for ARMS in the 'second amendment' . Second Amendment is not about hunting or target shooting Nat !!

So not only is Nat full of sh#t, her source is a design credit thief.

So not only is Nat full of sh#t, her source is a design credit thief.
"At the request of the U.S. military, Stoner's chief assistant, Robert Fremont and Jim Sullivan designed the AR-15".

At the request of the U.S. military, Stoner's chief assistant, Robert Fremont and Jim Sullivan designed the AR-15
Why didn't you include the rest of the paragraph?

"At the request of the U.S. military, Stoner's chief assistant, Robert Fremont and Jim Sullivan designed the AR-15 from the basic AR-10 model, scaling it down to fire the small-caliber .223 Remington cartridge, slightly enlarged to meet the minimum Army penetration requirements."

Basically. all Jim Sullivan and Fremont did was scale down Eugene Stoner's AR-10 design down to the smaller caliber AR-15 for the military.

It was Stoner's invention and design......not theirs. ....... :cool:

GPS was also not designed for civilian use. I guess we better uninstall Google Maps from every computer!

Why didn't you include the rest of the paragraph?

"At the request of the U.S. military, Stoner's chief assistant, Robert Fremont and Jim Sullivan designed the AR-15 from the basic AR-10 model, scaling it down to fire the small-caliber .223 Remington cartridge, slightly enlarged to meet the minimum Army penetration requirements."

Basically. all Jim Sullivan and Fremont did was scale down Eugene Stoner's AR-10 design down to the smaller caliber AR-15 for the military.

It was Stoner's invention and design......not theirs. ....... :cool:
Nope. They designed the AR-15.

Forum List

Back