Free wifi for all?

The federal government wants to create super WiFi networks across the nation, so powerful and broad in reach that consumers could use them to make calls or surf the Internet without paying a cellphone bill every month.

The proposal from the Federal Communications Commission has rattled the $178 billion wireless industry, which has launched a fierce lobbying effort to persuade policymakers to reconsider the idea, analysts say. That has been countered by an equally intense campaign from Google, Microsoft and other tech giants who say a free-for-all WiFi service would spark an explosion of innovations and devices that would benefit most Americans, especially the poor.

Tech, telecom giants take sides as FCC proposes large public WiFi networks - The Washington Post
The fucking government can already access our phones why would I want to make it easier to hack my computer?

I agree with you on this, SP, but they can hack it anyway anytime anywhere they wish.

The fucking government can already access our phones why would I want to make it easier to hack my computer?

They can access your computer any time they want. Not only that, the utility meters send readings back to a mainframe computer every few minutes. This data is stored so the government can access it when ever they want. They know from your water meter records when you flushed your 1.5 gallon toilet. They know from your gas & water meter records when you took a shower, how long you showered & how much hot water you used.

All of your internet searches, email, message-board post read & posted are all recorded. All your travel routs & stops are logged from your phones GPS. They know you & what you are up to better than you know yourself. They can see how much gas your car has in it, what your tire pressure are, how fast you drive, if you run traffic lights, if your car is polluting to much emissions, etc.

Last edited:
And he could block you using various methods, like a vpn. Not to mention that the free wifi could encrypt everything.

It doesn't matter if the router encrypts everything if the user doesn't because everyone on the network would have the same encryption.

By the way, did you notice how I said it wouldn't work on intelligent users, and mentioned you specifically?

^Thanks for stopping by to make a fool of yourself.
I propose standard adoption of WPA2 and a default password of "free". Whenever you wish to connect to complimentary WiFi, you select "Courtyard Marriott" or "Starbucks" like you always have, but you are then prompted for a password.

Just type "free". It's not hard. In fact, operating system vendors could even program your PC to automatically try the password "free" before prompting you for a password on the assumption that you might be selecting a free service.

What is the value of a password if it is a "well-known secret?" WPA2 negotiates unique encryption keys with every computer that connects to it. This means you and I cannot spy on one another's traffic even when sharing access on the same access point. This is not true for WEP, but nearly all 802.11g access points (the most common) support WPA2 and can provide safe, convenient, free internet access.
Dear Starbucks: The skinny on how you can be a security hero | Naked Security

Quoting an article from 2 years ago to prove to me how much you know about security?

Think Your WPA2-encrypted Wireless Network is Secure? Think Again.

How To Crack WPA / WPA2 - SmallNetBuilder

Crack Wpa-2 Encryption Using Fern Wifi Cracker

If you are already on the network just imagine how easy it is to crack the network.

By the way,Firesheep works even in WPA2 networks.

Last edited:
We are not talking about internet forums, we are talking about unencrypted wifi.

Seriously, you are proving me right every time you post.

yes we are...tools like you hang on on internet forums asking simple questions about hacking.

as far as phones go...anyone who keeps a bluetooth or wifi connection open is ignorant...this does not make those who know to close off bluetooth and wifi when not using it, geniuses.

Stop acting like you are smart when preaching teh basics of what people should know and do...like your so-called friends.

That's a hoot. Evidently (according to your own words) you hang with some of the most ignorant people on the planet, and even better,,,,you WOW them with your grasp of the simple. :clap2:

:theave:

Huh?

The most ignorant of my friends is infinitely more knowledgeable than you.

The federal government wants to create super WiFi networks across the nation, so powerful and broad in reach that consumers could use them to make calls or surf the Internet without paying a cellphone bill every month.

The proposal from the Federal Communications Commission has rattled the $178 billion wireless industry, which has launched a fierce lobbying effort to persuade policymakers to reconsider the idea, analysts say. That has been countered by an equally intense campaign from Google, Microsoft and other tech giants who say a free-for-all WiFi service would spark an explosion of innovations and devices that would benefit most Americans, especially the poor.

Tech, telecom giants take sides as FCC proposes large public WiFi networks - The Washington Post

I agree with you on this, SP, but they can hack it anyway anytime anywhere they wish.

Not if I don't connect to the internet.

I have a hard drive that has never been used to go on line on which I keep anything important.

We are not talking about internet forums, we are talking about unencrypted wifi.

Seriously, you are proving me right every time you post.

yes we are...tools like you hang on on internet forums asking simple questions about hacking.

as far as phones go...anyone who keeps a bluetooth or wifi connection open is ignorant...this does not make those who know to close off bluetooth and wifi when not using it, geniuses.

Stop acting like you are smart when preaching teh basics of what people should know and do...like your so-called friends.

That's a hoot. Evidently (according to your own words) you hang with some of the most ignorant people on the planet, and even better,,,,you WOW them with your grasp of the simple. :clap2:

:theave:

Huh?

The most ignorant of my friends is infinitely more knowledgeable than you.

sure....okay.,...if you say so.

bye bye
:cool:

Not if I don't connect to the internet.

I have a hard drive that has never been used to go on line on which I keep anything important.

I doubt any of the most paranoid people have the government's full attention. :lol:

You on the other hand...took an oath of secrecy. Better watch it!

I can go to that same Starbucks and get all your passwords.

no you can't

Yes, I can. The only real question is how hard it would be. If it was you I could use an Addon for Firefox, if the person is more sophisticated I would need to use more complicated means to do it.

jesus christ, an extension in your own browser? I thought you were able to do things, not play with an extension :lol:

jesus, why do we sometimes overestimate you and your bs? an open unencrypted wifi network? jesus, you need so much to set up your faux voodoo, I doubt you'd be a threat to a kid with a mattel phone

from Butler "Double-click on someone, and you're instantly logged in as them."

logged in as them on FB. big effing deal. :rofl:

that is a far cry from what you were bragging you could do and people like me wonder about. jesus, you're a simpleton

you're not even in hacker 101 class...you're still using training wheels

now
stfu

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if the router encrypts everything if the user doesn't because everyone on the network would have the same encryption.

By the way, did you notice how I said it wouldn't work on intelligent users, and mentioned you specifically?

^Thanks for stopping by to make a fool of yourself.
I propose standard adoption of WPA2 and a default password of "free". Whenever you wish to connect to complimentary WiFi, you select "Courtyard Marriott" or "Starbucks" like you always have, but you are then prompted for a password.

Just type "free". It's not hard. In fact, operating system vendors could even program your PC to automatically try the password "free" before prompting you for a password on the assumption that you might be selecting a free service.

What is the value of a password if it is a "well-known secret?" WPA2 negotiates unique encryption keys with every computer that connects to it. This means you and I cannot spy on one another's traffic even when sharing access on the same access point. This is not true for WEP, but nearly all 802.11g access points (the most common) support WPA2 and can provide safe, convenient, free internet access.
Dear Starbucks: The skinny on how you can be a security hero | Naked Security

Quoting an article from 2 years ago to prove to me how much you know about security?

Think Your WPA2-encrypted Wireless Network is Secure? Think Again.

How To Crack WPA / WPA2 - SmallNetBuilder

Crack Wpa-2 Encryption Using Fern Wifi Cracker

If you are already on the network just imagine how easy it is to crack the network.

By the way,Firesheep works even in WPA2 networks.

Firesheep! :rofl:

A kiddie extension for a browser. Oh look! You can be on somebody's facebook page as them. Oh my!

please,...

spill in aisle 3

picking at Ravi for using a two year old article?

Oct 24, 2010
Firesheep

:thewave:

Last edited:
Ain't nothing free. Just wait...

And why should it be free?

Surely someone has already tossed this out by now.. The US system of roads, highways and bridges?

With a few toll-booth exceptions it's absolutely free and that bit of infrastructure, and the fact that it's free for all to use regardless of tax bracket, is arguably the reason we have the America that we enjoy today.

Ain't nothing free. Just wait...

And why should it be free?

Surely someone has already tossed this out by now.. The US system of roads, highways and bridges?

With a few toll-booth exceptions, that bit of infrastructure, and the fact that it's free for all to use regardless of tax bracket, is arguably the reason we have the America that we enjoy today.

:clap2: the obvious is striking isn't it? It's there only to be denied by ideological misfits like Windbagh who asks "proof" or "link" when one states the government has successfully built and paid for things

:eusa_think: What to give the kids and the grand kids? Hmmmmmm? :dunno:

America was built by people who had lots of children so that those children would have the debt of taking care of their parents. :laugh2:

Generations have always left debt to the children'

When did we become of nation of whiners who believe kids should come into the world with no responsibilities for those who bore them into a world they can live reasonably well in, no matter where they come from?

I was actually wondering what bit of infrastructure would be the legacy of the late 20th and early 21st Centuries. Free connectivity on the internet would be almost as impressive as properly maintaining the hard infrastructure that our parents built in the mid 20th.

I was actually wondering what bit of infrastructure would be the legacy of the late 20th and early 21st Centuries. Free connectivity on the internet would be almost as impressive as properly maintaining the hard infrastructure that our parents built in the mid 20th.

But, scary government shit, and all that! Dude! The horror!

no you can't

Yes, I can. The only real question is how hard it would be. If it was you I could use an Addon for Firefox, if the person is more sophisticated I would need to use more complicated means to do it.

jesus christ, an extension in your own browser? I thought you were able to do things, not play with an extension :lol:

jesus, why do we sometimes overestimate you and your bs? an open unencrypted wifi network? jesus, you need so much to set up your faux voodoo, I doubt you'd be a threat to a kid with a mattel phone

from Butler "Double-click on someone, and you're instantly logged in as them."

logged in as them on FB. big effing deal. :rofl:

that is a far cry from what you were bragging you could do and people like me wonder about. jesus, you're a simpleton

you're not even in hacker 101 class...you're still using training wheels

now
stfu

You also thought I was asking questions, and that you are intelligent. That is three strikes.

Forum List

Back