21 to buy an AR? The ignorance of Democrats and the anti-gun left.

M14 Shooter

The Light of Truth
Sep 26, 2007
Bridge, USS Enterprise
The House passed a wide-ranging gun control bill Wednesday in response to recent mass shootings in Buffalo, New York, and Uvalde, Texas, that would raise the age limit for purchasing a semi-automatic rifle and prohibit the sale of ammunition magazines with a capacity of more than 15 rounds.

The house passed a bill that raises the age to buy semi-automatic rifles to 21.
It has no chance in the Senate, but if it does pass, let's consider this for a moment:

You need to be 21 to buy an AR15.
You only need to be 18 to buy an M16. Or M60. or M2HB Or XM134.

Irony? Ignorance? Idiocy?
You decide.

I guess I'm of the opinion that it's window dressing that will have near zero effect on stopping the school shootings. It's more about patting themselves on the back to show they "did something" even though the something does not address the root causes of what makes these individuals want to commit these horrific acts. Take away the AR-15s and they will learn how to make a bomb and blow up an entire classroom instead. Or just plow into a bunch of kids at recess with their car. Crazy will find a way.

This is an acknowledgment of there being a critical age in young men at which their maturity eclipses their tendency to act out their feeling with violence.

They don't lose their American 'culture' of violence when they turn 21, but they do lose the childlike impulse to act out, in most cases.

In fairness to the pro-gun lobby, the same remedy would most likely save a disproportionat number of deaths and injuries in car accidents.

There's a tossup decision to be made in both cases of guns and cars. Some decision needs to be made on the guns issue quite obviously. nearly 225 mass shootings in America by June has reached a point of unacceptable!

I guess I'm of the opinion that it's window dressing that will have near zero effect on stopping the school shootings. It's more about patting themselves on the back to show they "did something" even though the something does not address the root causes of what makes these individuals want to commit these horrific acts. Take away the AR-15s and they will learn how to make a bomb and blow up an entire classroom instead. Or just plow into a bunch of kids at recess with their car. Crazy will find a way.
Yes, in fact the 'culture' of wars and killing is deeply embedded and so that's what you are actually alluding to but not coming to grips to state it.

Take their guns and they'll use a bomb!
Not really true but illustrative of the real problem!

Pure idiocy. Of all the above, the AR is the least attractive to me. This is all about school shooting, right? So what do all high-school kids have in common? They graduate at the age of 18, so, they could have accomplished as much by simply adding one year and making ARs limited to 19 and beyond.

Ever hear of a 19 year old graduate coming back to shoot up his old high school?

Pure idiocy. Of all the above, the AR is the least attractive to me. This is all about school shooting, right? So what do all high-school kids have in common? They graduate at the age of 18, so, they could have accomplished as much by simply adding one year and making ARs limited to 19 and beyond.

Ever hear of a 19 year old graduate coming back to shoot up his old high school?
Never mind the fact that every school shooting in the US could have been equally perpetrated by someone with a pump-action shotgun.
The Democrats don't give a hoot in hell about saving kids - they want the guns.

So at 18 our govt can draft them, pop a gun in the hands & send them into another foreign meat grinder war to kill for our country but they are too immature to own a gun otherwise?
Why exactly? Because the govt does such a bang up job teaching youngsters? Because you need a drill sergeant in your face to understand proper use of a weapon?

Irony is totally lost on the corrupt morons in DC

Yes, in fact the 'culture' of wars and killing is deeply embedded and so that's what you are actually alluding to but not coming to grips to state it.

Take their guns and they'll use a bomb!
Not really true but illustrative of the real problem!
Your reply is vague, can you be more clear? Are you saying the root cause of the mass shootings is NOT the shooters themselves? What specifically did I state that is incorrect in your opinion?

Your reply is vague, can you be more clear? Are you saying the root cause of the mass shootings is NOT the shooters themselves? What specifically did I state that is incorrect in your opinion?
I've been clear a dozen times but I don't mind repeating it again for you, because I see it as being asked in good faith.

America's gun violence and mass shootings are the result of the culture of continuous wars and killing. That's also Michael Moore's main message. And fwiw, the huge popularity of violent video games is due to the culture of war.

The mass shooters even dress up in their camo costumes and buy themselves the best facsimile of a military weapon they can get their hands on.

I've taken another chance with you. Don't betray that again!

I've been clear a dozen times but I don't mind repeating it again for you, because I see it as being asked in good faith.

America's gun violence and mass shootings are the result of the culture of continuous wars and killing. That's also Michael Moore's main message. And fwiw, the huge popularity of violent video games is due to the culture of war.

The mass shooters even dress up in their camo costumes and buy themselves the best facsimile of a military weapon they can get their hands on.

I've taken another chance with you. Don't betray that again!
I agree with you that there is a glorification of warfare and shooting violence in video games. However I see that as a contributor to an already very disturbed individual. I'm looking for root causes that drive a child to think it's a good idea to empty magazines into defenseless children. You have sunk to a very very dark place to do that. I contend that is due to a dangerous cocktail of a broken home, loneliness/isolation, bullying, years of prescribed narcotics, and possibly years of desensitization due to first person shooter games.

I agree with you that there is a glorification of warfare and shooting violence in video games. However I see that as a contributor to an already very disturbed individual. I'm looking for root causes that drive a child to think it's a good idea to empty magazines into defenseless children. You have sunk to a very very dark place to do that. I contend that is due to a dangerous cocktail of a broken home, loneliness/isolation, bullying, years of prescribed narcotics, and possibly years of desensitization due to first person shooter games.
I don't disagree with the points you've made.
I don't get what you're suggesting is a 'very dark place?

Which comes first, the video games or the culture of war that makes them so popular. I'm suggesting that the law of supply and demand applies.
I'm not adamant, as it's a secondary issue IMO.

I don't disagree with the points you've made.
I don't get what you're suggesting is a 'very dark place?

Which comes first, the video games or the culture of war that makes them so popular. I'm suggesting that the law of supply and demand applies.
I'm not adamant, as it's a secondary issue IMO.
I mean a mental state that some people get to where they are overcome by hopelessness, anger and despair. That occurs over a period of years and is due to a confluence of multiple problems not just one single issue.
As always JMO.

Ban the AR and the more destructive shotgun will become the weapon of choice. This stupidity simply ignores the real problem, depraved assholes who don't care about human life or ineffectual laws.

Ban the AR and the more destructive shotgun will become the weapon of choice. This stupidity simply ignores the real problem, depraved assholes who don't care about human life or ineffectual laws.
You assume the intent is to address the problem.
In reality, it's to place as many limits as possible on the exercise of the right to keep and bear arms by the law abiding.

The house passed a bill that raises the age to buy semi-automatic rifles to 21.
It has no chance in the Senate, but if it does pass, let's consider this for a moment:

You decide.
Those are all Title II fully automatic weapons, which are already heavily regulated to the point that we almost never see them on the streets.

But I think you're probably right in that, at least as long as the filibuster stands, it doesn't have a snowball's chance in the Senate.

We need to harden schools and have armed staff on duty. The Feds can't raise the age to purchase guns unless they raise the age of majority. Otherwise, it is up to each state. Vilifying the AR-15 (because of its appearance) is merely the first part of a scheme to create a banned weapons list that can easily be expanded in the future.

This is an acknowledgment of there being a critical age in young men at which their maturity eclipses their tendency to act out their feeling with violence.

They don't lose their American 'culture' of violence when they turn 21, but they do lose the childlike impulse to act out, in most cases.

In fairness to the pro-gun lobby, the same remedy would most likely save a disproportionat number of deaths and injuries in car accidents.

There's a tossup decision to be made in both cases of guns and cars. Some decision needs to be made on the guns issue quite obviously. nearly 225 mass shootings in America by June has reached a point of unacceptable!

Medically the age for anything should be raised to at least over 25, then, if that is the criterion. /And, there are no longer any excuses to not bring back literacy tests, and adding a civics test, both in English, in order to register to vote.

Forum List

Back