Free Range parents to sue police for detaining their children

What is a bigger crime

Allowing your children to walk a mile to the park
Police detaining your children for three hours without notifying you
I'm not sure i buy into the claim that the police didn't try to notify them.

Seems too implausible.

Kids were three blocks from home

Initial response from the police should be to drive the kids home and speak to the parents. If no parent is there, either speak to a neighbor or leave a note telling them that the police have your children

WTF is a "free range" parent? Is that a way a parent absolves themselves of responsibility?

If those kids had been kidnapped, raped and killed, they would have been screaming that the police failed them.

Now, as far as the police, the screwed this one up royally, 3 hours? Both sides absolutely screwed this up.
Bullshit. I was a free range child, in fact more than likely anyone over 35 was a free range child. Why is it illegal for kids to walk?????????????????????????????????????????/

By age eight, I had a bike and would ride miles from home. As long as I made it back by supper nobody cared
Me too, in fact I was told to get the hell out of the house and play in the street..
My wife told me to do that yesterday...
Mine did too, 3 years ago, and I never went back...

What is a bigger crime

Seems too implausible.

Initial response from the police should be to drive the kids home and speak to the parents
They may have been that close, but did the kids know their address?

we're only getting one side of this story and i suspect that it's incomplete.

What is a bigger crime

Seems too implausible.

Initial response from the police should be to drive the kids home and speak to the parents

At 10 years old? Thats fifth grade

You think a kid doesn't know where he lives?

I'd sue too. How insane.

Holy hell, I agree with Ravi.

I think there are lots of issue where free thinkers, when they shed their partisanship, can come together to agree on many things.

This is a site for progressives AND libertarians.
the-free-thought-project-style-book-460.png

Search Results for free range parenting The Free Thought Project

What is a bigger crime

Seems too implausible.

They should, but i don't know if they did.

i don't know why they weren't taken home, but i do think there is likely more to this than we know right now

What is a bigger crime

Seems too implausible.

LOL! They were walking home from a park less than a mile from home. One of the first things my kids learned is to recite their address and find their way home from anywhere in the neighborhood.

Don't public schools require kids that age to walk further than this?
Yeah, but in my neighborhood I see parents sitting in their cars while their kids wait for the bus in the morning. These are middle school kids for God's sake. My bus stop in elementary school was a mile from the house and I walked to and from it everyday by myself.

WTF is a "free range" parent? Is that a way a parent absolves themselves of responsibility?

If those kids had been kidnapped, raped and killed, they would have been screaming that the police failed them.

Now, as far as the police, the screwed this one up royally, 3 hours? Both sides absolutely screwed this up.
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts.....

Those parents aren't doing anything different than my parents did.

I was allowed to go out alone as were all my childhood friends none of us were ever kidnapped or raped.

Stranger danger is just another ploy to get people to live in fear

I was allowed to go out alone as were all my childhood friends none of us were ever kidnapped or raped.

And buy guns ;)

The real worry is cars, which is the first thing you need to teach your kids is how to cross the street. If they can handle that, then they are good to go.

What is a bigger crime

Seems too implausible.

LOL! They were walking home from a park less than a mile from home. One of the first things my kids learned is to recite their address and find their way home from anywhere in the neighborhood.

I still remember the address and phone number from where I lived when I was five years old and that was over 50 years ago. That is how firmly it was drilled into my head

Seems too implausible.

I still remember the address and phone number from where I lived when I was five years old and that was over 50 years ago. That is how firmly it was drilled into my head
I still remember my phone number from when I was 5 even though it changed by the time I was 8 and i remember that one too

Seems too implausible.

Ditto. I can still picture in my head exactly the route I walked to school in first and second grade.

“Free Range” Parents Found Guilty of Child Neglect for Letting Kids Walk Home From Park
Free Range Parents Found Guilty of Child Neglect for Letting Kids Walk Home From Park The Free Thought Project

The “unsubstantiated child neglect” charge means that the case will remain in the state’s database for five years if no further reports are added to the file.

“I don’t want there to be a file. We never should have been on their radar in the first place. We shouldn’t be in their system at all and certainly not with some allegation of neglect, whether substantiated or not,” said Danielle Meitiv, a writer and science consultant.

The Meitivs intend on appealing the charge in hopes of getting it expunged. However in what sounds like a retaliatory move, Sandra Barnes, Assistant Attorney General in the Maryland Department of Human Resources claims that such a move may lead to the charge being escalated to an “indicated” child neglect case.

“I absolutely am nervous, and that’s why we have to fight this,” said Danielle. “What happens the next time? I refuse to be bullied into this, ‘We know this is right and healthy for our kids, but we’re going to keep them home because we’re scared of CPS?’ That’s just insane. That’s why we have to fight it.”

The Meitivs believe in a parenting style labeled as the free-range kids movement. They believe that giving children independence rather than helicopter parenting is a much healthier way to raise responsible children.

Ditto. I can still picture in my head exactly the route I walked to school in first and second grade.

double ditto!

i rode my bike everywhere and anywhere since i was old enough to remember!

New Topics

Forum List

Back