Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
I know some of you watch Duck Dynasty and probably heard that Phil Robertson was suspended by A&E for his opinion on homosexuality. He had the gall to quote 1 Corinthians 6:9 and express himself openly about his opposition to gay marriage. Groups like GLAAD came out in support of the suspension. Don't you find it odd that people like Martin Bashir get a pass for their intolerance toward conservative women, but people like Phil Robertson are being targeted for their beliefs?

Should TV Networks silence religious speech for the political sensibilities of others? As most of you were aware, Chick-Fil-A came under similar scrutiny by gay rights organizations for its views on homosexuality last year. The response from the public was overwhelming, as the restaurant experienced booming profits from the ordeal. Suffice it to say, ratings for the show may experience similar results.

Should Phil Robertson be suspended for his comments in GQ? Or should he be allowed to express himself as he is allowed to by the the First Amendment? My personal opinion here is that no TV network should be allowed to censor a man for expressing his religious beliefs.

There have been many instances of people or businesses being targeted for their religious beliefs, all for being "intolerant." Isn't it strange that you can be allowed to be homosexual, but not a person of faith? The real intolerance here, is of those who cannot accept that others aren't forced to tolerate their way of life or their practices. If you are any freedom loving American; Democrat, Republican or Libertarian, you should be disturbed by this recent turn of events.

Last edited:
Old news, hon. Two threads are already going on about this.

Am I not allowed to make a third? I'm trying to inspire debate here. I'm covering a broad range of issues here that don't necessarily relate to the suspension of Phil Robertson, but cover the issue of religious freedom and expression.

Last edited:
It is a business issue, employer and employee, not a 1st Amendment issue.

That's a fact.

Ever heard of wrongful termination?

I bet A&E will be hearing about it real soon.

I'm thinking in the $100 Million range.

And they WILL lose. Count on it.

Yeah. I've lost jobs opening my big mouth also. No biggie.

Actually, you've never lost your job for stating your religious opinions. Big difference there, mister.

On the job, your employer can fire you for running your mouth.

Off the job?

Big lawsuit coming. REAL big.

Love to be an Attorney and land that one. A first year law student could win that case.

Roll over and spread your legs, A&E. You're about to find out what a butt-fucking is like

Actually, you've never lost your job for stating your religious opinions. Big difference there, mister.

Really!? That's a relief. say when do I get home from the doc on this Friday.

Drop the sarcasm, Moonie. I doubt you have any idea what it's like to be terminated wrongly for having any opinions regarding religion or the acceptance thereof OUTSIDE of the workplace..

I like the way that the Christians treated Joseph Smith for stating his religious views. It cost him his life.

Off the job?

Love to be an Attorney and land that one. A first year law student could win that case.

Roll over and spread your legs, A&E. You're about to find out what a butt-fucking is like

So you think you know this without reading his contract with A&E?

Off the job?

Anything that breaches his right to free speech and religion is unconstitutional.

Old news, hon. Two threads are already going on about this.

Am I not allowed to make a third? I'm trying to inspire debate here. I'm covering a broad range of issues here that don't necessarily relate to the suspension of Phil Robertson, but cover the issue of religious freedom and expression.

Your confusing censoring with freedom of expression and a contractual obligation with a private network.

Off the job?

Anything that breaches his right to free speech and religion is unconstitutional.

Have you read his contract?

Forum List

Back