Free Range parents to sue police for detaining their children

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Free-range parents plan to file lawsuit after police pick up children - The Washington Post

The Meitivs’ children were picked up by police as they walked home from Ellsworth Park at 5 p.m. Sunday. Their parents had expected them home by 6 p.m. and Danielle Meitiv said they frantically searched for Rafi, 10, and Dvora, 6, before being notified at 8 p.m. that CPS had the children.
The statement issued Tuesday said the children were three blocks from their house when they were stopped by officers in three squad cars and “subjected to a terrifying detainment that no child should have to experience.”

The statement alleged that the pair were detained in a police car for almost three hours, kept from their parents for over six hours without access to food, and “not returned to the parents until almost midnight on the night before school.”

In an interview with The Washington Post, Danielle Meitiv said that her son told her the children were misled into believing police would take them home. Police had all the Meitivs’ contact information and did not call the parents, or allow the children to call their parents, the statement alleges

WTF is a "free range" parent? Is that a way a parent absolves themselves of responsibility?

If those kids had been kidnapped, raped and killed, they would have been screaming that the police failed them.

Now, as far as the police, the screwed this one up royally, 3 hours? Both sides absolutely screwed this up.

WTF is a "free range" parent? Is that a way a parent absolves themselves of responsibility?

If those kids had been kidnapped, raped and killed, they would have been screaming that the police failed them.

Now, as far as the police, the screwed this one up royally, 3 hours? Both sides absolutely screwed this up.
Bullshit. I was a free range child, in fact more than likely anyone over 35 was a free range child. Why is it illegal for kids to walk?????????????????????????????????????????/

it used to just be called "parenting" but with hover parenting being the norm, I guess it had to get a name.

Its a stupid designation meaning you don't control every minute of your childs day and allow them to actually have unsupervised play time

The cops around here were in a mess like that also, they were sued and paid....Poor cops don't even have enough gas money to patrol since there was another lawsuit over a suicide in the county jail...

Bullshit. I was a free range child, in fact more than likely anyone over 35 was a free range child. Why is it illegal for kids to walk?????????????????????????????????????????/

By age eight, I had a bike and would ride miles from home. As long as I made it back by supper nobody cared

Its a stupid designation meaning you don't control every minute of your childs day and allow them to actually have unsupervised play time

Yep. At 10 I was allowed to go around the block as much as I wanted to. In NYC you usually wait a bit before you let kids cross the street because people are assholes, but I was able to cross my own quiet street, play in it, and go around that block, and the one next to it.

By age eight, I had a bike and would ride miles from home. As long as I made it back by supper nobody cared
Most parents these days are morons sadly.

What is a bigger crime

Allowing your children to walk a mile to the park
Police detaining your children for three hours without notifying you

Me too, in fact I was told to get the hell out of the house and play in the street..

What is a bigger crime

I'm not sure i buy into the claim that the police didn't try to notify them.

Seems too implausible.

Me too, in fact I was told to get the hell out of the house and play in the street..
My wife told me to do that yesterday...

What is a bigger crime

When I was staying at the motel before moving into my place that was renovated, my 12 year old son wanted to walk to the park a mile down the road, alone, So I let him, only to have the cops bring him back and ask if I knew my son was out by himself....They questioned us separately as all pigs do and found out we both knew what he was doing at 4pm on an afternoon..

Forum List

Back