FREE Live In Concert- Granada , Manchester, England 24th July 1970 FULL HD 25 mins

Oz and the Orchestra

Platinum Member
May 25, 2020
Lake District England
At the age of 15 when I watched this in 1970, Free blew me away. Hard to believe it's now over 50 years old. Free formed in 1968. Bassist Andy Fraser was only 15. Lead Guitarist Paul Kossoff 17. And Vocalist Paul Rodgers & Drummer Simon Kirk 18. Rolling Stone has referred to the band as "British hard rock pioneers"

There follows a few comments from fans on Youtube.

R G
1 year ago (edited)
This relatively short live concert was an absolute masterpiece of blues/rock music! Free were simply way ahead of their time, Paul Rodgers, possibly the greatest vocalist who has ever lived, Paul Kossoff, a genius on the guitar who unfortunately got into drugs and died far too young, Andy Fraser, another genius on the bass guitar, which is so evident here (only 18 years of age), and a very underrated drummer in Simon Kirke, who held the band together so well. Further proof of how great this band were is the great success Rodgers and Kirke enjoyed with Bad Company, (another iconic band). Everything is brilliant here, but especially Songs of Yesterday, I'll be Creeping and All Right Now, ALL TIME CLASSICS!!!!!!
Read more

Mark Taylor8 months ago
This is one of the greatest live performances everForget the crowd / Kossofs guitar Fraser on the bass Rodgers vocals Kirkes flailing WHAT a band I don’t really think they knew how good they were

Jayboyd781 year ago
Incredible. That moment at 9.54 when the band go completely silent and then all just hit it at the same time with everything they've got. Wow.

R S1 year ago
Thank you so much for this video. It brings me back to a time that I deeply long for, when three piece bands could fill a stadium with there instruments and provided pure instrument mastery. Few people realise that Andy and Paul wrote All right now when Andy was a mere 18 years old. A world wide hit! Number 1 in the charts for weeks on end. The truth is bands like this are finished as the masses no longer appreciate "musicians" that can master their instruments. It's all about looks and a voice. Wonderful recording, and all live! Thanks again to the publisher.
Read more

Goesjem6 months ago
Simon Kirke is one of the reasons I became a drummer all those years ago. His time and feel is so special. Less is more!

daysjours6 months ago
Andy Fraser, here the cutest man on the planet. And now the best bass player in heaven. RIP, Andy.

William Yale1 year ago
Bass players awsome!

Gosia gosia guitars9 months ago
forget protools music and plugins .....this is it ......human.....killer vibe and a total sound to die for ....it will stay for another 100 years

D Snodgrass1 year ago
I love it, You can see Kossoff looking back at Simon Kirke at the beginning of "All Right Now" like "A little quick, don't ya think, man?". LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va9kf6bikgI

I didn't hear Roger's voice until 5 years later when I was 15 :) Bad Company was my first exposure to him. They really WERE pioneers. If it hadn't been for British rockers, my teen years would have been a lot less lively.

Forum List

Back