Free wifi for all?

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
The federal government wants to create super WiFi networks across the nation, so powerful and broad in reach that consumers could use them to make calls or surf the Internet without paying a cellphone bill every month.

The proposal from the Federal Communications Commission has rattled the $178 billion wireless industry, which has launched a fierce lobbying effort to persuade policymakers to reconsider the idea, analysts say. That has been countered by an equally intense campaign from Google, Microsoft and other tech giants who say a free-for-all WiFi service would spark an explosion of innovations and devices that would benefit most Americans, especially the poor.

Tech, telecom giants take sides as FCC proposes large public WiFi networks - The Washington Post

Here's an idea.. fix the shit they have already promised that is broken beyond belief....

True nothing is FREE....I wouldn't mind paying for super Wi-FI network. I'm constantly "wired in" and this would be excellent for me. LTE is real fast but it can get spotty at times.

I'll gladly pay for it, but that's just me

The WiFi system was already designed to be free. Each wireless router & repeater would connect with neighboring ones automatically creating a wireless network all across the city. The problem was privacy & virus infections caused people to password protect & lock down their wireless network. That killed the network & the dream died.

The WiFi system was already designed to be free. Each wireless router & repeater would connect with neighboring ones automatically creating a wireless network all across the city. The problem was privacy & virus infections caused people to password protect & lock down their wireless network. That killed the network & the dream died.

Why would that be a problem now? I can go to starbucks and use their free wifi and protect my computer.

Why would that be a problem now? I can go to starbucks and use their free wifi and protect my computer.

People did not understand how to protect their data from the network back then. Also why don't you turn on your computer's hot spot connection sharing so you are sharing with others any internet connection you may have? Are you just a user & not a provider?

People did not understand how to protect their data from the network back then. Also why don't you turn on your computer's hot spot connection sharing so you are sharing with others any internet connection you may have? Are you just a user & not a provider?
So it wouldn't be a problem now. Thanks.

Seattle ends free Wi-Fi

"Proving again that most municipal Wi-Fi efforts end in disaster, the city of Seattle ended its wireless experiment at the end of April after seven years of trying to make free broadband work. An announcement on the city’s website proclaimed"

So it wouldn't be a problem now. Thanks.

It may come closer to working if every smart-phone, router, repeater, bridge, access point, tablet, laptop & computer sold had the hot-spot internet sharing feature turned on at the factory. People just don't naturally share their network or understand how they could benefit from sharing. They also don't know how to share it.

Are you sharing???

Last edited:

Forum List

Back